Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 04:52 PM

75 posts, read 130,439 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering what – be it folk law(tale) - does Tennessee have?

This spring my wife and myself are coming down to Tenn so, we are just wondering something we should know, or at least jest about when there.

We all know about the Loch Ness monster in Scotland and Sasquatch all over the northern forests, here in New Jersey we have the 'Guido'. ( For my good Italian friends, I am using Guido with the upper most respect, just making convo ie. -Def of Guido - guido A sad pathetic excuse for a male; not necessarily of Italian descent, but most likely; usually native to the New York/New Jersey Tri-State area) Something to be aware of and not necessary what is the norm.
Scratch that ( Guido ) we do have them walking around, be it like a Zombie – Jersey Shore.

Any wonder of the woods we need to be aware of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 05:06 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
Tennessee folk lore includes the story of the Bell Witch in Adams:

Bell Witch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-14-2013, 05:20 PM

Thank you Reactionary for the reply, I read the link and found out something. Isn't it great to learn something everyday, so the The Blair Witch Project is based on it.
by the way, I was wrong it is lore not law. Which there was a way to change the title, but hey, I might not be perfect, thus like my wife always says, I am always wrong.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:03 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
There are some interesting creatures in Cocke County.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:42 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Jim View Post
Thank you Reactionary for the reply, I read the link and found out something. Isn't it great to learn something everyday, so the The Blair Witch Project is based on it.
by the way, I was wrong it is lore not law. Which there was a way to change the title, but hey, I might not be perfect, thus like my wife always says, I am always wrong.
Wow, that Wikipedia article really blows off the Bell Witch.

Anyone who read Gladys Barr's 1969 book The Bell Witch at Adams would have no doubt believing in the authenticity of the stories. "Paranormal experts ..."

OP, I can't tell if you're really wanting to know about something you might encounter or if you want to bait us into stories about the TN equivalent to guidos. The true Nashville native is a rare creature.

Just be sure to drive around Cocke County, though.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:59 PM

"OP, I can't tell if you're really wanting to know about something you might encounter or if you want to bait us into stories about the TN equivalent to guidos. The true Nashville native is a rare creature.

Just be sure to drive around Cocke County, though. "

A little bit of both. Ok I'll try and find some time to do just that "Just be sure to drive around Cocke County"
But during the daylight

Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Jim View Post
"OP, I can't tell if you're really wanting to know about something you might encounter or if you want to bait us into stories about the TN equivalent to guidos. The true Nashville native is a rare creature.

Just be sure to drive around Cocke County, though. "

A little bit of both. Ok I'll try and find some time to do just that "Just be sure to drive around Cocke County"
But during the daylight
Sorry, I meant "avoid it."

Old 02-14-2013, 09:37 PM

WOW I just put Cocke County into the search and found this thread:

Any reasons NOT to live in E. Tenn?

Oh my. Seems the olde saying, the grass might not be so green on the other side.
I am reading and in 2006, I hope later in the thread things get better

LauraC on page 4 does a great job in explaining, if you want to move someplace, read and inquire.
It is a great post.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:10 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
The old folks what lived in East Tennessee had lots of haint stories, lots of them lost. You can still see some houses here and there with their sills painted haint blue to ward off spirits.

Charles Edwin Rice is a great documenter of stories especially in Haints, Witches and Boogers. He also wrote the Infamous Bell Witch of TN book.
Haints, Witches, and Boogers: Tales from Upper East Tennessee: Charles Edwin Price, Richard Blaustein: 9780895870933: Amazon.com: Books
Infamous Bell Witch of Tennessee: Charles Edwin Price: 9781570720086: Amazon.com: Books

As far as other kinds of folk tales, many of them people there (my grandparents included) still plant "by the signs," that you find on the old calendars from feed stores, furniture stores, funeral homes, etc.

My grandfather knows some Jack tales, he told me he learned them from his grandmother who was born in the 1870s.
The Folklore Tradition of Jack Tales

Old 02-15-2013, 04:04 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times
Big Foot is here..

Reports for Tennessee all counties have a hot link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee