Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2016, 05:24 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times

Advertisements

The web site cheapflights.com has listed the average air fares for the 101 most-searched airports in the U.S. Both Nashville and Memphis moved up dramatically from 2015 and are, by far, the cheapest airports in Tennessee. The only other airport to make the list, Knoxville, dropped 6 spots since 2015 and is now the 2nd most expensive airport in the country, at least of the country's 101 most-searched airports.

Here's how they rank

airport...avg. airfare...2016 rank...2015 rank
Nashville (BNA)...$273...24...79
Memphis (MEM)...$287...28...46
Knoxville (TYS)...$543...100...94

The full report:

2016 Airport Affordability Report | Cheapflights

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 09:54 PM

284 posts, read 362,229 times
Anyone know why Knoxville's airport is so expensive?

Old 07-22-2016, 10:44 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
Anyone know why Knoxville's airport is so expensive?
A lot of airports with fewer destinations and little competition tend to tilt to the expensive side.

For example, Nashville (BNA) has 13 carriers and ~54 destinations and a passenger volume of over 12.2 million, while Knoxville (TYS) has 5 carriers and ~21 destinations and a passenger volume of about 1.7 million. It's not always true, but competition tends to lead to lower fares.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:31 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,950,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
A lot of airports with fewer destinations and little competition tend to tilt to the expensive side.

For example, Nashville (BNA) has 13 carriers and ~54 destinations and a passenger volume of over 12.2 million, while Knoxville (TYS) has 5 carriers and ~21 destinations and a passenger volume of about 1.7 million. It's not always true, but competition tends to lead to lower fares.
In the case of TYS, it is interesting that, even though Knoxville's largest carrier is el-cheapo Allegiant, TYS still has ridiculously high air fares. Plus, of the 21 non-stop destinations from TYS, some are to secondary (read: out-of-the-way) airports which should also be cheaper: Sanford instead of Orlando, Saint Petersburg-Clearwater instead of Tampa, Punta Gorda instead of Fort Myers. One of the reasons I eventually left Knoxville was because I got tired of paying through the nose to fly on reputable airlines. It's not uncommon for families in the Knoxville area to drive all the way to Nashville or even Atlanta; at a couple hundred dollars in savings per person, it's worth the drive.

In the case of Memphis, the demise of Delta's hub there has been a very mixed blessing. While MEM has gone from 12 million to fewer than 4 million passengers, lost 64 nonstop destinations, and went from over 300 flights a day to fewer than 90, some of the lost destinations have been brought back with low-cost carriers such as Allegiant, Frontier, and Southwest. A big difference, though, is that while Delta may have had three flights a day between Memphis and, say, Austin or Denver, the low budget airlines have just one, or not even a daily flight, and on smaller aircraft. But it has helped bring down the price of air fares at MEM quite dramatically.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-24-2016, 07:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,390,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post

It also has a bit of a captive clientele. You can fly out of Nashville, but it is a 3 1/2 hour drive and 4 to Atlanta. Makes it hard to fly from either without at least an over night hotel at least once, plus fuel, etc. I fly from Nashville and I live near Knoxville.

Old 07-29-2016, 01:59 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,302 times
I love the Memphis airport. We don't have the crowds and lines that you find in bigger airports
And it's super easy to get to from 240. Between Delta dehubbing us and oil prices dropping, the cost of flying has really dropped. And we still have direct flights to most major domestic destinations. Wish we'd get San Francisco, Boston, and Seattle though.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:31 AM

914 posts, read 1,983,238 times
I think de-hubbing may have been the best thing for Memphis in the long run. Short term it hurt big time, but long term will probably be better. Cheaper airfare to major destinations is likely more valuable than being able to fly to regional destinations nonstop (Lexington, Huntsville, Birmingham, Baton Rouge, etc).

Old 08-02-2016, 08:44 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,328,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
I think de-hubbing may have been the best thing for Memphis in the long run. Short term it hurt big time, but long term will probably be better. Cheaper airfare to major destinations is likely more valuable than being able to fly to regional destinations nonstop (Lexington, Huntsville, Birmingham, Baton Rouge, etc).
With the way MEM is adding airlines and passengers, I tend to agree. And some of those regional destinations might be added back over time (if there is enough demand).

Old 08-06-2016, 08:26 PM

377 posts, read 470,022 times
I asked why TYS is so expensive. Don't know if this is accurate, but someone told me that because DENSO is a big "customer" of the airport and pays whatever is posted, the airport prices are set higher than normal.

The other problem with TYS is that a large portion of flights get delayed or canceled. Flying out of of TYS to a connector is a big risk of not arriving on time, so...

We drive whenever we can and if we have to go far, we drive to BNA or ATL and get direct flights at half the price.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:35 PM

7,540 posts, read 17,228,595 times
Knoxville also lacks the customer base. My folks live in Greeneville and when I come to visit, it's so much cheaper to fly into Atlanta and ride the Mega Bus to Knoxville, that I can't justify the price of a ticket to TYS. It's kind of a chicken and egg situation. They don't have the ridership to bring prices down like larger airports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee