Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 11:03 AM

170 posts, read 566,435 times

Advertisements

O.k., so I pretty much had my mind set that yes, we were moving, but then I watched the Weather Chan. yesterday, and saw the bad weather, (tornado WARNINGS ) and frankly, it scared me! I know I must sound silly to a lot of you, but we have no weather to speak of, other than just plain old rain here in Seattle. I was so excited to move, and then I had to turn on the TV! (I was so obsessed, I had it on all day.) Do you all get nervous about things like that, and should that really be a concern in my decision to move? That was one reason I chose E. Tenn, because I had heard the closer to the mountains, the better, tornado wise. Thanks for any help, I truly do want to be in Tenn., I just don't want to be so scared that the Weather Chan. takes over my life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2006, 03:42 PM

661 posts, read 2,897,034 times
Hi Mom,

Don't let it get to you. Severe weather can hit a lot of places. That shouldn't rule them out as great places to live. During the time we lived in GA, I saw weather during afternoon thunderstorms that got pretty scary, and tornado warnings for our county weren't unusual, but nothing happened. We moved to PA, which I figured would have less severe weather due to lower humidity and saw more funnel clouds there than GA. Tornadoes have hit in the Berkshire Mts. in MA. Nowhere is totally safe.
Tell you what. We're moving to Clinton from CT next month. If you get the weather willies, come and hang out with us!

Old 04-25-2006, 11:40 PM

77 posts, read 305,773 times
I live in Fla. Last 2 years we got Hammered repeatedly by Hurricanes (yes our home). Just seems to me that the weather (in general) has been getting a bit more intense as related to storms, & etc.
I do watch national news to know what is going on. I hope that my thoughts are wrong. As I have plans also..

But I do agree, can't let the worry of weather rule one's life!!
That's no way to live !! But having a plan is not foolish either !!
Better to be prepared, & have nothing happen. Than not be & .....

sleeper

Old 04-26-2006, 09:08 AM

Thank you so much jmarkey and sleeper, it does make sense what you both say. And your'e right, you can't let weather rule one's life. Just think smart, and be safe. Now if I could only figure out exactly where to live, I'd be good!

Old 04-28-2006, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,028 times
I lived in E. Tennessee (Johnson City/Elizabethton) for 25 years and my family is still there. Never had any tornados. These towns are in a valley and thus more protected from them. Now if one got in the valley then that would be a mess, but that has never happened. At least that is what I have heard and experianced. My family members have been living there for 5 generations, The worst weather I have seen there is a thunderstorm, but no where near as bad as Florida when we lived in Orlando. Now if you are looking more toward Knoxville then you may see some tornados as it is not in the "valley". Hope this helps.

Old 04-29-2006, 07:27 AM

4 posts, read 23,437 times
I have lived in E. Tn. for the last 25 yrs (Johnson City) the storms you are referring to were in west and towards the middle of the state. Although we did have a tornado touch down about 5 miles from here last week. That is a rare occurence. Growing up in Texas and Central Fla. I know storms and truly the weather is mild here compared to most places. Hope you have a great move to the area!

Old 04-30-2006, 09:52 PM

4 posts, read 6,722 times
Hi momoftwoboys, I am a mom of two girls

I, like you, was obsessed with the tornadoes in TN.
Our family was and is still ready to move to TN, preferably the Murfreesboro area. We live in South Florida and are tired of this way of life (and the HURRICANES!!). I personally have never in a tornadic situation, but have experienced 3, yes 3, direct hits from Hurricanes Frances, Jean and Wilma in 2004 and 2005. Our house is only 6 years old and held up very well, but it's time to go away from the ocean. From what I understand, that kind of weather is very unusual for TN, especially the Nashville area.

Follow your heart...We are taking a trip to TN the second week in May.

I am so glad I stumbled onto this site. This is the kind of info I have been looking for!

Old 04-30-2006, 10:52 PM

ddlove- thanks for the advice, isn't this site amazing? I love all the info you get here. I'm sorry about the hurricanes you had to endure, I can't imagine. We actually drove cross country to TN, I had done much research, and was interested in Murfreesboro (yes, loooong drive!) and then Maryville (East TN). I had heard such wonderful things about both. We drove around with a realtor for the afternoon in Murfreesboro. She was wonderful, and the area was really nice. Unfortunately, that night we experienced the wrath of tornados (24 people died, then 12 the next Fri.). So I said I was done with middle TN, and figured the closer to the mountains, the better. But you're right, I've heard many times, it's VERY unusual for that area. So I think we are going with Sevierville area -my kids love Dollywood, and the Smoky Mnts are beautiful! Any other questions regarding Murfreesboro, let me know, I'll see what I can do.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:58 AM

19 posts, read 88,255 times
Here is a list of states ranked according to tornado activity, damage, etc. I lived in E. Tennessee growing up but now live in Indiana (# 1 on list ). I think the mountains in E Tennesee protect you to a certain extent. My brothers still live in E Tennessee (Cumberland Gap) and a tornado in that area is rare.

http://www.disastercenter.com/tornado/rank.htm

Old 05-01-2006, 08:36 PM

2 posts, read 6,080 times
Hey guys, So glad I found this site as well. My wife and Kids are planning to move to TN as well from Clearwater, FL. I have lived here all my life (34) years. It has gotten so expensive from the hurricanes and housing prices. I really am excited about NE TN Johnson CIty, Mountain City Elizabethtown? I am just now beginning process. Looking for business opportunites, land land land for horses of course and views of mountains. The more I look, the questions I'll have..like how far is Greeneville, TN from that area. What is most desireable area up there. Do you have good affordable private schools/? Thanks for any help. Matt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee