Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:31 AM

275 posts, read 1,124,846 times

Advertisements

I know that in cookeville the tax rate is 9.75% on everything,
does this also include new cars?
Down here in MS it is 3%
was thinking on getting a new car before we move up there if rates are that high.
also how bad are car tags in TN?

Thanks
Henry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 04:02 AM

79 posts, read 254,768 times
When I lived in Gulfport in 03 car tags were outrageous, here in Kingsport cost me under $40...

Old 03-09-2007, 04:23 AM

359 posts, read 1,635,538 times
I renewed my car tag in December and it was $24. Each county is different though. It depends on whether or not they have an added wheel tax.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:35 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
State Single Article Rates - 2.75% on any single item sold in excess of $1,600 but not more than $3,200.

You can find this info and more about single items here:
http://tennessee.gov/revenue/tntaxes/salesanduse.htm (broken link)
and here:
http://tennessee.gov/revenue/forms/sales/singlearticle.pdf (broken link)

Old 03-09-2007, 05:38 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncguy2000 View Post
Down here in MS it is 3%
was thinking on getting a new car before we move up there if rates are that high.

Thanks
Henry
The sales tax on single items like that is actually more complicated. However, it's close enough for all practical purposes to say, yes, you will pay sales tax of about 9.5%

Annual car tag renewal do vary by county. Generally the counties with less retail revenues will be higher. Here in Nashville I pay a total of $70. That's more or less typical.

EDITED TO ADD: While I was typing that, mbmouse posted his information. Great minds think alike, eh? ;-)

Old 03-09-2007, 05:43 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
State Single Article Rates - 2.75% on any single item sold in excess of $1,600 but not more than $3,200.
You also need to add the flat 7% state tax on the total sales price, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:06 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Default Motor Vehicle Homework

C; Good subject, that we had also about a month ago,but each county slightly different rules and $$, so will try and help. Chattanooga just lost out the new Toyota plant to Miss and newspaper reported wrote MISS has annual value tax on your new cars, if why many people drive 12 and 15 year old cars. Choose the state with lowest sales tax. No state impact here, like someone mentioned for N.C.. Years ago Fla had $250 for each vehicle out of state.
PAPERWORK is some Homework to get correct 1st try. Bring birth cert, also utility service bill address, like Electric statement , water bill, etc,
Hamilton co(Chattanooga) is about one of Eight that one needs to get EMMISSIONS testing done at STATE Center for $10 CASH , BEFORE going for your License plates. Rate only $ 34 with new plate, but NO WHEEL TAX here.
Other counties higher $$ as they add a Wheel TAX. Not sure of all those co names.
Very few offces in the STATE, long lines North Chat, some times 5 HOUR Wait, Gov promised to add new office, as a few other counties. Newspaper article last week quotes state will now have 50 offices to serve about 97 COUNTIES, that means every other county has to search or travel to find new tag office. !early renewals -no problem, by mail or web.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:40 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncguy2000 View Post
Down here in MS it is 3%

Thanks
Henry
If you buy a new car in Mississippi (or anywhere) and move to Tennessee within 90 days, you still owe the Tennessee sales tax when you register your car in Tennessee. For any vehicle less than $1600, the tax rate is 9.75% in Putnam County. For those over $1600, the rate is 7% of the total plus $44.00 for Putnam County.

Otherwise, if you've owned the car for more than 90 days, you pay a flat $35.50 in Putnam County to register your car the first time, then a flat fee of $24 per year afterwards. That's it. Just $24 a year.

As I recall from my years in Mississippi, Mississippi's annual tag fees are outrageous, in the hundreds of dollars. As SPLIT said, it's no wonder so many people in Mississippi drive cars that are 12+ years old.

Old 03-09-2007, 07:51 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,873,725 times
Default Lien-Holder ADDRESS letter also needed.

C: Also remembered last paperwork also needed on possible new car for others(Not you).!! Must have the bank or Credit Union ADDRESS of the parent company lien holder to have TENN type on the title. Some LETTER or INSURANCE letter even if the parent co address is in TEXAS ,for example.
Good Info, JMT. Everyone should now have enough info to Expect a smooth One Time Visit to motor vehicle.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:52 PM

243 posts, read 887,116 times
Red face Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
You also need to add the flat 7% state tax on the total sales price, if I'm not mistaken.
Wait! I thought there was no STATE TAX!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee