Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 04:34 PM

196 posts, read 732,595 times

Advertisements

I recommend you check out Winchester. Lies ideal directional in a triangle between Huntsville, Nashville, and Nashville. All are about one hour away. The city is growing and has a wonerful historic district where the town square has been refurbished back to the original decor of the buildings. It has it share of industry and is positioned on Tims Ford Lake and at the foot Cumberland Mountain range. It is in Franklin County home of Sewanee and the university of the south. The people are friendly and is true southern hospitality. Please check it out!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 06:28 PM

16 posts, read 32,055 times
Winchester seems a little bit too far out, I did a search and it says that it was over 1 hour and 30 minutes away from Nashville. I will make sure to visit it though when I come, I may like it. Thanks for the help

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123 View Post
I recommend you check out Winchester. Lies ideal directional in a triangle between Huntsville, Nashville, and Nashville. All are about one hour away. The city is growing and has a wonerful historic district where the town square has been refurbished back to the original decor of the buildings. It has it share of industry and is positioned on Tims Ford Lake and at the foot Cumberland Mountain range. It is in Franklin County home of Sewanee and the university of the south. The people are friendly and is true southern hospitality. Please check it out!!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:37 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,839,192 times
Baxter is a nice town if you like small. It is about 10 minutes away from Cookeville, which has anything a person could want. Nashville is about an hour and a half, also.

Old 02-10-2013, 11:43 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
In between Knoxville and Nashville is the towns of crossville and cookeville. This is a really nice area of the state. They may be further from Nashville than you want however.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM

16 posts, read 32,055 times
Cookeville and Crossville both seem like nice places, I'm definitely going to be checking them out. I called a Realtor in the Nashville area and when I told her where I am coming from, she suggested that it would be a wise decision for me to move to someplace like Franklin, Cookeville, or Hendersonville because it will make it an easier transition for me being that I am young and will be alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
In between Knoxville and Nashville is the towns of crossville and cookeville. This is a really nice area of the state. They may be further from Nashville than you want however.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:32 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,306,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK001 View Post
Cookeville and Crossville both seem like nice places, I'm definitely going to be checking them out. I called a Realtor in the Nashville area and when I told her where I am coming from, she suggested that it would be a wise decision for me to move to someplace like Franklin, Cookeville, or Hendersonville because it will make it an easier transition for me being that I am young and will be alone.
I agree. I wouldn't suggest Crossville.

Old 02-13-2013, 02:01 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,339,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaK001 View Post
That's probably a wise suggestion. It would also allow you plenty of time to extensively explore the area for smaller towns that fit your need.

Just a quick comparison for you:

Franklin - larger suburb (~67,000 people), more upscale (though not entirely), lots of cookie cutter suburbia (some exceptions, like Westhaven, are pretty interesting for newer development), huge sprawling retail/office hub (Cool Springs) -- BUT -- a very cute and historic downtown with a number of independent shops, boutiques, and Victorian houses. Downtown Franklin would probably be ideal for what you have in mind in terms of starting a business -- if you can afford it. That's the downside. You can certainly get a home there for ~$300k...but your money won't go as far as it will in most other communities.

Hendersonville - also a large suburb (~55,000), middle class to upscale (it's on a lake, so there are some very nice lake homes). The town barely existed before starting to boom in the 60s and 70s, so there's not much of a historic factor, outside of a few individual houses (Rock Castle is about 230 years old). The retail development ranges from the vapid 20-30 year old strip malls along Hwy 31 to some newer, much more attractive development around Indian Lake. Apartments there are generally more affordable than those in Franklin.

Both towns are roughly the same distance from downtown Nashville. Commute time probably slightly favors Franklin, due to Hendersonville's main freeway conduit, Vietnam Veterans Pkwy, having a tendency to back up (and some highway construction on 65 closer to downtown -- but that can be bypassed using Ellington Pkwy).

Cookeville - college town (~30,000+) is a bit different. It's not a suburb in any way, but a small regional hub. It is home to Tennessee Technological University (~12,000 total students) as well as other regional facilities like a fairly large medical center. I would say it would provide you the best transition from a city to a small town atmosphere. It is an hour-hour and a half from 3 of Tennessee's cities (Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga), and the university provides an atmosphere that gives it a more open feel than a lot of cities its size (transitional residents in the form of students and college professors -- more "out of towners"...but not as high as the transplant populations of Franklin or Hendersonville). It has a nice little downtown...not as nice as Franklin's, but of good size (something it has over Hendersonville).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee