Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 PM

20 posts, read 31,382 times

Advertisements

So, we have narrowed down our search to TN and now I am wondering should I consider other areas in TN besides Knoxville? We really want the mountains, hiking, biking, etc.....but we also want decent wages for nurses. I am really disappointed at what Knoxville is paying their nurses. Are there better paying hospitals out there with the same activities that the Smoky Mountains have to offer?

Please someone give me some hope!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 10:05 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,071,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailNurse View Post
So, we have narrowed down our search to TN and now I am wondering should I consider other areas in TN besides Knoxville? We really want the mountains, hiking, biking, etc.....but we also want decent wages for nurses. I am really disappointed at what Knoxville is paying their nurses. Are there better paying hospitals out there with the same activities that the Smoky Mountains have to offer?

Please someone give me some hope!

You state that you are disappointed with wages of around $43,000 per year....IMHO....you will not be happy in TN, even though cost of living will be cheaper...... You seem to be very disturbed with this.

How about Ashville on the otherside of the Smokies...

My guess would be you might make an extra $ or 2 by some really hard searching.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:09 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
You state that you are disappointed with wages of around $43,000 per year....IMHO....you will not be happy in TN, even though cost of living will be cheaper...... You seem to be very disturbed with this.

How about Ashville on the otherside of the Smokies...

My guess would be you might make an extra $ or 2 by some really hard searching.
Why do so many people want everything but arent willing to give up anything to get it? I hope the OP knows that the few extra $$ she will make elsewhere will be eaten up by state income taxes. If money is the OPs most important factor in choosing where to live, she may wish to look someplace other than Tennessee. Most of us have had to sacrifice something for the priviledge of living here.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:28 AM

230 posts, read 553,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Why do so many people want everything but arent willing to give up anything to get it? I hope the OP knows that the few extra $$ she will make elsewhere will be eaten up by state income taxes. If money is the OPs most important factor in choosing where to live, she may wish to look someplace other than Tennessee. Most of us have had to sacrifice something for the priviledge of living here.
The math has to work out. Coming from central Florida, it's 30-40% cheaper to live in Cookeville TN. Keep in mind, Florida has no state income tax. That doesn't mean she can (or should) take a 40% pay cut. Giving up a percentage of your pay is probably something that will have to happen but it's hard to hate on her for looking for the best balance of cost of living/wages.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:38 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
The math has to work out. Coming from central Florida, it's 30-40% cheaper to live in Cookeville TN. Keep in mind, Florida has no state income tax. That doesn't mean she can (or should) take a 40% pay cut. Giving up a percentage of your pay is probably something that will have to happen but it's hard to hate on her for looking for the best balance of cost of living/wages.
I certainly dont hate on her. But as retired operating room nurse I know full well that $$ isnt the best reason to be a nurse.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:47 AM

230 posts, read 553,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I certainly dont hate on her. But as retired operating room nurse I know full well that $$ isnt the best reason to be a nurse.
You are probably 100% right about that, living in the area you do. Let's just say the "patient" is a different animal in many other areas. My wife is a CT tech and her family are all either in radiology or nurses. Their stories are overwhelmed with the drug/food/sleep seekers who are rude, spitting, etc. Very few stories are about helping people anymore. It's sad, actually. It quickly becomes about the money when you're faced with that day in and day out.

A mental shift is definitely needed when moving to TN!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Knoxville is the largest city that is close to the Smokies. There's a good chance that she's not going to find what she's looking for.

Yes, she go over to the other side in Asheville and she MIGHT get a few dollars more. Then again, she might not. But the COL is higher.

For instance, housing in more. My guess is she won't be paying electric rates that those of us in the Knoxville area enjoy, thanks to the TVA. And then there is the taxes.

North Carolina has a tax burden of 16th in the country. Tennessee is 47th. That's an enormous difference.

The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens: All States, One Year, 1977 - 2009

But we are a practical lot here, in Knoxville, and we like our residents to see the forest from the trees. Some need not apply. I've found over the years that the folks that keep looking for problems generally find them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee