Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2020, 02:18 PM

21 posts, read 22,315 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are looking to relocate to TN and are doing the research but nothing better than asking people who live there. We have a toddler and my in-laws who will be coming with us. Here are our criteria:

1. Pleasant climate: no harsh winters, sunny, summers not crazy hot
2. A growing city of 100,000+ min population
3. Business-friendly
4. Outdoors to explore
5. NO alligators please (I know they rarely attack humans, I just want to be completely comfortable around water and not have to think about it)
6. Is there a place that is tornado-safe?
7. Am I asking for too much?

Thank you in advance for your ideas!

Last edited by bubble17; 08-03-2020 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 02:27 PM

1,169 posts, read 751,079 times
I guess I'm curious, why Tennessee?

You won't find alligators in Tennessee unless you are at the zoo, or find the occasional abandoned pet in the sewer like in NYC

I grew up mostly in Tennessee in Nashville and then in west TN, but traveled all over the state in my late teens and twenties exploring. Most of west TN is basically the Mississippi delta, with moist and sweltering summers with lots of thunderstorms and the occasional tornado. Mild winters that occasionally dip down into the teens and twenties and the odd ice or snow storm which melts within hours. Middle TN is combination of flatter areas and rolling forest land and of course Nashville is one of the trendiest and "hottest" cities in the South at the moment. East TN has flat valleys, rolling hills, the Cumberland Plateau, and then the southern Appalachian mountains. It is absolutely gorgeous for outdoor activities - also with many boating destinations.

Speaking of tornadoes, they are possible anywhere in the state though east TN sees less of them due to prevailing weather patterns.

If I were to move back to TN absent any family or work considerations, I would be in Chattanooga due to my own outdoor interests of hiking and both motorboating and whitewater boating, it's growing and is fairly trendy at the moment. Some of the larger suburb-cities around Nashville would come close to your criteria too like Franklin/Brentwood and Murfreesboro. Still hot and humid in the summer though maybe 3-5 degrees cooler than the Memphis or Jackson areas on average, but winters can also be cooler with wide swings. Can be in the high sixties one week and in the low twenties the next.

Last edited by alaskaflyer; 08-03-2020 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-03-2020, 02:44 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
1. Define harsh winter and not crazy hot.
2. Limits you to Nashville metro, Memphis, Chatt, Knoxville, Clarksville.
6. Like never a tornado? NO

Jobs?
Housing budget?

Old 08-03-2020, 03:23 PM

alaskaflyer - Thanks for the reply! We are considering TN, Arkansas and South Carolina and I've posted similar question in the other states' sections. As for why.. we are currently in CA. Should I say more?

N.Cal - Thanks! Would prefer no or little snow and not hotter than 90s in the summer. I telecommute and my husbands invests in real estate so we don't have an immediate need for jobs but would like opportunities for our little one, so he doesn't feel like he needs to run away from home when he grows up. Housing budget around $500,000 but we don't need a big house - just in a good safe area.

Old 08-03-2020, 03:31 PM

186 posts, read 283,394 times
East TN has the lowest tornado risks due to topography. Alligators are generally not found in this state (too cold in the winter for them) but there have been occasional sightings in extreme SW part of the state (where it is warmer) and some could have been released by people who had kept them as pets.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubble17 View Post
alaskaflyer - Thanks for the reply! We are considering TN, Arkansas and South Carolina and I've posted similar question in the other states' sections. As for why.. we are currently in CA. Should I say more?

N.Cal - Thanks! Would prefer no or little snow and not hotter than 90s in the summer. I telecommute and my husbands invests in real estate so we don't have an immediate need for jobs but would like opportunities for our little one, so he doesn't feel like he needs to run away from home when he grows up. Housing budget around $500,000 but we don't need a big house - just in a good safe area.
Well, you described the Southern California area. Parts of Oregon, too.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:07 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
I'd suggest either Knoxville or Chattanooga areas. Both have mountains and great lakes/rivers.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Well, you described the Southern California area. Parts of Oregon, too.
We currently live in CA... Love the weather but this beautiful state is sadly being destroyed by people in power with bad ideas. I can definitely put up with worse weather for a change of political climate Just trying to find someplace that is pleasant enough.

Old 08-04-2020, 05:27 AM

230 posts, read 189,866 times
Cookeville isn't 100,000 pop. but meets all your other criteria.

Old 08-04-2020, 05:54 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Keep in mind that most land about 3000' or so where you get the reduced summer temperatures in TN is national park/forest, or generally otherwise protected. It's not easy to find buildable land that high up.

Here in the Tri-Cities, low 90s can be common, but not all the time, and certainly not like hotter portions of the state farther west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee