Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM

52 posts, read 95,434 times

Advertisements

Im going to be visiting Tennessee again. What's it like living in Paris, Huntingdon and Camden? Doing some research it seems Paris Tennessee would be a good option to check out. Im guessing theres nothing fun to do in this part of tennessee, but it looks like this part of tennessee would be better for growing food which is way more important for me and my dad.

Also Whats it like living in Clarksville Tennessee these days, it looks promising because I know being able to get a job is important to. Also fancy dining isnt important, golden corral, dennys is our fancy dining but even that we could learn to live without. Any other small towns east of Jackson and west of the 65 you could think of that I should visit would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 03:06 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,339,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_leavin View Post
Im going to be visiting Tennessee again. What's it like living in Paris, Huntingdon and Camden? Doing some research it seems Paris Tennessee would be a good option to check out. Im guessing theres nothing fun to do in this part of tennessee, but it looks like this part of tennessee would be better for growing food which is way more important for me and my dad.

Also Whats it like living in Clarksville Tennessee these days, it looks promising because I know being able to get a job is important to. Also fancy dining isnt important, golden corral, dennys is our fancy dining but even that we could learn to live without. Any other small towns east of Jackson and west of the 65 you could think of that I should visit would be appreciated.
Paris and Camden aren't far from Kentucky Lake (the Tennessee River), so as for fun, there's definitely boat/water recreation within a very reasonable distance. Paris is also known for having the "World's Biggest Fish Fry." Not sure if you're interested.

Clarksville is a different animal altogether. It's more than 10x larger than Paris, has a decent sized state university, and is associated heavily with Fort Campbell, which is one of the largest Army installations in the country. It is very much a military town, though not everyone there is associated with it. The economy is quite dependent on it, though.

As for other towns, Dover is a neat little town right on Lake Barkley (Cumberland River) about halfway between Paris and Clarksville. It sits at the foot of Land Between The Lakes, a 170,000 acre National Recreation area known for it's wildlife.

Also, Erin, TN is a pretty place...though both it and Dover are, and I stress, TINY.

Waverly is a little bigger, and situated opposite the Tennessee River from Camden.

I think it probably comes down to preference. You could spend a couple of days and pretty extensively cover these small towns.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:07 PM

550 posts, read 1,283,165 times
Until very recently I haven't been to Clarksville in about 20 years. I was surprised to find out how expensive housing was there - though it would probably be cheap by California standards. Expect housing in Paris to be significantly cheaper than Clarksville.

You mentioned growing things: I know that in middle and east TN there isn't much topsoil. Bedrock is just below the surface. West TN is just the opposite. Plenty of soil here and you probably won't find bedrock even if you try. However, if you want to go with a raised bed garden, then middle or east TN shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I don't think Paris has a Denny's or Golden Corral.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:13 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,399,447 times
What kinds of things do you like to do for fun. Fishing? Hunting? Bowling? Reading? It's all about you. No place is perfect for everybody. And are you talking about visiting for fun or moving? Two totally different things!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Paris and Camden aren't far from Kentucky Lake (the Tennessee River), so as for fun, there's definitely boat/water recreation within a very reasonable distance. Paris is also known for having the "World's Biggest Fish Fry." Not sure if you're interested.

Clarksville is a different animal altogether. It's more than 10x larger than Paris, has a decent sized state university, and is associated heavily with Fort Campbell, which is one of the largest Army installations in the country. It is very much a military town, though not everyone there is associated with it. The economy is quite dependent on it, though.

As for other towns, Dover is a neat little town right on Lake Barkley (Cumberland River) about halfway between Paris and Clarksville. It sits at the foot of Land Between The Lakes, a 170,000 acre National Recreation area known for it's wildlife.
Lots of good info on this post I guess by fun I was talking about beaches, roller coasters etc, but those things are fun for a day, but nothing beats what nature gave us, boating is way more fun to me.I'll defanatly have to check out Dover. I lived in Oroville Ca and it was surrounded by water, Id love to have that again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981
You mentioned growing things: I know that in middle and east TN there isn't much topsoil. Bedrock is just below the surface. West TN is just the opposite. Plenty of soil here and you probably won't find bedrock even if you try. However, if you want to go with a raised bed garden, then middle or east TN shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I don't think Paris has a Denny's or Golden Corral.
Yep Im really looking forward to learning to grow peanuts, hopefully good tomatoes corn and stuff, no worries me and my dad arnt going to be growing pot lol. Its also ok if Paris doesnt have dennys or golden corral. I might like those places, but perhaps I'll be better off without them anyways. But Im really looking forward to checking out Paris plus theres no starbucks within 50 miles thats a plus.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
What kinds of things do you like to do for fun. Fishing? Hunting? Bowling? Reading? It's all about you. No place is perfect for everybody. And are you talking about visiting for fun or moving? Two totally different things!
I like going to lakes for fun, fishing would be important to learn. I like going to shooting ranges. And I would be checking out these towns as possible places to move to. I should visit these places first.

Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,399,447 times
You may want to consider North Alabama as well. Plenty of water around Florence and Huntsville.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM

Ive made it out to Tennessee, staying in Clarksville, Clarksville is too big of a city for me. I'll sure keep Paris in mind I would still take Clarksville over Stockton California though. Also how would you rank Lafayette Tennessee? I might check out that town as well this week.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,339,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_leavin View Post
Ive made it out to Tennessee, staying in Clarksville, Clarksville is too big of a city for me. I'll sure keep Paris in mind I would still take Clarksville over Stockton California though. Also how would you rank Lafayette Tennessee? I might check out that town as well this week.
It depends on what you're looking for. Paris is a small town, but quite a bit bigger than Lafayette (more than twice as big).

The only thing with Paris is that it's pretty much far from everything, including the interstate.

Camden and Waverly are smaller, but at least close to the highway if you need to get anywhere. Paris would be perfectly fine if you plan on staying put.

You might also check out Dickson. It's about 35 miles west of Nashville (so closer to a job hub) but far enough away where it's not really a suburb and it retains it's small town feel.

If you're heading out tomorrow, I would head west from Clarksville on US 79 to Dover, and then on to Paris.

From Paris, you can head north to Murray (Kentucky). It's about 25 miles away...and yes, I know you're looking in Tennessee...but it might be good to check it out. It's a little bigger than Paris and is a small college town...so it has a little bit going on. It's also not far from Land Between the Lakes (LBL).

If not, just keep on 79 to McKenzie, then take TN 22 to Huntingdon and catch US 70 and go through Camden, Waverly, McEwen, and Dickson. From there, you can take TN 48 back north to Clarksville, passing through tiny Charlotte, a cute little county seat. Or you can keep heading east to Nashville, time depending.

You should be able to hit all of those and at least get a taste if you leave early (you might cancel on Murray KY, because that will add 50 miles or so).

If you need to cut off further time, just take US 641 from Paris to Camden.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:33 PM

made it out to paris tennessee, i love it there it gives me the out in the country feel, yet everything i need is just down the road. next im going to check out camden after that, thats all the time i have today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee