Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 04:54 PM

710 posts, read 1,961,790 times

Advertisements

Don't I know that story. Maybe you could find something that's not 4-year but gives you a leg up in the $$$ game? I'm sure you could manage anything you set your mind to in terms of schoolwork--I'm sure you know that too, since you've probably worked with a lot of complete dopes with degrees, right? Come on, come on...we all have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 05:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
Don't I know that story. Maybe you could find something that's not 4-year but gives you a leg up in the $$$ game? I'm sure you could manage anything you set your mind to in terms of schoolwork--I'm sure you know that too, since you've probably worked with a lot of complete dopes with degrees, right? Come on, come on...we all have!
Do you know who many college kids I have dealt with that can't figure out how to click on Internet Explorer to get on the internet, but have to have a paper done?

What about the college professor that lives on Lookout Mountain, just came back from a tour of Europe, but is so scattered that she can't follow directions.

Or, my personal favorite, the two teachers that sat the entire weekend with their new cable service, but couldn't view programs. They said that the screen said "Millie."

Yeah. It said MILI, as in Military Channel. They didn't have a subscription to that service, so the program never came on. It never occurred to either one that they could change the channel, or how.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:23 PM

710 posts, read 1,961,790 times
Ha!!!!!! Oh my gosh. Yeah, I think we can all probably relate to that. Annnnd maybe some of us can relate to it from being kind of the dope in the situation.... I've stunned myself more than once by my, shall we say, lack of common sense. It's always so clear in hindsight...

Old 02-29-2008, 05:47 PM

Yes. But I'm at the poorly paying job. Maybe I don't have any common sense.

But the subject is minimum wage, and I really don't want anything to swing to the left, either. That would be a disaster, but big business has taken over this whole country to the point of where we vote for politicians that do their bidding.

You and I are left behind. We have become collateral damage.

And that comes back to Tennesseans. I think that they are force-fed this pap of God and country and American pie and they come back in body bags or as honored veterans that are paid minimum wage if they have all their limbs. If they don't, will they get treatment?

You see, we are not great human beings and that is why we need laws.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:27 PM

12 posts, read 66,386 times
I have enjoyed the debate. I hope I didn't offend anyone. If so, I apologize. I guess we can agree to disagree on some points. I know as well as anyone that education doesn't necessarily translate to intelligence, and that employers are frequently unable to see the value of a person's work. Honestly, the minimum wage is not much of a concern for me compared to the other wasteful policies foisted upon us by Washington. Being underemployed is what motivated me to go to medical school, and though I wasn't making minimum wage, I knew I could do something better with my life. Thanks for all of the posts in this thread and in others. I am looking forward to returning to Tennessee after I finish school and I like reading about the various cities on this board.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,952 times
The State of Tennessee will follow the federal minimum wage standard. This is whatever the Congress passes, that is the minimum wage it will enforce. However, states may be able to raise the minimum wage from the federal standard, but cannot go below the amount set by the federal government.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:41 AM

27 posts, read 110,786 times
Sorry the minimum wage laws don't hurt business except in the sense it stops business from paying $1.00/hr. We had that in the late 20s with filth, remember the Upton Sinclair books, child labour and such.

To say that a business would go out or not come into being because the minimum wage is 5.50 and the employer can only pay 5.00/hr you could simply have the owners take less profit.

If that still isn't working the business is marginal at best and isn't needed in an economy.

Look at it this way, cell phones are not needed, yet we buy them and pump BILLIONS of dollars into the economy for cell phones which aren't a necessity. So if we did away with cell phones look at all those people who would be out of work. Would they NEVER get jobs? No they'd find other jobs. So if the people who are out of work because their employers can't pay minimum they'd simply find jobs paying better. And the one or two that don't find such jobs would be offset by the higher wages of those who do.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:47 AM

173 posts, read 258,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
And the one or two that don't find such jobs would be offset by the higher wages of those who do.
I think you just proved the point?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:45 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Im curious are there people in Tenn actually working for $4 or $5 an hour or even less than that. Jobs such as Retail and other type jobs. If that is the case something is very wrong in Tennessee, and with the people allowing themselves to be treated that way.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Im curious are there people in Tenn actually working for $4 or $5 an hour or even less than that. Jobs such as Retail and other type jobs. If that is the case something is very wrong in Tennessee, and with the people allowing themselves to be treated that way.
Please read post #26, just above. Thank you.

In fact, I would encourage you to read the entire thread. It's old, but not outdated. The Federal minimum wage still applies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee