Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2017, 09:14 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times

Advertisements

Oak Ridge is Tennessee's safest city, report says
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 07:30 PM

191 posts, read 308,256 times
If they're using 2015 crime data, why does it say 'The 20 Safest Cities in Tennessee—2017'?

Old 10-30-2017, 10:15 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geranium View Post
If they're using 2015 crime data, why does it say 'The 20 Safest Cities in Tennessee—2017'?
Because it was written by a security system company.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:35 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Usually they don't have data any more recent than that for these types of articles, but 2016 data would probably be more current. Still, I think it shows that not all of Tennessee is a crime and drug haven as some posters would have people believe. State wide averages include the high numbers from Memphis, etc, and that skews the numbers for the whole state. I live in Loudon area, so I was very happy to see Loudon in the top 10 for lowest crime rate in the state.

Actually the article was written by a newspaper staff writer, but based on a report by Safewise, a website that reviews, rates, and compares security systems, not a security system company.

Old 10-30-2017, 03:26 PM

191 posts, read 308,256 times
It's reassuring to know that the drug issues of surrounding counties didn't spread to Oak Ridge in the intervening two years.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:55 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
Default List of Safest Cities in Tennessee

It lists a couple of Kingsport suburbs, Mt Carmel and Church Hill.

Last edited by JMT; 10-30-2017 at 06:02 PM..

Old 11-02-2017, 02:04 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geranium View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Usually they don't have data any more recent than that for these types of articles, but 2016 data would probably be more current. Still, I think it shows that not all of Tennessee is a crime and drug haven as some posters would have people believe. State wide averages include the high numbers from Memphis, etc, and that skews the numbers for the whole state. I live in Loudon area, so I was very happy to see Loudon in the top 10 for lowest crime rate in the state.

Actually the article was written by a newspaper staff writer, but based on a report by Safewise, a website that reviews, rates, and compares security systems, not a security system company.
I was addressing geranium's question. Read it again.

The Knoxville Sentinel's headline does not say "The 20 Safest Cities in Tennessee."

Geranium was referring to the post on the security website.

For what it's worth, Safewise is a third-party aggregator that sells security systems. The author of that post is their marketer.

I agree that large cities will skew the crime data, but ranking states, on the whole, is a ridiculous endeavor, anyway.

By the way, there are numerous websites that claim that they crunched the numbers as well.

https://www.homesnacks.net/cities/sa...-in-tennessee/

https://www.alarms.org/the-safest-ci...ennessee-2017/

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...s/s/tennessee/

https://www.safehome.org/safest-cities/tn/

I could keep going, but you get the idea. It's all about the clicks.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:06 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I was addressing geranium's question. Read it again.

The Knoxville Sentinel's headline does not say "The 20 Safest Cities in Tennessee."

Geranium was referring to the post on the security website.

For what it's worth, Safewise is a third-party aggregator that sells security systems. The author of that post is their marketer.

I agree that large cities will skew the crime data, but ranking states, on the whole, is a ridiculous endeavor, anyway.

By the way, there are numerous websites that claim that they crunched the numbers as well.

https://www.homesnacks.net/cities/sa...-in-tennessee/

https://www.alarms.org/the-safest-ci...ennessee-2017/

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live...s/s/tennessee/

https://www.safehome.org/safest-cities/tn/

I could keep going, but you get the idea. It's all about the clicks.
Exactly.

In addition, the FBI itself has warned people over and over against using its own stats to compare places. Not every entity--even within the same state--records and reports crime the same.

Plus, crime stats are based on city populations which means bedroom communities whose daytime populations shrink as people leave to work in neighboring cities will likely benefit from these rankings. Conversely, a town whose daytime population grows because the town is a hub for jobs, shopping, restaurants, etc., will be penalized by these rankings.

Take, for example, Morristown, whose population is about 30,000. Its daytime population swells to about 45,000 as people come into town for work, shopping, school, government, etc. So while most crime in Morristown happens during the day, when its population is 45,000 (shoplifting, stolen purses, petty theft, etc.), its crime stat is based on its resident population of 30,000.

Oak Ridge should also have an asterisk by its ranking. Even though Oak Ridge's daytime population increases by about 50% over its resident population because of the thousands who commute there for work, most of those workers driving into Oak Ridge drive into heavily secured facilities.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 11-02-2017 at 04:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee