Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 10:22 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AConcernedCitizen View Post
.......There was one place in west TN (Obion County) where firefighters refused to extinguish a fire because a homeowner forget to pay his $75 subscription. He offerred to pay them on the spot, but they still refused.......
If we're talking about the same story, the one I recall making the news was of a homeowner who, for years, refused to pay the subscription fee to have the firefighters risk their lives for his property.

When they arrived they just made sure his neighbor's homes (presumably, the ones who did pay) didn't ignite.

I currently pay for a subscription for a piece of land. When the home is built we'll pay more without even thinking about it.

Modern day fire fighters go through a lot of training, have expensive equipment to maintain and as I said, risk their lives.

There's no excuse to not want to pay for their services either through taxes or subscription.

Our law enforcement officers are county sheriffs with salaries, health/dental/vision benefits and pensions.

Old 02-27-2020, 10:32 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
I absolutely agree. It seems like emergency services here in Tennessee (fire, rescue, EMS) are second-class compared to law enforcement and don't receive nearly as much attention and funding. It is pretty sad when a decently populated county can fund parks and rec and other things, but not its public safety.
Law enforcement is categorized as public safety.

Which county, specifically?

Old 02-27-2020, 12:49 PM

4 posts, read 4,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Law enforcement is categorized as public safety.

Which county, specifically?
They fund law enforcement, not fire, and in some counties, they don't fund rescue either. The last time I checked, Blount County Rescue Squad does not receive any tax revenue.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:04 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
They fund law enforcement, not fire, and in some counties, they don't fund rescue either. The last time I checked, Blount County Rescue Squad does not receive any tax revenue.
That's how most counties cover fire service. Blount County's is a nonprofit, but it's not a subscription service.

Cities offer fire service, which is funded through city property tax revenue. As I said before, it's one of the most expensive items in a city budget because of personnel and equipment. But counties usually have mutual-aid agreements with cities to get help during incidents when needed.

What are you confused about?

Old 02-27-2020, 04:40 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,246,315 times
The house that was let burn: No pay, no spray: Firefighters let home burn - US news - Life | NBC News

The homeowner said he "forgot", but in reality he hadn't been a subscriber for years. I understand their policy, but I don't agree with it.

Personally I live just outside city limits. City resident taxes pay for fire, plus police, sewer, garbage pickup, brush pickup, landfill access, and a few other benefits.

As a county resident I don't have to pay city taxes and have to pay a little over $100/year for a subscription service to a top-rated volunteer fire department. But if I wasn't a subscriber, they would still show up and fight the fire... then send a huge bill.

Old 02-27-2020, 05:20 PM

843 posts, read 1,432,571 times
I don't understand why public works shouldn't be fully funded unless you're assuming rates cover all of the expenses.

Old 03-16-2020, 07:23 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,912,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crltn19 View Post
It seems the OP was talking about Rural Metro of Knox County. I totally understand your argument. But remember - you have already saved a ton on property taxes by living outside the city limits, then why complain about the lack of a fire district tax? I'm totally fine with paying an extra $250 a year on fire service "subscription" and another $200 on trash pickup because my savings on property taxes would be more than enough to offset these expenses. If someone else doesn't want to pay, it's their decision and they better suck it up when their house is on fire. Same thing with health insurance. Are you suggesting government mandated health insurance (like Obamacare) is always a good idea?
Are you "totally fine" that only 40% of Knox County residents pay the subscription to provide the capacity to fight fires at 100% of the properties in the county? I am not! This should be a local government service to which everyone contributes. I am not happy to be paying more so 60% of county residents can pay zero.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:24 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post
........As a county resident I don't have to pay city taxes and have to pay a little over $100/year for a subscription service to a top-rated volunteer fire department. But if I wasn't a subscriber, they would still show up and fight the fire... then send a huge bill.
As it should be. Those men and women risk their lives. There's no free lunch here.

In a city, where your taxes cover fire fighting, what do think will happen to your home if you decide to stop paying your property taxes, fire or no fire?

Old 03-17-2020, 10:41 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,163,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Are you "totally fine" that only 40% of Knox County residents pay the subscription to provide the capacity to fight fires at 100% of the properties in the county? I am not! This should be a local government service to which everyone contributes. I am not happy to be paying more so 60% of county residents can pay zero.
Do they? I was under the impression that those folks who don't pay the subscription are billed for services after the fact, and that it's not exactly a bargain. Of course I'm sure that some of them just don't pay the bill, but I find it hard to believe that a handful of subscribers are footing the bill for the entire county.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:14 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,912,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Do they? I was under the impression that those folks who don't pay the subscription are billed for services after the fact, and that it's not exactly a bargain. Of course I'm sure that some of them just don't pay the bill, but I find it hard to believe that a handful of subscribers are footing the bill for the entire county.
After the fact payments amount to only about 5% of the revenue. Think about it. Most people never have a fire, but the capacity to serve them has to be paid for EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee