Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 11:08 PM

1 posts, read 13,460 times

Advertisements

My company is moving to Jackson.And I have to move with them.I never been down there.But I read peoples post and it don't sound good.I'm a married women and I want to feel safe.Even outside of Jackson I would move if it's a safe town with no gangs.Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 09:08 PM

6 posts, read 50,961 times
Go anywhere north of I-40, especially if planning on renting an apartment, theres plenty of other places that are great even south of there. Crime isn't that bad, or really even apparent unless your involved with unlawful activities. In nearly a year of living and working in Jackson, there is really not that many places that are unsafe to go, day or night. If you have ever lived in or near a major city, and then experience Jackson 1st hand you will laugh at how much the crime is blown out of porportion here.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:02 AM

105 posts, read 521,193 times
Exactly! I live an hour from Jackson and think nothing of jumping in the car and going day or night. I live in a one horse town, so alot of times I am in Jxn several times a week. I have two daughters living there, one married and one attends Lambuth University.

You can tell the seedy areas, just like you can any city. You should be fine. I hope you enjoy it!

Old 09-11-2009, 11:46 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,313,166 times
Jackson is just fine. The crime situation there--which is relegated mostly to one part of town (east)--is often exaggerated and projected on the entire town, when in reality, three out of four directions (north, south, and west) have very little violent crime. Even midtown Jackson with its changing demographics and deteriorating houses sees very little violent crime.

North Jackson is the going thing right now. If you want safe suburbia, go to North Jackson. If you're scared of Jackson altogether, go north to Medina or Milan or south to Henderson. All are good places.

Best wishes.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:39 PM

9 posts, read 34,143 times
I hate to be a downer here, but Jackson is not a safe place to live. I have lived in quite a few towns here in TN and in MS, and this place is not safe! We live on the North side of town and we have had our cars broken into and our camper broken into all within the past 3 months. Pretty much everyone I talk to here has been a victim of crime. Last night, my nanny had her car broken into along with 4 of her neighbors. I have a coworker who moved here and had his house (in a gated affluent neighborhood) broken into 2 times in 3 days!! Another coworker had her house broken into last week while she and her children were at home. All of these people (including myself) live on the supposedly "safe" side of town. My daycare has to call the cops fairly often to report suspicious activity and people hanging out in their parking lot. That is very scary to me as this is not a cheap or shady daycare. Also, if you watch the local news, you will notice that the first 10 minutes consists of crime reports. Unfortunately, half of the stuff that I hear about at work never seems to make the news! My family and I cannot wait to move away from here.....we do not feel safe at all!!! From what I hear, the surrounding towns are pretty safe. If I had it to do over again, we would have moved to Milan or Medina. When you read the crime stats on the city data website, don't forget that this is a town of @ 60,000. We are not talking about some huge town with a million people.....this is a small town with big crime and gang problems!! I'm sorry if I offend anyone around here, but I am speaking my honest opinion based on the personal experiences of myself and my coworkers.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:25 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,284 times
Default shake, rattle or roll...

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneyes1 View Post
My company is moving to Jackson.And I have to move with them.I never been down there.But I read peoples post and it don't sound good.I'm a married women and I want to feel safe.Even outside of Jackson I would move if it's a safe town with no gangs.Please help.

sorry. there are large gangs outside of the city of jackson. they generally are known as pentecostals or holy rollers. generally gather at shoney's on sunday and wednesday nights. stay out of this area, and you should be okay. their weapon of choice, most of the time, is snakes (copperheads or timber rattlers.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: