Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2006, 08:46 PM
JRR JRR started this thread

8,165 posts, read 5,657,641 times

Advertisements

We are considering retiring from Central Florida to Tennessee (as all Floridians seem to be). Greeneville is a city that we are interested in and we plan on making a short stop there on our way to Ohio next month, just to get a quick glimpse of the area. We probably will spend a couple of hours and have lunch there. I know that this is a real short amount of time, but can anyone think of anything in particular that we should take a look at while we are there?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 12:18 AM

8 posts, read 43,422 times
we are living in Greeneville, moved here for s. fla in may.
your question is very open. what are you interested in?

Old 09-25-2006, 09:13 PM
JRR JRR started this thread

8,165 posts, read 5,657,641 times
Default Quirt111

Hi Quirt111. I have sent you a personal message with more of an explanation of what kind of information I am looking for.

For anyone else who might see this, I'm looking for any information on the downtown area, the college campus, main day to day shopping area(s), indications on the general economic health of the area (empty buildings/businesses), any particularly scenic areas around/any particularly bad areas, etc

Old 09-26-2006, 08:18 AM

265 posts, read 904,672 times
Default Me too!

Hi, I don't want to steal the thread, but my husband I are are also interested in Greeneville and the surrounding area. We want at least 30 acres (the more the better) and my husband would want to work part-time as a CPA. I board horses in Florida and would like to do the same in TN on a small scale. We like the amenities of Greeneville, but would like to live "outside" of town. I worry about picking the wrong "out of town" spot as I have told that some little areas don't care for outsiders and I worry that the realtor would not know, or just not disclose that bit of info.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:53 AM

96 posts, read 563,266 times
Cool We are interested in retiring to Greeneville....

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirt111 View Post
we are living in Greeneville, moved here for s. fla in may.
your question is very open. what are you interested in?
....My wife & I are very interested in exploring the prospect of retiring to Greeneville and, as such, are NOT interested in , Golf , Jobs, Schools or Large Property ( don't want anything over 1/2 acre ), or 2 Car Garage.....We ARE interested in Affordable Housing ( What is average cost of 3 Bedroom, 2 Bath House in Greeneville ? ); Good Healthcare ( How far are you from Good Hospitals ? ) ; Retirement Activities ( Lakes, Nearby Shopping/Dining ? ).....We are more interested in Houses situated in the vicinity of ( not on top of ) Mountains, Forests, etc. rather than Houses situated in specific School Districts ----Would you consider Greeneville to be " retirement friendly " ?? If so, How ??

Old 10-12-2006, 06:04 PM

8 posts, read 43,422 times
We have been involved in Greeneville now for 3.5 yrs. We bought our land then and had our house built and finally moved here full time in May 06. We all love it so far. Average 3/2 home I would say for a nice place could be had for around $125,000-$150,000. Modular doublewides less than that. There are 2 good hospitals right downtown. Greeneville is oriented around family life and family culture. Yes there is the "locals" type close knit shell that might seem hard to penetrate at 1st but if you give it some effort and treat people the way you would wish to be treated you can fit in just fine but keep in mind that there are many people moving here now that the "locals" are becoming the minority, most days I meet more people who have moved here from other places than I do locals. There are plenty of retirees here and more seem to be moving in on a daily basis, I dont mean people over 62 yrs old but ret military, civil service etc, people semi retiring in their 40s. Plenty of Walgrees, CVS and QUALITY food shopping, Ingles is every bit as good and better than Publix any day with the exception of Publix bakery, I can attest to Ingles/Publix comparison from 25 yrs of being forced to eat Publix tough grizzly meat and rotted gas ripened produce then finally get a chance to eat some quality food on a regular basis. The area is growing I have noticed that in the past 3 yrs but what area is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: