Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Tennessee population increase, census figures, fastest growing states, Florida statistics, state accommodation, Smoky Mountains, sandy beaches, replenish water supply, overdevelopment, traffic and parking issues

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 04:34 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times

Advertisements

In today's Tennessean, Census figures show that Tennessee's population has topped 6 million, adding 83,000 between mid-2005 and mid-2006 and making Tennessee the 10th fastest growing state in the union. 50,000 of those are move-ins from other states.

By contrast, Florida is the 2nd fastest growing state and added over 320,000 in one year. Texas is number one, adding about 580,000 in one year.

While I'm glad that so many people are recognizing what a wonderful place Tennessee is, I'm still amazed that so many more people are choosing to live in Florida. I'm a native Floridian, and frankly, they can have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2006, 04:38 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Yes. It's pretty amazing how many people still insist on moving to Florida.

I'm on the Florida forum a lot. It's typical for someone to post a thread asking what it is like in Florida. The locals tell them how bad it is. Then the original poster says something like, "Oh come on. You're lying."

I think people have it in their heads that Florida is this tropical paradise, and no amount of telling them different is going to change that.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

I'm on the Florida forum a lot. It's typical for someone to post a thread asking what it is like in Florida. The locals tell them how bad it is. Then the original poster says something like, "Oh come on. You're lying."

I think people have it in their heads that Florida is this tropical paradise, and no amount of telling them different is going to change that.
Seriously! I just don't get it. I guess if you're from New Jersey or Buffalo, Florida is a tropical paradise. I don't see how Florida can accommodate such continued growth. I mean, Florida has plenty of land, but the water table is being sucked up to the point that they need hurricanes just to replenish the water supply.

The beaches are nice, but I'll take the Smoky Mountains over a sandy beach any day.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:36 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

The bad part, though, is some of those people will wind up in Tennessee and North Carolina, They'll move to Tennessee and North Carolina to get away from too many people, too much traffic, high insurance, high utilities and put little thought into the place they are running to other than having some idealized vision of a small mountain town or an urban hip scene. They won't be able to afford to move back to the Northern cities and towns they left for Florida or they won't want to go back there because they have become accustomed to warmer weather, one of the things that actually attracted them to Florida. When they get to Tennessee and North Carolina, and realize it's not like what they are used to (on things other than crowding and high costs - their whole basis for moving to TN/NC), they'll whine and complain about their new location and the people and town not meeting their standards (apparently their great intelligence doesn't extend to common sense). When enough of them get to their TN/NC town, they will try to change the place to make it more like the places they left, still not having a clue that they greatly contributed to the *rappiness and cost of living in present-day parts of Florida and now they're doing it again.

But, you know - it's always the locals are stupid/backwards/Yankee-hating/job coveting/lazy/intolerant/sub-standard/hick yahoos - unlike their elite/intelligent/cultured/open-minded/my you-know-what doesn't stink selves.

I think North Carolina is experiencing this right now - bad traffic/parking, overdevelopment, knock down every stinkin' tree so people can live in a new house, overcrowded schools, more malls, etc. I heard it and eyeballed it myself back in May/early June. The NC city-data forum is illuminating if you want to know what Tennessee will be like in a few more years.

Old 12-22-2006, 05:51 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossMann View Post
(posters have used code language on this website like "illegal immigrants", "nobody speaks English", "you won't here too much Rap Music here", and other assorted, veiled, almost racist 'speak').

So if I don't like illegal immigration, people who can't speak English, and rap music, and on top of that I like to be around white people, this is bad? Hmmm, I thought I was entitled to an opinion in America.

BTW, this country was built on immigrants for sure, but there is a certain culture of leech illegals who wait for other legal citizens to develop an area and make it prosperous, then they leech onto it and whine about it not being supportive enough of their wants and needs. Maybe they should go develop an area by themselves if they have so many complaints and demands.

Old 12-22-2006, 06:19 PM

98 posts, read 431,046 times
Nice generalizations bossMann.. There are "dumb" people everywhere. Tennessee is nothing special compared to the other 49 states in the U.S? Have you lived in all other 49 states?

Let's see what Tennessee has to offer compared to some other states. Tennessee has mountains. Do Florida, Kansas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc? No they don't. If someone likes mountains, then Tennessee offers something for them that other states DO NOT.

Every state is unique. People who like flat, warm peninsulas will move to Florida. You're surprised at the attempt to hype moving anywhere? You obviously have never been happy at any location if you can't find any reason to "hype" your home. An Alaskan resident would "hype" the fact that they have beautiful mountains, wildlife, and a virtually untouched frontier. Would it be odd for them to brag about this?

Go into East Knoxville and tell me that Tennessee is just made of "anglos." There are communities in every single state that have different races of people. Perhaps you've just been hanging out with "dumb" white people, since that's all you think Tennessee has. There is plenty of "rap music" in East Tennessee, if that's what you're looking for.

Also, what does this statement mean?

Quote:
every one in S Florida that speaks "Spanish" are not illegal immigrants at all
So you are stating that every single Spanish speaker in south Florida is not an illegal immigrant. There may be some "dumb" people in East Tennessee, but most know how to formulate sentences that make sense.

I'm sorry if this post comes off as harsh but I take offense to everything you said so I believe it is justified. I have lived in 8 states, 3 countries, and the District of Columbia. East Tennessee is one of the best locations that I have ever lived. I have about 5 months left until my next move and I'll definitely miss East Tennessee.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:54 PM

19 posts, read 68,331 times
I would venture to guess that a lot of the growth in Florida (and Texas, for that matter) is from people who are not from this country. Florida would have been a nice place to move about 40 years ago, but these days it's just completely overdeveloped. It's amazing, if you drive along the "beach" in Florida you'll never actually see the ocean behind all the high-rise hotels and condos.

I am all for people from Florida relocating to Tennessee, as long as they know what they're getting into. Since I don't live in east Tennessee myself, it won't really affect me unless they all start swarming Nashville! But there is a fear that a lot of people have that they're going to complain about Tennessee as well. The other fear, obviously, is that they'll turn Tennessee into something like the place they left behind, except with mountains instead of beaches and not-as-warm weather. It's a real fear, since the areas that everybody seems to want to move to (the Great Smokies, which are just the far eastern end of Tennessee, for one) are relatively small and there's not a lot of interest in moving to the entire western third of the state, and considerably less in moving to middle Tennessee as well. Speaking of which, there are a few pretty spots in middle Tennessee (and even a couple in west Tennessee) that nobody on here seems to talk much about, but are more likely to retain their rural character than, say, the Gatlinburg area.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:59 PM

19 posts, read 68,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossMann View Post
Some of the dumbest folks I've ever met have been in Memphis( especially)and in East Tn, now it's turning into some sort of attraction for those idiots who can't live in Florida anymore ! No doubt NC and TN will be populated by a variety of more losers ! I've lived in TN, it's nothing that special at all when compared to 49 other states in the US ! I'm surprised at all of the attempts to hype moving anywhere ! It seems that people hype E TN in particular because of its lack of real diversity (posters have used code language on this website like "illegal immigrants", "nobody speaks English", "you won't here too much Rap Music here", and other assorted, veiled, almost racist 'speak').
I remember reading a National Geographic article about the Ozarks a few years ago and it seemed to be a common sentiment among the locals (and real estate agents) that they were "free of 'em" (you know what I'm talking about.) It wouldn't surprise me if east TN is the same way. Now, I am not saying that this is the reason many people want to move to east Tennessee, but you'll notice that few people on this board are looking to move to west Tennessee (yeah, it's flat, and there's not a lot there outside of Memphis, but it would seem that if you're looking for a rural area with cheap land that's likely to "stay" rural west Tennessee would be a better bet.) But few people are really thinking about that. I guess Kansas is likely to stay rural as well.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:42 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,364 times
not to change the subject but, how many worry about there lil peice of the country life being gobbled up by the so called urbanization.

you've lived out in the country to yourself, no neighbors, peace & quiet for years then 1 day comes the heavy equipment and poof goes all the trees, in comes all the concrete & blacktop, cookie cutter houses & gated communities spring up, then naturally come all the businesses along with traffic.

your lil peice of heaven just went to the dogs, on to the next place 10 yrs later same thing.

Old 12-23-2006, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNashville View Post
I would venture to guess that a lot of the growth in Florida (and Texas, for that matter) is from people who are not from this country. Florida would have been a nice place to move about 40 years ago, but these days it's just completely overdeveloped. It's amazing, if you drive along the "beach" in Florida you'll never actually see the ocean behind all the high-rise hotels and condos.

I am all for people from Florida relocating to Tennessee, as long as they know what they're getting into. Since I don't live in east Tennessee myself, it won't really affect me unless they all start swarming Nashville! But there is a fear that a lot of people have that they're going to complain about Tennessee as well. The other fear, obviously, is that they'll turn Tennessee into something like the place they left behind, except with mountains instead of beaches and not-as-warm weather. It's a real fear, since the areas that everybody seems to want to move to (the Great Smokies, which are just the far eastern end of Tennessee, for one) are relatively small and there's not a lot of interest in moving to the entire western third of the state, and considerably less in moving to middle Tennessee as well. Speaking of which, there are a few pretty spots in middle Tennessee (and even a couple in west Tennessee) that nobody on here seems to talk much about, but are more likely to retain their rural character than, say, the Gatlinburg area.
You're probably right about the international migration to Texas and Florida. According to city-data.com stats, about 1/3 of the migration to Florida between 2000-2004 was international migration. (And that's just those who were legal...)

I think some parts of East Tennessee, most notably the Gatlinburg-Pigeon area, are already like South Florida: outrageous traffic, ridiculous crowds, escalating real estate prices, pollution. About the only thing that hasn't happened (yet) is high property tax rates.

I would venture to guess that out of the 50,000 people who moved to Tennessee in the last year, most were to Middle Tennessee. The Nashville area is booming, its employment growth is much faster than anywhere else in the state. I guess more people in this forum are more interested in a quieter life in a more mountainous part of the state. Nashville's housing is also the most expensive in the state. I personally think Nashville is one of the most attractive big cities in the country. I couldn't care less, however, about its cookie-cutter suburbs (Hendersonville, Mount Juliet, Smyrna, Brentwood, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee