Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:17 AM

230 posts, read 553,295 times

Advertisements

For those who moved to TN, I'm curious to know where you looked, visited, considered, or even lived before moving to TN.

The only other place we have given genuine consideration to is, Colorado. That may be out of ignorance. While I've travelled a good bit in my life, I certainly haven't been everywhere.

I'm interested in where you looked, where you choose, and why you did so, if I may be so inquisitive. Thanks, and I look forward to reading your stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 06:17 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I was born in MA and lived in the MA/CT area for 33 years. I also lived in Orlando and the southwest area of Florida.

In 2005, I did strongly consider Charlotte, North Carolina but realized that there were a lot of transplants heading that way. I wanted to avoid a transient area. I seriously looked at Johnson City, Elizabethton, Cleveland, Chattanooga, Madisonville, Sweetwater, Maryville and Friendsville, all in Tennessee, before settling in Knoxville. I also very briefly considered Nashville, Murfreesboro and Memphis and at one time thought we might even move to Fort Smith Arkansas.

I do not regret my decision.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:49 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Made the mistake of looking at North East corner of Georgia.... All I can say..It's not my cup of tea.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:13 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Does it count if I had the opportunity to move to nearly any state of my choice and I chose to stay in TN?
I lived in Memphis for 20+ years and wanted out.

I looked at
1. My home state of MI (Grand Rapids area) -love the lake MI beaches and there is a lot to do for fun, but after more than half my life in the south I wasn't sure I could handle shoveling snow any more.
2. St Louis area -lots of fun and inexpensive things to do, but the weather wasn't any better than Memphis. Too hot in summer and even colder in winter.
3. Fayetteville AR - up and coming from the look of things, but too hot and humid in the summer.
4. Asheville, Boone, Blowing Rock NC - after looking closer they seem more like a place I'd like to visit than live, and a bit isolated for me.
5. Pittsburgh PA area -not real sure about the combination of steep hills and a good amount of snow, but if I were to move again I'd reconsider Pittsburgh.

The final decision came down to the Roanoke/Blacksburg area of VA and the tri-cities area of TN.
Part of what decided me on the tri-cities was the overall COL, housing costs, no state income tax, etc.
Plus I really love the fact that the area has a decent sized population spread out over three small cities. It eliminates some of the hassle of life in a bigger city. I sort of feel like Goldilocks who found a place that was not too hot, not too cold, not too big, not too small, but juuuuust right.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I was born in MA and lived in the MA/CT area for 33 years. I also lived in Orlando and the southwest area of Florida.

In 2005, I did strongly consider Charlotte, North Carolina but realized that there were a lot of transplants heading that way. I wanted to avoid a transient area. I seriously looked at Johnson City, Elizabethton, Cleveland, Chattanooga, Madisonville, Sweetwater, Maryville and Friendsville, all in Tennessee, before settling in Knoxville. I also very briefly considered Nashville, Murfreesboro and Memphis and at one time thought we might even move to Fort Smith Arkansas.

I do not regret my decision.
When did you live in Central Fl? The last decade's acceleration of degeneration is astounding.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Does it count if I had the opportunity to move to nearly any state of my choice and I chose to stay in TN?
I lived in Memphis for 20+ years and wanted out.

I looked at
1. My home state of MI (Grand Rapids area) -love the lake MI beaches and there is a lot to do for fun, but after more than half my life in the south I wasn't sure I could handle shoveling snow any more.
2. St Louis area -lots of fun and inexpensive things to do, but the weather wasn't any better than Memphis. Too hot in summer and even colder in winter.
3. Fayetteville AR - up and coming from the look of things, but too hot and humid in the summer.
4. Asheville, Boone, Blowing Rock NC - after looking closer they seem more like a place I'd like to visit than live, and a bit isolated for me.
5. Pittsburgh PA area -not real sure about the combination of steep hills and a good amount of snow, but if I were to move again I'd reconsider Pittsburgh.

The final decision came down to the Roanoke/Blacksburg area of VA and the tri-cities area of TN.
Part of what decided me on the tri-cities was the overall COL, housing costs, no state income tax, etc.
Plus I really love the fact that the area has a decent sized population spread out over three small cities. It eliminates some of the hassle of life in a bigger city. I sort of feel like Goldilocks who found a place that was not too hot, not too cold, not too big, not too small, but juuuuust right.
HA! We made a similar comparison to Goldilocks. Colorado certainly has a some astounding views and a great climate but cost of living and state income tax were 2 of the things that stuck out for us.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Made the mistake of looking at North East corner of Georgia.... All I can say..It's not my cup of tea.
Lived in Mobile AL for a year... Felt the same way.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:02 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
We chose Tenn. over Mass. because the company here gave us a better offer. It was a huge mistake - not because of Tenn., but the company was the worst place my husband ever worked. Couldn't find another job here, so we're moving again.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:15 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
I was born here in Hardeman County Tennessee. I spent my career in San Luis Obispo California. I couldnt even come close to being able to afford to retire out there. So I came home. Between myself.My sisters and some cousins, we control about 1000 acres of very nice land that surrounds a 200 acre,spring fed lake. This land has been in my family since the late 1700's. So I always knew I had a place to "come home" to. If I hadnt had this land to retire to, I would give serious consideration to the area around Beaufort, South Carolina. Shoot! If my kids dont start behaving themselves, I may just spend thier inheritance and buy me a shack on one of the little estuarys down there! Its a fishermans dream!

Old 07-29-2011, 08:25 AM

50 posts, read 123,050 times
We're from Michigan and had decided to move south when we retired to avoid the harsh winters. We also wanted to live in/near the mountains both for the beauty and the cooler temps in summer.
We had vacationed several times in NC and enjoyed Brevard/Waynesville/Maggie Valley areas. In the fall of 2009 we were headed down there once more for vacation but there was a rock slide on I-40 so we decided to travel through east TN and spend a few days and then go on down to NC. We ended up staying two weeks and never even went to NC. It just felt like home here.
I was forced into retirement a few months later and now here we are living in Carter County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee