Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 05:56 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,124 times

Advertisements

I have lived in south Florida for 34 years. I moved from the midwest to Miami area for a job. I have lived in Homestead since 1978. I lost nearly everything in Hurricane Andrew. For the next few years after that, every hurricane season brought a feeling of panic and dread. Although we have been through several storms of lessor strength since Andrew, I still feel very uneasy. I live in a strong, well-built home (1430 sq ft) , am paying 4350.00 for homeowners insurance (nearly doubled from last year....and in 1994 it was 600.00). Now it is nearly June (beginning of hurricane season), the dread is sinking in, and what will my insurance bill for next year be???? My salary goes up about 2% a year WOW! I leave my house at 5:00 in the morning to avoid heavy traffic in the morning and afternoon rush hours. I would love to find a slow paced, friendly ( I still have my midwest friendliness) and safe community. My house has been broken into twice and several attemps. Never when I am at home, but I dread receiving a call at work, from the alarm company, telling me that my house alarm has been triggered). I have visited TN several times, years ago, on family vacations and found it to be a beautiful, friendly place. My profession is in horticulture. Any hints on where to look at in TN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 06:26 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
McMinnville bills itself as the nursery capital of the world. There is also several nurseries in Smithville.

Of course, there are garden centers everywhere. I might look at Home Depot if I was in that profession.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:45 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,612 times
Smile Rt # 27 or #127 corridor

P.L. : Sorry to read the latest situation. Join the party ,north of Chattanooga on the East side of the state may be for you. Recently we were re-listed as beind in ZONE #8 with the warmer global stuff. Nicer plants now re-growing over the winter.
Prior posts had good info as warehouse nursery, also some of the college and Gov, are pushing car fuel agriculture,(Switchgrass,etc). Each town has a mega-landscape business and housing is growing here, you should do well with peace of mind.
Just got my 2nd year home-owner ins and also a increase. $5. Up to $340 from 1st year of $335/yr Travelers. Housing $100 / S.F.
My wife would give you a big kiss, with her seven rock gardens ,if you came to town. Dayton was Strawberry capitol at one time, next to the RR, and last weekend was the 60th festival. You will enjoy here brother.[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2007, 06:55 PM

Thanks for the replies so far. BTW, I am a woman.

Old 09-02-2007, 03:46 PM

Just bumping this up for any more comments.

Old 09-02-2007, 04:06 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,663,459 times
There are a lot of big private nurseries around. McMinnville does have a lot. We've got Stanley's here in Knoxville which grows most of its own stock. Pope's is another big local nursery. It seems to be a lot of business in the area.
University of Tennessee has the gardens which serve as test gardens for All-American selections and the state of Tennessee has a lot of programs to help farmers convert from tobacco to other crops.
Your best resource would be the UT Gardens for solid information. I'd suggest e-mailing Dr. Sue.
University of Tennessee Trial Gardens

Old 09-02-2007, 05:21 PM

375 posts, read 1,097,371 times
Whether or not there are decent horticulture jobs depends on what kind of experience you have. In my area (McMinnville adjacent ) if you have enough experience to be mostly management or enough education to work at one of the UT or USDA research farms you'll be OK. The state also hires people with considerable horticulture experience or a related college degree in their plant inspection program. However, if we're talking working level greenhouse or nursery jobs in maintenance or propagation it's a different story. Wages generally suck, most of the jobs are seasonal, and you'll be competing with a large number of mexicans of questionable immigration status.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:15 PM

I have a degree in horticulture from Purdue University and 34 years of experience.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:23 PM

I have a BS. degree in Agriculture with a major in horticulture, to be exact.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:35 PM

375 posts, read 1,097,371 times
You shouldn't have a problem finding work. In addition to positions at the larger nurseries there are a number of government opportunities. Urban forestry programs are expanding into mid-sized towns and are generally degreed positions. The USDA has a research center in McMinnville and UT maintains a number of research areas throughout the state including an experimental farm in Cumberland county. Your best bet would probably be to contact someone at UTK (University of Tennessee at Knoxville) who works with the agricultural extension program. They would have a good feel for what is available statewide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee