Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:42 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,526,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
Thanks for the link, Tinman.

BTW, what is "elohinodohiygesesti"? and could you spell it a second time without looking?
For some odd reason it's not working in any search engine any way it's Cherokee for " Peace on Earth"......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 12:07 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Smile That is a great byline for you, Tinman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
For some odd reason it's not working in any search engine any way it's Cherokee for " Peace on Earth"......
That is really beautiful, Tinman, and so appropriate!

I might even be able to pronounce it now, but I wouldn't want to be critiqued!

Do you have a Cherokee ancestor? I am sure no one else will end up with the same moniker!

Old 11-13-2007, 12:15 PM

Lightbulb Cherokee nation.

Tinman, I found this website with a Cherokee dictionary. Thought you might want to look at it.

English/Cherokee Dictionary

Old 11-13-2007, 12:52 PM

Smile Cherokee

Quote:
That is really beautiful, Tinman, and so appropriate!

I might even be able to pronounce it now, but I wouldn't want to be critiqued!

Do you have a Cherokee ancestor? I am sure no one else will end up with the same moniker!
I'm a "Blood Brother" too a Cherokee, Spending summers in Bean Station, TN as a child back in the 50's-60's a very close friend was Cherokee, and I was asked by a elder( his father) if I wanted too be a blood brother too his son. At 14 that was a honor!!! we did the ceremony in true Cherokee tradition..........

Old 11-13-2007, 09:36 PM

Smile That is a wonderful honor, Tinman.

That would be an honor at any age Tinman. I'm sure that your friend's father took the ceremony and all that it represented very seriously. He must have thought very highly of you and the friendship you had with his son.

Do you ever hear from your blood brother? Our lives so often go off on different paths that we lose touch with childhood friends. Thank goodness for good memories.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:00 PM

Thumbs up different paths

Quote:
That would be an honor at any age Tinman. I'm sure that your friend's father took the ceremony and all that it represented very seriously. He must have thought very highly of you and the friendship you had with his son.

Do you ever hear from your blood brother? Our lives so often go off on different paths that we lose touch with childhood friends. Thank goodness for good memories.
Yes we do tend too stray.......The last time I saw my blood brother was the summer of 1965....I know his first name, but have forgotten his last given Christian name, But I also remember his Cherokee name......"Ulinawi" ....."Little Turtle"......Tried too find the phrase for "Little Turtle" and only found "Turtle.....found memories..........

Old 11-14-2007, 07:20 PM

Wink May you and Little Turtle find each other.

I hope that Ulinawi finds you, Tinman. That would be a special reunion.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:16 PM

Thumbs up Yeah!

Quote:
I hope that Ulinawi finds you, Tinman. That would be a special reunion.
Yeah!,,,,,,,,,,

One of many Cherokee stories....... Cherokee Legend

Old 11-14-2007, 09:09 PM

Smile Thanks

Quote:
Tinman, I found this website with a Cherokee dictionary. Thought you might want to look at it.

English/Cherokee Dictionary
I got that one....... Thanks

Old 11-14-2007, 09:33 PM

Default What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
Yeah!,,,,,,,,,,

One of many Cherokee stories....... Cherokee Legend
Thanks for sharing that. One of the things that Native Americans should be most proud of is their great respect and love of nature. Too bad it isn't shared by all of us immigrants!

The Cherokee Lengend has the same gentle force of Beatrice Potter. I love it and will read it to my grandchildren.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee