Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2021, 10:27 AM

383 posts, read 279,867 times

Advertisements

We are considering leaving South Florida to get away from hurricanes and the extreme heat .
would like to be semi rural , we live in the last semi rural part of palm beach county on 1.24 acres and dirt road but very near a main artery thats crazy busy.
we carry ZERO debt but would need access to office/admin type employment and housing in the 200k range
not looking for acreage BUT not urban either
restaurants/bars nightlife is of ZERO interest
access to boating/fishing is important
several years back we spent some time around johnson city it was ok but way to urban for us

what say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 12:48 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
I say that I think your request is a bit broad. You could probably find what you are looking for just outside many of the smaller cities and towns in all areas of TN, if you're willing to make the commute to work.
In northeast TN, if JC is too big you might look at Piney Flats, Church Hill, Bluff City, Blountville, Fall Branch, Elizabethton, etc.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:51 PM

383 posts, read 279,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I say that I think your request is a bit broad. You could probably find what you are looking for just outside many of the smaller cities and towns in all areas of TN, if you're willing to make the commute to work.
In northeast TN, if JC is too big you might look at Piney Flats, Church Hill, Bluff City, Blountville, Fall Branch, Elizabethton, etc.
I am sorry if I am being to broad perhaps help me to narrow things down? with the housing market in south fl on FIRE you literally cant buy a livable home for under 200K unless you want a commute of 2-3 hours daily we would like to avoid that

Old 10-28-2021, 02:25 PM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
You could take a look at the Livingston area as it might check some of your boxes. Easy access to Cookeville for employment and whatever you might need from a larger town. Only fly in the ointment is the $200k housing budget. Depending on what kind of house you are looking for, that might be a bit of a squeeze.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:12 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Western TN is probably going to be the least expensive area of TN for housing, but it will probably be the most restrictive as far as finding an area that is rural but close to jobs.
There's also a fair amount of difference in climate and topography between east and west TN, meaning something of a small difference in the types of outdoor activities. It makes a difference to some people, not so much to others.

Old 10-29-2021, 04:54 PM

143 posts, read 220,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Agree that these are good alternatives to Johnson City/Bristol/Kingsport. Boating and fishing are very popular around here.

Old 10-29-2021, 05:49 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrat View Post
We are considering leaving South Florida to get away from hurricanes and the extreme heat .
would like to be semi rural , we live in the last semi rural part of palm beach county on 1.24 acres and dirt road but very near a main artery thats crazy busy.
we carry ZERO debt but would need access to office/admin type employment and housing in the 200k range
not looking for acreage BUT not urban either
restaurants/bars nightlife is of ZERO interest
access to boating/fishing is important
several years back we spent some time around johnson city it was ok but way to urban for us

what say you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
You could take a look at the Livingston area as it might check some of your boxes. Easy access to Cookeville for employment and whatever you might need from a larger town. Only fly in the ointment is the $200k housing budget. Depending on what kind of house you are looking for, that might be a bit of a squeeze.
I agree with Livingston. I would also look at Gainesboro which has easy access to Cookeville and is probably a smidgeon cheaper than Livingston. But both areas fit what the OP is looking for. In addition, the Gainesboro and Livingston areas are serviced by Twin Lakes which has gigabit internet. It's one of the few rural areas in the state with fiber optic internet connections even way out in the boonies.

Within 40 minutes of Cookeville there's 1200 miles of lake shoreline. Fishing and boating are wildly popular here.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee