Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 08:58 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't have a dog so pardon my ignorance but what about those invisible things you can have to keep the dog on your property so you don't need a fence? Anyone know what I'm talking about? My boss had this for his dog but I don't recall how it worked. It set up some kind of invisible perimeter on his property.
An "invisible fence". I've known people who tried it. It works well for some dogs, not so well with others. It works by having a collar that give the doggie an electric shock if he goes over a wire planted in the ground. You're suppose to train the dog so he learns that early and then knows not to go past a certain line. Some dogs learns to run fast right past it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 09:02 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Also have to make sure the batteries in the collar work all the time. Neighbors had that for their dog and never checked batteries and the dog would run off.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:10 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,656,906 times
I went up to a rural part of our county to look @ a farmhouse for sale last night and saw that there were dogs everywhere! I had to slam on the brakes more than once to avoid hitting them. This was a VERY tiny "town" if you can even call it that, not grassy fields. I understand letting your dog run if you are away from everyone and traffic or if you know that your dog will stay put but this was ridiculous. The owners did not even call their pooches back into the yard after this happened. Totally irresponsible and negligent.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 AM

661 posts, read 2,897,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Also have to make sure the batteries in the collar work all the time. Neighbors had that for their dog and never checked batteries and the dog would run off.
One reason I never cared for invisible fence, particularly in a rural area, is that the system does nothing to prevent other dogs or animals from coming into your yard while your dog is out. The area we lived in had a large community of racoons, skunks, and fox, not to mention coyotes. A physical fence was a lot safer.

Many breeds have a high threshold of pain and no matter how much they dislike the shock, the thrill of escape is worth it to them. Coming back into the yard is another story, though.

So much of eastern TN is wooded, with all the furry citizens that live in that kind of territory. Just my opinion, but invisible fence is more suited to suburbs.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:59 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Out on Murfreesboro Road there's a problem with loose women . . .

Oh. Maybe it's not the same thing. Never mind.
And exactly how do you know this?

Phyll: It's going to take some getting use to your new surroundings. It's not Jersey! I am sorry about the doggie, though, but it does happen.

Old 10-19-2007, 12:29 PM

458 posts, read 1,272,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Out on Murfreesboro Road there's a problem with loose women . . .

Oh. Maybe it's not the same thing. Never mind.
Funny, alleycat! However, I'll thank you very much just to leave me out of it! LOL

Last edited by tsimmu; 10-19-2007 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: More info

Old 10-19-2007, 12:35 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,663,459 times
Some dogs just seem determined to get run over. I've got a friend who lives on a 110 acre farm out beyond Bean Station and he recently lost a dog to a car. The dog, a huge Turkish hunting dog, had a one acre area, fenced in with an electric fence. The farm is 1 mile from the nearest road. The dog, who should have been named Houdini, was always escaping and finally managed to be on the road at the wrong time.
A dog that usually stays home may decide to wander if it smells something interesting, like a female in heat.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:48 PM

31 posts, read 87,750 times
I plan to move to TN, around Bean Station and this is all good info as I have 5 dogs!!! Crazy I know but we rescue from bad environments or death row pups. I also have 6 cats! I live in a deed restricted area now and no fences are aloud, so I have the invisible one. It works great for all the dogs but the rhodesian/rottie, if he sees something he wants he’s goin!! But not comin back, just imagine dragging a 150 pound dog down the street and trying to get him back in the yard! LOL LOL So now he gets put on a 35ft cable for hangin out and we take him out to play and give him plenty of runin time, he will listen good…..Our dogs are spoiled rotten!!! When we take them out if they start a big rut-gus of barking and being unruly to neighbors they are brought right back in, which they like to do anyway in and out in and out in and out, little brats! We had a neighbor dog (big) come in are yard and start a fight with the rhodesian and he was on his chain, wasn’t pretty although he did win! We used to have just a chain link for the dogs before this house and the beagle was a digger for her the electric fence is the best!!! We have the yard sectioned off so when we are in different areas of the yard they can be with us, have it around the whole yard front to so in case they get out the front door. I would never forgive myself if one of my dogs got hurt due to my negligence. So I guess when we move there we will double fence some of our land and electric only on more for when we are out with them. I never leave them out when I’m not home…ever. I have picked up the same peoples dogs many times and I don’t want to give them back but also don’t want to bring them to the pound so what do you do? Save a life adopt a pet on death row!!!!

Old 10-19-2007, 01:51 PM

31 posts, read 87,750 times
Oh I forgot we have a beagle, rottie/? american bull, old (14) rottie, rhodesian/rottie

Old 10-19-2007, 02:28 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
One reason I never cared for invisible fence, particularly in a rural area, is that the system does nothing to prevent other dogs or animals from coming into your yard while your dog is out. The area we lived in had a large community of racoons, skunks, and fox, not to mention coyotes. A physical fence was a lot safer.

Many breeds have a high threshold of pain and no matter how much they dislike the shock, the thrill of escape is worth it to them. Coming back into the yard is another story, though.

So much of eastern TN is wooded, with all the furry citizens that live in that kind of territory. Just my opinion, but invisible fence is more suited to suburbs.
I do not like invisible fencing for this reason too. Neighbor's dog still gets sprayed by skunks because it doesn't deter them. After dark, I go out with my dog, regardless of weather. This is the only time the lab is leashed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee