Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 08:39 AM

4 posts, read 4,669 times

Advertisements

I live in an East Tennessee county that is heavily populated.
The county's mayor and the commissioners outright refuse to help fund the county's fire departments. Meanwhile, they fund leisure services like parks and recreation. You would think public safety would be a higher priority.
Other surrounding counties are the same. Some of these counties even lack emergency medical first responders (fire dept or rescue squads that respond to medical emergencies and assist ambulance crews).
The fire departments where I live rely on solely subscription fees and generous donations. Some places here locally, if you forget to pay a subscription and there is a fire, you can be charged thousands of dollars per engine, per hour.

There was one place in west TN (Obion County) where firefighters refused to extinguish a fire because a homeowner forget to pay his $75 subscription. He offerred to pay them on the spot, but they still refused.

I am a conservative and all, but I feel public safety services should receive some kind of tax funding above parks and rec.

It is messed up.

Old 02-26-2020, 09:16 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I live in Sullivan County.

This is one reason I prefer to live in the city limits. I'd much rather have paid firefighters, EMS, etc., rather than having to rely solely on volunteer firefighter services that may not be adequately staffed or funded. My city taxes are $375 annually and that's less than the difference between my cheap city trash and what my parents pay for Waste Management every year.

I haven't personally run into these issues or know anyone directly impacted, but have heard of the issues occasionally.

IMO, public safety funding should come well before parks and recreation, but Tennesseans want low taxes, and sometimes choices have to be made in that environment.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I live in Sullivan County.

This is one reason I prefer to live in the city limits. I'd much rather have paid firefighters, EMS, etc., rather than having to rely solely on volunteer firefighter services that may not be adequately staffed or funded. My city taxes are $375 annually and that's less than the difference between my cheap city trash and what my parents pay for Waste Management every year.

I haven't personally run into these issues or know anyone directly impacted, but have heard of the issues occasionally.

IMO, public safety funding should come well before parks and recreation, but Tennesseans want low taxes, and sometimes choices have to be made in that environment.
Sullivan County is great with their public safety. They have a county EMS department and a county first responder system set up. I interviewed with their EMS dept one time.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:54 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AConcernedCitizen View Post
I live in an East Tennessee county that is heavily populated.
The county's mayor and the commissioners outright refuse to help fund the county's fire departments. Meanwhile, they fund leisure services like parks and recreation. You would think public safety would be a higher priority.
Other surrounding counties are the same. Some of these counties even lack emergency medical first responders (fire dept or rescue squads that respond to medical emergencies and assist ambulance crews).
The fire departments where I live rely on solely subscription fees and generous donations. Some places here locally, if you forget to pay a subscription and there is a fire, you can be charged thousands of dollars per engine, per hour.

There was one place in west TN (Obion County) where firefighters refused to extinguish a fire because a homeowner forget to pay his $75 subscription. He offerred to pay them on the spot, but they still refused.

I am a conservative and all, but I feel public safety services should receive some kind of tax funding above parks and rec.

It is messed up.
They REFUSE to fund their public safety officers? As in not at all?? Police and fire usually make up the biggest part of a municipal budget, after schools.

What county are you in?

Old 02-26-2020, 11:19 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
They REFUSE to fund their public safety officers? As in not at all?? Police and fire usually make up the biggest part of a municipal budget, after schools.

What county are you in?
I would think that every county has a sheriff's department and paid law enforcement. I know that there are rural areas where you pay some sort of subscription fee for fire and EMS coverage - if you don't have it, you get billed some sort of astronomical rate like the OP mentioned.

I don't think it's too terribly common, but it is around.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:36 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I would think that every county has a sheriff's department and paid law enforcement. I know that there are rural areas where you pay some sort of subscription fee for fire and EMS coverage - if you don't have it, you get billed some sort of astronomical rate like the OP mentioned.

I don't think it's too terribly common, but it is around.
I understand subscription services. I have a feeling there is a misunderstanding going on, either of the situation there or the explanation of it here.

Old 02-26-2020, 02:58 PM

186 posts, read 283,588 times
It seems the OP was talking about Rural Metro of Knox County. I totally understand your argument. But remember - you have already saved a ton on property taxes by living outside the city limits, then why complain about the lack of a fire district tax? I'm totally fine with paying an extra $250 a year on fire service "subscription" and another $200 on trash pickup because my savings on property taxes would be more than enough to offset these expenses. If someone else doesn't want to pay, it's their decision and they better suck it up when their house is on fire. Same thing with health insurance. Are you suggesting government mandated health insurance (like Obamacare) is always a good idea?

Old 02-26-2020, 07:04 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AConcernedCitizen View Post
And you can't take out an insurance policy after your roof blows off in a storm and expect them to cover the cost of repairs. That's basically what your fire subscription is, insurance.

Old 02-27-2020, 08:52 AM

585 posts, read 635,633 times
IMHO, the primary function of government is the safety and protection of its citizens, id est - police, fire, and military.

Even education is second, but highly desired for the future growth, standing and benefit of government and its citizens. Still second.

AFTER those are fully funded, any other government provisions like Parks and Rec, Public Works, etc. can come into play if the funding exists.

Almost everything else is a tertiary priority.

Social Services are a distant fourth priority.

Again, IMHO.

Last edited by ElDiabloJoe; 02-27-2020 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: Corrected a spelling, dog stepped on keyboard while I was typing.

Old 02-27-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
IMHO, the primary function of government is the safety and protection of its citizens, id est - police, fire, and military.

Even education is second, but highly desired for the future growth, standing and benefit of government and its citizens. Still second.

AFTER those are fully funded, any other government provisions like Parks and Rec, Public Works, etc. can come into play if the funding exists.

Almost everything else is a tertiary priority.

Social Services are a distant fourth priority.

Again, IMHO.
I absolutely agree. It seems like emergency services here in Tennessee (fire, rescue, EMS) are second-class compared to law enforcement and don't receive nearly as much attention and funding. It is pretty sad when a decently populated county can fund parks and rec and other things, but not its public safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee