Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:57 AM

219 posts, read 811,257 times

Advertisements

Hello again everyone.

I hear there are some very polluted lakes in TN linked to cancer and such with class action lawsuits that have been going on for years. That is quite a scary thought to me since I do drink tons of water and I love water sports as do my children. Can anyone fill me in more on this situation. Be honest please and tell me which areas I should stay away from and which areas are safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 11:14 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbain View Post
Hello again everyone.

I hear there are some very polluted lakes in TN linked to cancer and such with class action lawsuits that have been going on for years. That is quite a scary thought to me since I do drink tons of water and I love water sports as do my children. Can anyone fill me in more on this situation. Be honest please and tell me which areas I should stay away from and which areas are safe.
What lakes did you hear about? I honestly haven't heard that, although of course I could be wrong.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Nor have I. Our lab does some sub-contracting of water quality for TVA, Corps of Engineers and FWA and I havent heard anything.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:27 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
The only thing I've heard like that is the lawsuits against DuPont for their New Johnsonville plant on Kentucky Lake, but I thought that was primarily due to air polution rather than polution of the lake itself.

I'm with JMT on this. I really haven't heard much on this subject (which is not to say there hasn't been lawsuits, just that I don't recall anything in the news media about them).

Do you have a link concerning the lawsuits you mentioned, John?

Old 02-21-2008, 11:45 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,860 times
If you go to the Tennessee Wildlife Agency web site. You can find the sites that they have where they don't recommend eating over a certain amount of fish out of a area for a certain amount of time. Because of the toxic number of chemicals in them. Also there should be a site on the Department of Environmental Quality's web site for the same thing. But remember. I think every state has water flow areas that have contaminants of some kind that is considered toxic. Usually for kids and pregnant women. To some point.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:56 AM

Holston river Tennessee, and Eastman Plant in Kingsport

Old 02-21-2008, 12:02 PM

375 posts, read 1,097,521 times
There are problems with lake pollution in many areas of Tennessee. However, in most cases it won't affect you unless you eat bottom feeding fish species caught from the lakes. In that case your major exposure would be to mercury and PCBs. The TWRA maintains a list of affected lakes and streams and which species are prohibited.

There are also a number of "lakes" scattered through the state which are large man-made ponds originally constructed for industrial purposes or to control mine drainage. Dozens of flooded strip mines also fall into this category. These may be highly contaminated but I doubt anyone is marketing the land surrounding them as residential property. I've had a few "what were you thinking" talks with developers before though, so I'm not going to say it hasn't happened somewhere.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:10 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,218,216 times
Quote:
That may be why I haven't heard anything much about it here. I live in Nashville.

There has been a big issue here about ground water being contaminated in Dickson County due to a landfill. Apparently the contamination was known by officials but they kept it secret.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:26 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Ah ok, that does make sense. I'm sure Eastman has some strict EPA standards they have to keep, but it's nonetheless a big chemical plant.

The lakes and rivers around Cookeville aren't connected to the Holston or Tennessee rivers, I mean they are downstream, so Cookeville's water supply (Center Hill Lake) isn't contaminated by Eastman. The same can be said for Nashville's water supply.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:42 PM

cookeville is looking better and better...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee