Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2006, 09:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,918 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am really interested in obtaining some honest feedback with respect to diversity in Williamson, Rutherford and Wilson Counties. My husband and I are both African American professionals with no children as yet. We are looking for a quiet, culturally sensitive area with great homes and great schools. I've been doing alot of research via the internet and have also read many of the comments posted here. I am looking at Franklin, Spring Hill, Primm Springs and Smyrna most specifically.

I'd appreciate any honest (brutally so if necessary) feedback.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 04:27 PM

359 posts, read 1,637,672 times
I'm not familiar with those areas, but hopefully someone on here will have some answers for you. If not, come on over to the Tri-Cities area.

Old 10-13-2006, 04:57 PM

63 posts, read 402,788 times
I live in Antioch and its got to be the most diverse suburb of nashville... there are alot of hispanics, asians, and african americans here..actually my new neighbors moved here from Chicago too... I believe the man said he and his wife were originally from Ethiopia? Anyway...try Moderator cut: link for neighborhoods around Antioch. Moderator cut: link for new homes all over the greater nashville area.

also.... Franklin, Brentwood, and Spring Hill are much nicer areas with better schools and nicer people, but homes over there also come with a bigger price tag.

Old 10-13-2006, 07:31 PM

225 posts, read 1,144,772 times
Hi jpk1,

Have you considered Murfreesboro? You mentioned Smyrna but Murfreesboro is much larger and is also a college town. I think we are a great hometown with lots of culture and diversity. Being home to MTSU gives this town a more progressive attitude than some of the other small towns.

I actually think most of Middle TN is diverse but the smaller towns are not as progressive as the cities. I had some clients that relocated here last year from Chicago. They have been very pleased with the schools (elementary through high school children) and also the people and employment opportunities. They also LOVE our weather compared to Chicago! They have become Tennesseans very quickly and don't regret moving at all!

Old 10-14-2006, 09:28 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,642,651 times
Default Franklin's friendly:)

Hey Chicago-

I would suggest coming and taking a look around. The internet's an amazing tool, but when it comes right down to it there's nothing like seeing it for yourself. We looked in Hendersonville all the way down to Spring Hill before buying in Franklin. Just felt right.

As for diversity-friendly, I could make a case for either "side". On one hand this IS Middle TN, with all that implies, if you know what I mean. The stronger case, thank goodness, though, is that we've come a long way. While it's a hard thing to measure, I'll offer the following-

Poplar Grove School, once criticized for being too vanilla (rightfully so) is now much better balanced. Until last year their PTO president was an African-American woman who was extremely well-respected.

My kids have never been in an all-white class, private or public. This may not sound like much, but you may be as shocked as I was when several Mormon women openly expressed some blatantly racist comments about which public schools in Franklin had the lowest non-white enrollment. (I don't blame the LDS church as a whole, but include this only because all 3 women spouting this garbage were devout members. Don't email me! LOL!)

I'm not aware of any neighborhoods of a specific color or race. I take that as a good sign.

My accountant, attorney and countless colleagues and friends are African-American Frankliners.

Does that help at all? It always feels so awkward writing something like this. You risk portraying the opposite of what you're trying to say!

Oh well, for what it's worth.....hope you find the perfect community for your family. If it's Franklin, email me.

-akm

Old 10-15-2006, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,918 times
Thanks so much for all of your feedback it was helpful and encouraging!

AKM4 special thanks to you for being so candid!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee