Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2006, 12:06 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,874,462 times

Advertisements

Now that the State RETIREE recruit web has put Hamilton Co(Chattanooga) in the Top Ten regions, can share some FINE PRINT stuff not mentioned up front. Area centainly beautiful, and roads all smooth , paved. Have yet to find a Dirt raod In TENN. First topic is usually out of state vehicles, license.
Believe Hamilton co only has TWO offfices for large population, no adm reply. 1st paperwork is the Certified Emission center even before apply for license PLATES. Bring $10 CASH ,No Large bills, All vehicles, those prior to 96 get tailpipe monitor, 96 newer computer check, Dont bring vehicle if CATALIC Convertor removed, also the Jeff Foxworthy gas cap test, (NO RAG ), need
. pressurized screw-click cap. . At the License offce if you have extra certifications, example MotorCycle, it will cost DOUBLE for the extra M Letter. I know if will pay 2nd plate reg if we keep bike, and can not drive two vehicles at the same time, maybe a extra $5 or $10 , but Double seems much.
Those Welcome Webs have lots of info, state parks, etc, Chamber Of Commerce where one can read State Maps $5,( Stop get one free at expressway welcome center when drive across border), and the New Resident/Relocation Packet $8 (Only if Chamber Member), $15 for non-members..?? How about Free if really serious about recruit retired people. Also at the Vehicle Plate office need ADDRESS of the LOAN CO if you are making payments and not holding the Title of the vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 12:31 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,630,018 times
Again, the lesson of relativity.

Getting my cars smogged and registered in TN is far easier and cheaper than in CA. Too easy, actually. I'm amazed at the exhaust from approved cars here.

Not sure what you experienced in Dayton, but I can't imagine it being any more lenient or inexpensive than here in TN.

Hope things improve for you soon. Happy New Year.

Old 12-28-2006, 01:15 PM

359 posts, read 1,635,757 times
Annual renewal tags for autos run from $25 (in Sullivan County and others) to $45 to $87.50 to $107 (in Shelby County=Memphis).

Again, take the bad with the good.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:32 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Umm, our vehicles didn't need testing. Is that a Hamilton County thing?

Old 12-28-2006, 04:48 PM

31 posts, read 106,943 times
What is the process for switching your driver license from NJ to TN..Is it just a matter of taking the written test? and what abt Id..in jersey you have to have your birth cert. your wedding lcs a copy of a bill with your home address or a passport. Its the whole 9/11 terrorism thing.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:55 PM

As long as the NJ license is active you do not have to take the written test.

I needed my birth certificate, FL license, and a copy of a bill or lease with the new address on it. I did NOT need my marraige certificate. I forget what it cost, but it was very reasonable. They were very laid back.

I had rapid vision loss, so did not have glasses but was having a hard time seeing. I did not pass the vision test. I was so stressed out, because the photo machine kept going down, so we had been waiting about 45 minutes to get our licenses.

I cried.

They passed me, anyway. The next day, I went and got glasses.

That's Tennessee.

If you are an honorable person they will take your word for things. It's a kinder, gentler way to live.

In Florida, we would wait for hours at the DMV, just to be turned away. They were rude, too!

Old 12-28-2006, 05:37 PM

408 posts, read 1,977,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Umm, our vehicles didn't need testing. Is that a Hamilton County thing?
Emissons testing is in Middle TN and apparently Chatanooga. I'm not sure about the Memphis area. It hasn't hit the Knoxville area (yet) nor Tri-cities.

I do have a list of how much tags cost in each county if any one wants to know. They range from $24 to $106- not including the $10 for the emissions test in certain areas.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:55 PM

31 posts, read 106,943 times
Very cool thx for the info hiknapster. NJ dmv is out of control. I was given a number that had to be called just to wait in line to show my 3 proofs of ID the wait for my number was 30 min the wait in line to show ID was abt 10 min then you go to a diff. line to get your picture taken and wait another 15 min then you wait in line to pay for it. the whole process took abt 65 to 70 min. and if you waited in line and something was wrong or your 3 proofs of ID were wrong you get to go home and start all over again. The best thing abt NJ, will be leaving it !!!!

Old 12-28-2006, 06:18 PM

We got to the Florida DMV at 1 p.m. on a Friday. They closed the door at 6 p.m. My husband was NEXT IN LINE! In five hours we didn't get called for ANYTHING. Joizy ain't got nothing on Floriduh!

Old 12-29-2006, 07:59 AM

86 posts, read 333,692 times
Default Emissions Testing in TN

Not all counties require emissions testing...info below from the state air pollution control agency.

"The State of Tennessee developed more restrictive regulations to control air pollution from mobile sources in counties which were not meeting the new 8-hour ozone Federal Standards for air quality. As a result, certain vehicles registered in Hamilton, Davidson, Rutherford, Sumner, Williamson and Wilson counties are required to pass a vehicle emission test. Gasoline and diesel vehicles with a model year of 1975 and newer weighing less than 10,500 pounds GVWR must pass an emission test before the vehicle’s registration can be renewed. (Motorcycles are exempt)."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee