Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 02:26 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,989,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie33 View Post
Interesting.........

After giving BRENTWOOD a thorough study you are probably right. While it may be a little pricey for us (one website listed the median home price at right around $550K), we just didn’t see it as a good fit. Plus, it had a very poor rating for crime. Seems to be a high rate of home burglaries in the area.

The more we are online the more we have become intrigued. We know we don’t want to be in a city. Good medical care is a must (our current drive to see the wife’s cardiologist) is under 10 minuets. I’m sure they will be some give and take. It seems our list of areas changes daily.

Along with our ever changing list, we upped our home purchase price. I figured I should see what Zillow estimate our home at. I know the market here is going nuts, but I had no idea how nuts. Luckily with selling our home we can push our purchase price over the $500 without a problem. And out here plenty of people are paying CASH. It’s crazy.

So we decided to come out next month for a short 4-day trip to get a glimpse. Plus, not a lot of good BBQ in this area.
I think the crime you're seeing for "Brentwood" really isn't Brentwood but the part of Nashville/Davidson County that many like to call Brentwood even though it isn't. Part of Brentwood's 37027 ZIP code also goes into Nashville. Even Brentwood's post office is actually just across the line in Davidson County. Brentwood proper (the "real" Brentwood) is very, very safe.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by Yac; 11-27-2020 at 03:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 04:41 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
High crime in Brentwood.

The City Data US average crime index rating is 316. The lower the number, the better. Brentwood is about 90. By contrast, where you live now the rating is about 170. Maryville is 158. All indicate low crime, but Brentwood is not a high crime area, as JMT indicated.

Burglaries? Maybe Tammy Wynette borrowed George Jones' lawnmower and forgot to give it back?
Brentwood is VERY toney.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:08 AM

529 posts, read 492,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie33 View Post
Interesting.........

After giving BRENTWOOD a thorough study you are probably right. While it may be a little pricey for us (one website listed the median home price at right around $550K), we just didn’t see it as a good fit. Plus, it had a very poor rating for crime. Seems to be a high rate of home burglaries in the area.

The more we are online the more we have become intrigued. We know we don’t want to be in a city. Good medical care is a must (our current drive to see the wife’s cardiologist) is under 10 minuets. I’m sure they will be some give and take. It seems our list of areas changes daily.

Along with our ever changing list, we upped our home purchase price. I figured I should see what Zillow estimate our home at. I know the market here is going nuts, but I had no idea how nuts. Luckily with selling our home we can push our purchase price over the $500 without a problem. And out here plenty of people are paying CASH. It’s crazy.

So we decided to come out next month for a short 4-day trip to get a glimpse. Plus, not a lot of good BBQ in this area.
I am also looking in Tennessee for a house to buy. Been riding my motorcycle around the state for about three weeks looking, and have pretty much decided on the area south of Franklin, to around the Spring Hill area. The area is expensive comparatively to other areas of the state, but the suburbs/rural areas just outside of the cities are not bad (which I love). And also not far from major medical facilities.

As far as crime, the area (including Brentwood) for me was one of the better areas. Every area, of course has crime, but the area (and one you are thinking about) seems really good. It is not an area that is a small pocket of good, surrounded by bad. I am not a fan of living in an area that is "fenced" in by higher crime, as some of the "best" rated areas are. I know Cookeville/Crossville are pretty good also. I was not impressed with the feel of the eastern part of the state.

This is only my observation, and my feeling of looking around. Even in the areas most would not venture in. I am sure someone will chime in on how wrong I am, and that is okay, it is a quick "snapshot" of my feelings.

Last edited by Yac; 11-27-2020 at 03:02 AM..

Old 08-23-2018, 02:22 PM

16,284 posts, read 10,431,766 times
As many here know I've been researching TN for several years as a retirement destination. We settled on Maryville for a number of reasons and are very happy with this decision. One of the factors was summer heat, if you are moving from Chicago to the Nashville area I suggest you take a trip in summer, it's really really hot.

Old 08-23-2018, 05:05 PM

86 posts, read 223,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
As many here know I've been researching TN for several years as a retirement destination. We settled on Maryville for a number of reasons and are very happy with this decision. One of the factors was summer heat, if you are moving from Chicago to the Nashville area I suggest you take a trip in summer, it's really really hot.
Hot you say?

I did live in the Chicagoland area for 33 years. Couldn't wait to get out. We currently live in Southern Utah (about 120 miles north of Vegas). A "cold" front came through a couple of days ago. High today is only 95. Funny thing......it does feel MUCH cooler. Of course, there for a bit we were running highs of 108-110. I would walk the dog early and again at 8 PM and it was still hovering around the century mark. So, yeah, it was warm.

People here in the desert say, "But it's a DRY heat." This is true. When it's 95 and you are standing in the shade it is quite comfortable. But if it's 95 and you are in the sun.......hey, that's HOT. And you really better be careful getting into a hot car and placing your hands on a black steering wheel. OUCH!

Are we ready for the hot and sticky and muggy. We shall see. Personally, I love to SWEAT!

We have our trip booked for next month. We both are very excited about the possibilities. For a number of reasons I believe we are ready to relocate. As mentioned previously, we would like to find a nice friendly community, close to a good medical facility. Would love to find a place with a great downtown with some nice quaint shops and restaurants. My wife is big into antique-type shops. Actually, she's probably into any shop that smells of potpourri.

As it currently stands our itinerary looks something like this. My wife had previously planned some time in the Chicago area. We decided to extend her midwest stay and have her fly to Nashville and meet me for a brief Tennessee visit. Our first stop will be a visit to Franklin where will will spend the night. Next morning we want to cruse through Hendersonville and Gallatin and check out those towns. From there we will be off to give a good look at Cookeville. After Cookeville we will head towards Knoxville and hopefully see Oak Ridge, Farragut, and Maryville. We plan on spending the night in Maryville.

At some point (either leaving or returning to Nashville) we will also hit Mount Juliet. So those are the spots on our quick little Tennessee excursion. We simply want to peruse the areas and get a personal look. No matter how much info I can gather in here, at some point you just gotta see for yourself. If we can find a nice landing spot we will return to find a home (hopefully).

And it has been very interesting looking at all the housing possibilities.

As always, I greatly appreciate any and all input.

Last edited by Townie33; 08-23-2018 at 05:14 PM..

Old 08-24-2018, 04:15 AM

I'll just say 95 in Nashville is a lot different than 95 in Utah. Not sure if you will feel it in a month but you would have felt it last month. I have a great BnB recommendation that's about 15 minutes from Maryville, if interested send me a message. But of course it's not right in Maryville.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:21 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,318,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I'll just say 95 in Nashville is a lot different than 95 in Utah. Not sure if you will feel it in a month but you would have felt it last month.
Oh, yeah.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:09 PM

86 posts, read 223,646 times
Not downplaying the SWELTERING 95 degree Tennessee heat by any means.......

Old 08-24-2018, 12:39 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,989,325 times
"But it's a dry heat!" I heard that all the time while living in Utah. 95 is 95 is 95. It doesn't make the steering wheel any cooler or the leather seats any more comfortable. I mean, an oven is also dry heat, but I'm sure that's of little comfort to the Thanksgiving turkey. Besides, I got tired of having picnics out in the desert where the sandwiches dried to a crumble before we had a chance to finish them. My skin certainly likes the humidity better.

Since Maryville was brought into this discussion, it's worth noting that Knoxville/Maryville is actually a degree or two warmer than Cookeville (which Townie33 is also considering) and has slightly higher summer humidity levels than Cookeville although it might not be enough to make much of a difference to most people.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-24-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
"But it's a dry heat!" I heard that all the time while living in Utah. 95 is 95 is 95. It doesn't make the steering wheel any cooler or the leather seats any more comfortable. I mean, an oven is also dry heat, but I'm sure that's of little comfort to the Thanksgiving turkey.
Boy I could not disagree more. I got off a plane in Phoenix and was told it was 106. I didn't believe it, then I had to confirm with the thermometer on the dash of the rental car because it just didn't feel that hot. I got out to feel the heat by the side of the highway, there is no hotter place than the side of the highway. Now granted it was late afternoon and not the noon day sun, so I totally get your point about the steering wheel, but it sure didn't feel like it was 106. More like 88-90 with humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee