Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times

Advertisements

I hate to hijack this thread, but the topic is reality, so what the heck.

I want everyone to know that the prayers and help offered by DM and in this thread, and for the folks that didn't post but offered a silent prayer, well, it worked.

Fred just called, and he has a job.

Here's what happened.

He got his pay today, and he had a $200 cut in pay. So did the office manager.

Being the new Tennessee man that he is, the now family man, he called me right away.

I told him to walk out, immediately. Of course, we are down to one car, so he had to wait for me to pick him up!

In the meantime, I called the owner and gave him a piece of my mind. The little I had left.

The problem is the owner has a bunch of mechanics there that keep getting come-backs and he's bleeding money. Rather than fire these guys, he figures he'll cut the guys with the big salaries.

So Fred walked in the door at the one shop that is advertising for help right now. They knew exactly who he was. End of story. And he got what he wanted. It's $90 less, but it's not $200 less. Good enough.

It may seem crazy what I did, and I suppose it is, but I learned last summer to never let anyone push you around, and so far it's working.

And by the way, the old me, would have retired to bed and refused to get out of it. I've finally learned, after 46 years, to just keep on plugging and make it work. I refuse to let me or my little family get kicked around anymore.

So the lesson here is yes, it is hard to get a job here, at first. But let people get to know you. Establish your reputation. Folks are cautious, but friendly. Someone will eventually give you a chance.

And this forum?

Y'all need to see for yourselves what the state is like. But do listen to the opinions; the good, the bad, the indifferent. I truly believe that no one means any harm.

As for the people that post here, they are the greatest people I have never met. They just might be better than the people I have met.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 04:26 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

I want everyone to know that the prayers and help offered by DM and in this thread, and for the folks that didn't post but offered a silent prayer, well, it worked.

Here's what happened.

Being the new Tennessee man that he is, the now family man, he called me right away.

I told him to walk out, immediately. Of course, we are down to one car, so he had to wait for me to pick him up!

In the meantime, I called the owner and gave him a piece of my mind. The little I had left.

The problem is the owner has a bunch of mechanics there that keep getting come-backs and he's bleeding money. Rather than fire these guys, he figures he'll cut the guys with the big salaries.

So Fred walked in the door at the one shop that is advertising for help right now. They knew exactly who he was. End of story. And he got what he wanted. It's $90 less, but it's not $200 less. Good enough.

It may seem crazy what I did, and I suppose it is, but I learned last summer to never let anyone push you around, and so far it's working.

And by the way, the old me, would have retired to bed and refused to get out of it. I've finally learned, after 46 years, to just keep on plugging and make it work. I refuse to let me or my little family get kicked around anymore.

So the lesson here is yes, it is hard to get a job here, at first. But let people get to know you. Establish your reputation. Folks are cautious, but friendly. Someone will eventually give you a chance.

And this forum?

Y'all need to see for yourselves what the state is like. But do listen to the opinions; the good, the bad, the indifferent. I truly believe that no one means any harm.

As for the people that post here, they are the greatest people I have never met. They just might be better than the people I have met.
My gosh you have had one heck of a day, haven't you? But I'm so glad that everything has worked out for you and your husband (and your little girl). Keep hanging in there!

Old 12-07-2007, 04:29 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Good for you! Breathing, one step at a time and a strong resolve gets one through just about anything, you are proof of that. Applaud applaud applaud for you and Fred, congrats.

Old 12-07-2007, 05:54 PM

665 posts, read 1,926,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post

Here's what happened.

And this forum?

Great news !I am happy for you and your family!I wish you all the best!!!!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:41 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times
Smile You are our symbol of "stand up and be counted", Hik!

Hik, I just knew it! You cannot keep a good man - or woman - down.

You were right to stick up for your principles and Fred was right in his very principled protest. I just knew that he would find something right away.

I am so proud of you and Fred, and reeealllly like the "new" you! You inspire us all to keep the faith and just get on with it. Thanks, hiknapster. You've been a great help to me!

Give the little one a group hug from all of us. Hope she feels better when she wakes up tomorrow!

Now, for the car...

Old 12-07-2007, 07:26 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Hik,
This is great news. I truly believe that God never gives us more than we can handle, although at times it may seem like he does.
We just pull ourselves up and keep on going. Tell Fred congrats on the new job!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:25 PM

Thanks to all of you!

The little one starting eating at right about the time that her dad got a job. The two were unrelated, but it was nice, all the same.

Gosh you are all a bunch of nice people.

It's nice, when you are down, to see such supportive posts. It has meant the world to me.

May I do them same for all of you.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:30 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,645 times
I'm happy for you and your family. Congratulations and Best Wishes!

Old 12-08-2007, 07:46 AM

Thanks everyone!

Reading the Tennessee Wage Laws, apparently they can't reduce your pay without telling you ahead of time, and if you work in a mechanical environment, as well as many other exceptions, an agreed amount of pay between employer and employee can be used as a basis in civil litigation.

Anyone know about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee