Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2007, 08:52 PM

1,093 posts, read 471,486 times

Advertisements

We just returned to Pennsylvania after exploring the Knoxville area during your heat wave. We found the hot weather great we really enjoyed the warm mornings Returning to a 41 degree morning in August is another reason for us to retire to a warmer climate and we were just thinking about the winter cold and snow.

We found the people to be helpful and friendly. We were able to eliminate a few areas. We have found the areas around Kingston, Lenoir City, and Maryville to be what we are looking for. We will not retire for 4 years so we have plenty of time to research and explore and find our niche. 4 years sounds long but it will go quickly I'm sure. I can't wait for our next visit.

One thing that we really loved was the way the area looks. We kept saying we felt like we were driving in PA. We love our trees and counrtyside here, Tennessee offers that same thing to us with warmer temperatures, little snow, beautiful lakes, and a relaxed people.

Thanks again to all the people who gave advice and guidance prior to our trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 09:06 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah53 View Post
We just returned to Pennsylvania after exploring the Knoxville area during your heat wave. We found the hot weather great we really enjoyed the warm mornings Returning to a 41 degree morning in August is another reason for us to retire to a warmer climate and we were just thinking about the winter cold and snow.

We found the people to be helpful and friendly. We were able to eliminate a few areas. We have found the areas around Kingston, Lenoir City, and Maryville to be what we are looking for. We will not retire for 4 years so we have plenty of time to research and explore and find our niche. 4 years sounds long but it will go quickly I'm sure. I can't wait for our next visit.

One thing that we really loved was the way the area looks. We kept saying we felt like we were driving in PA. We love our trees and counrtyside here, Tennessee offers that same thing to us with warmer temperatures, little snow, beautiful lakes, and a relaxed people.

Thanks again to all the people who gave advice and guidance prior to our trip.
Glad you enjoyed your trip. My wife and I were in Tennessee last week. We like the Cookeville, Monterey, and Crossville areas. We have purchased a 4 acre lot near Monterey. Just as you did, we enjoyed our stay as well.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:17 PM

364 posts, read 1,112,700 times
I heard 105 in Memphis and my sister in law said 102 in Chattanooga, but she likes to exgagerate. I go next week and am not looking forward to those but so want to see the view.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:36 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
Smile Good reports, jguillot and Deborah53!

Congrats, jguillot. I hope you enjoy your new home when the time comes to build and then move in. We thought that that was a nice area, too.

Deborah53, I'm glad that you enjoyed your trip to TN so much, also. It's interesting that you brought up how much it reminded you of PA. Having grown up in N. Central PA my husband and I have said the very same thing. It feels like we are going home when we visit TN (10 days to go til our next visit!). You are right; the next 4 years will go by quickly. You have a goal.

We, too, are quite taken with the charm and warmth extended to us in Maryville. We will be concentrating our home-search there the last week of August. I can't wait.

Best of everything to both of you.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:51 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWAddict View Post
I heard 105 in Memphis and my sister in law said 102 in Chattanooga, but she likes to exgagerate. I go next week and am not looking forward to those but so want to see the view.
She's probably not exaggerating in this case. We've been busting temperature records for the past two weeks in parts of Tennessee. Some of the records were fifty years old.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:01 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Fortunately, it's not as humid here as it is in Florida. There's a good 25-degree temperature change from the morning low to the afternoon high. So while it gets to 95-100 during the day, it's 70-75 at night.

Walking across campus here in Knoxville in the 95-degree heat isn't nearly as sweaty as walking around Disney World.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:01 PM

364 posts, read 1,112,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
She's probably not exaggerating in this case. We've been busting temperature records for the past two weeks in parts of Tennessee. Some of the records were fifty years old.
Bummer. Its hot down here in SFLA to the point you cant breath so I was hoping to escape it. But at least she says the mornings and nights are ok.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:40 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
It'll be better in East Tennessee than it is in Middle or West Tennessee.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:20 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Yes, here in East TN the last few days it has still been in the 90's at the peak of the day, but the humidity has backed off compared to last few weeks. Right now it is 62 degrees but the weather man says lows of 68 degrees, go figure hahahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee