Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 05:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Tinman:
My wife has her CDL and I researched the subject, you will not have to retake anything except maybe an eye exam from FL to TN. They pretty much standardized the CDL so it is good everywhere now.

Mrs1885,
My heart goes out to you, We were y'all not too long ago (about 5 years or so) and it is not an easy thing. I could write a book on what disablitity does to families before the annoint you deserving enough to be paid. We also almost lost everything but all is good now, it did take almost 2 years to finally get in front of a judge who promptly asked what I was doing there. He said it should have been approved when we first applied and got really angry with the "system" and apologized for taking so long.
I think they do it on purpose just to see if you are faking and will go back to work. Hope you can hang on long enough, it sure is a heck of a way to treat a public servant especially one that put his life on the line for others on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 05:29 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Quote:
Mrs1885,
My heart goes out to you, We were y'all not too long ago (about 5 years or so) and it is not an easy thing. I could write a book on what disablitity does to families before the annoint you deserving enough to be paid. We also almost lost everything but all is good now, it did take almost 2 years to finally get in front of a judge who promptly asked what I was doing there. He said it should have been approved when we first applied and got really angry with the "system" and apologized for taking so long.
I think they do it on purpose just to see if you are faking and will go back to work. Hope you can hang on long enough, it sure is a heck of a way to treat a public servant especially one that put his life on the line for others on a daily basis.
Thank you. We're extremely blessed to have wonderful understanding parents who are in a position that they can help us until this is taken care of. It's still rough - don't like borrowing money from mommy and daddy once you're an adult, but you do what you must to put food on the table. And we count our blessings daily that we certainly are so much better off than others.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:14 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
I really thought places like this had gone away with corsets and true southern gentlemen. It's incredible. And yes, the church is a facet in life here. BUT they don't cram anything down your throat. We have wonderful neighbors. We're in a town of about 200 people. No traffic lights. No flashing lights. I think there's 3 stop signs. But there are at least 4 churches I can think of off the top of my head.

The first day we were here we had at least half the residents pull into the drive to offer to help us unpack. They all extended greetings and welcomed us to the neighborhood and the church. And that was that. They didn't hound us. They didn't shun us because we don't attend. They still stop in to say hello and wave as they drive past. And we don't attend any church. Between a house full of kids and animals, my insanely busy work schedule, and my husband's health, there's just no time or energy. But they don't push or pass judgement.

This all said, I think where I live is one of the last bastions of true southern hospitality and charm and all that is right in the world. Once you turn into the road that leads to our town, it's like stepping back 100 years. We have all the modern day conviences, but that........................ atmosphere of southern cordiality............... innocence............ whatever it is you want to call it, it's still here. It's almost like a modern day Maybury.

Thank you for such a great post. It is wonderful to hear about how your lives changed for the better when you moved to Tennessee. After living in California for the last 30 years, it is hard to imagine people being so friendly. I hope to retire in Tennessee and will be there in less than 3 weeks to look around, talk to people, and learn about your beautiful state.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:23 PM

18 posts, read 61,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rschmeer View Post
I was interested in anything I can learn about living in Tennessee. I currently live in Florida. I moved here 2 years ago because it was inexpensive and I have a family to raise. My husband and I hate it here ! Where did the nice people go?

Anyway, we would like a place with good schools and great people. We now have a 4 year old and a brand new baby. My husband is currently getting his CDL and we both have been working. We are both in our early 20's and very hard workers. We prefer that I will be able to work part-time so that I can spent allot of my time with the children. Being near people our age would be nice but it takes a back seat to having a wholesome place for my kids to grow up.

We are not very religious so we would like to find a town that doesn't fully revolve around its churches. We do respect people religions however!

Less expensive housing is a plus but we would work hard if it meant not moving our children around from place to place so we are really trying to find somewhere to start new family roots.

.......We're drowning in Florida! Please help. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks
My husband and I visited Chattanooga, TN 13 years ago and never left. We now live in on Flat Top mountain, 20 miles from Chatt. near Dunlap, TN. Dunlap is a great community - great schools, hometown values. Homes start around $75,000+. There are several manufacturing companies here and of course, lots of people live in Dunlap and work in Chatt. We built a log home 4 years ago (that's what my husband does for a living) on 3 acres and we love it. If you like a slower paced lifestyle, but a place with new schools and lots of young families moving in, Dunlap is definately a place you should check out.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:01 AM

451 posts, read 1,371,969 times
Mrs,
How heartwarming it was to read your posting about Bone Cave, TN! My grandparents lived there when i was a child and i LOVED visiting! Many fond memories of the area. I'm so glad it hasn't changed over the years.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:24 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn5 View Post
Mrs,
How heartwarming it was to read your posting about Bone Cave, TN! My grandparents lived there when i was a child and i LOVED visiting! Many fond memories of the area. I'm so glad it hasn't changed over the years.
Really?? I love talking to people that have memories of Bone Cave! I've met a grand total of 3 people that know where it is!! Not including those of us that live there of course. Even the realtor had no clue where it was when I mentioned it to her. I'd found it on the internet and printed the info on the house but could find no info on here about the town. Had to just go off the Rock Island info and hope it was similar. Now that we're here we realize the towns are not all that similar, but thankfully the crime rate is just as non-existant!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:07 AM

451 posts, read 1,371,969 times
My cousin and i would go into the woods behind Grandpa's house and swing on the grapevines...lol.... we also built a raft and became Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer on Grandpa's pond... Some of the best days of my life were spent there. Glad to hear it hasn't changed.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:52 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Thumbs up Cdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Tinman:
My wife has her CDL and I researched the subject, you will not have to retake anything except maybe an eye exam from FL to TN. They pretty much standardized the CDL so it is good everywhere now.

Mrs1885,
My heart goes out to you, We were y'all not too long ago (about 5 years or so) and it is not an easy thing. I could write a book on what disability does to families before the annoint you deserving enough to be paid. We also almost lost everything but all is good now, it did take almost 2 years to finally get in front of a judge who promptly asked what I was doing there. He said it should have been approved when we first applied and got really angry with the "system" and apologized for taking so long.
That's why in 1989-90 they made the CDL standard for all who drove commercial vehicle.Too many truckers had 6-8 state license.The one item I have not found out is the road test?I have a Class B with all endorsements,I have called written and stop by the DMV in Crossville and got a half baked answer on the driving test.If your not working and don't have access too a rig for your class then you will have too go find one borrow or rent then find some one with that Class CDL too drive it too the road course.Just wondering how many people of this forum that have moved from what ever state too TN had any problems getting their current state CDL changed over too a TN CDL, and did they have too take only the eye exam or written and road test again? Not knowing what Class CDL you have I'm going by my past experiences.Dealing with other states.....DMV.......

Old 07-18-2007, 07:27 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
That's why in 1989-90 they made the CDL standard for all who drove commercial vehicle.Too many truckers had 6-8 state license.The one item I have not found out is the road test?I have a Class B with all endorsements,I have called written and stop by the DMV in Crossville and got a half baked answer on the driving test.If your not working and don't have access too a rig for your class then you will have too go find one borrow or rent then find some one with that Class CDL too drive it too the road course.Just wondering how many people of this forum that have moved from what ever state too TN had any problems getting their current state CDL changed over too a TN CDL, and did they have too take only the eye exam or written and road test again? Not knowing what Class CDL you have I'm going by my past experiences.Dealing with other states.....DMV.......
I'm kind of confused, let me see if I understood you, if you move to TN and just want to change your valid class B all you will have to do is take an eye exam. If you move to TN and want to upgrade your valid class B to an A you will have to take more tests. At least this is what I undersand from TN DMV. Even when we moved to NC which makes all class D (car) drivers take a test to transfer all my wife had to do was a vison test. Hope this helps.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:32 AM

24,767 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Thumbs up Cdl

From what I was told entering from one state too another on Class A or Class B you would need the eye test and the road test? From what I was told!! I was trying find out..... So just surrender your other state license take a eye exam and poff you know have a Tennessee Class A or B CDL.With your current endorsements from previous state.
The reason I question this because of the endorsements air brakes - tank - hazard. The topic came up if you where driving a bus/truck with air brakes,then you needed a road test. I was just curious because of all the different answers and the time I had ask the clerk at DMV she was some where on the answer.
Thanks for the information.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee