Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2023, 05:16 PM

70 posts, read 74,158 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been comparing different towns and locations. As well as weather.

My husband is liking Greeneville more as well as myself. More closer towards the Mt side in the outskirts.

What would be the best bank you recommend in Tenn. I have production and assembly experience of 10 years in automotive. Are there any of jobs in that field around Greene Co?

Tell me more about Greeneville Tenn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2023, 07:06 PM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperG1rl View Post
My husband and I have been comparing different towns and locations. As well as weather.

My husband is liking Greeneville more as well as myself. More closer towards the Mt side in the outskirts.

What would be the best bank you recommend in Tenn. I have production and assembly experience of 10 years in automotive. Are there any of jobs in that field around Greene Co?

Tell me more about Greeneville Tenn.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/sear...rchid=46836839

First Horizon (formerly 1st Tennessee bank) is probably what I would go with to start, as they have a lot of branches and can take care of most of your banking needs.

Old 02-02-2023, 10:04 AM

506 posts, read 1,475,389 times
I am from Greeneville but do not reside there any longer. I make it back once or twice a year and have hometown friends still residing there.

Banks: Andrew Johnson is the local bank, and there are several credit unions folks like. First Horizon (originally First TN) is a big one, but it is also being bought by TD Bank out of Toronto, so depends if you want a more local or national bank.

Weather: Has all 4 seasons, but not much snow other than in the mountains typically. Summers are humid and hot despite the elevation (although certainly not as humid/hot as the Deep South). Allergies can be an issue. I personally enjoy the weather and the Fall is usually great.

Jobs: Line up a job before you move. The jobs are very scarce in Greeneville and the area in general. The pay is low. The unemployment rate in Greene County is high. Your best bet is probably the John Deere Factory--I forget the actual plant name, but they assemble the lawnmowers. I know you said your background was automotive, but outside of working for a dealership, you are likely going to have to open your own shop. The factory is good pay for the area and would be a steady job. The Walmart distribution center in nearby Mosheim also has good positions for the area. I believe these are both competitive positions.

Housing: South Greene County has the most beautiful mountain views, and is closest to the mountains. Be aware, though: they are not overly thrilled with transplants. Even though I grew up in Greeneville, I would be an "outsider" to that part of the sticks. But if you are fine with "sticking to yourselves" then you will be fine. Tusculum, Afton & Chuckey areas also have good views and more transplants, but more expensive. I grew up in town and liked being in the "city." You were still a short drive to the mountains but close to all of the amenities for daily stuff.

Socially: Most folks keep to themselves or have a lifelong friend group. Church and doing church-related activities would probably be the only way to expand your social circle. The majority of folks are Protestant Evangelicals.

Recreation: Plenty of outdoor opportunities with the mountains; Nolichucky River; several lakes nearby. Backpacking, camping, canoeing, hiking (Appalachian Trail runs through Greene Co), fly fishing, kayaking, etc.

Restaurants: Lots of fast foods and not much sit-down. But for a town of its size, Greeneville has a lot of options IMO.

Grocery Stores: Greeneville punches above its weight in the amount of grocery stores: 3 Food Citys, 2 Ingles, Publix, Walmart, and various others. I've heard complaints about prices/selection but again, for a town of its size, it is good.

Other Cities: Good location to other cities. 30ish minutes to Johnson City from town; about an hour to Asheville, NC and Knoxville. Atlanta, Nashville, Raleigh are all about 4. The bigger city airports are the only reasonably-priced airports somewhat nearby. If Dollywood/Gatlinburg is your thing, that is 45 minutes-an hour away (although probably longer with all the traffic).

Greeneville is great, but you have to know what to expect and how to enjoy it. The attractions are the mountains and everything in them. If you move there for that and are content with a quiet life enjoying the outdoors, it is great. If you move there to expand your social circle or expect to be entertained by other attractions, you will be sorely disappointed.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:58 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
The only thing I would add is that Eastman Credit Union will generally have much more favorable rates than local banks.

Old 02-03-2023, 11:35 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
According to my folks, if you can pass a drug test and have a heartbeat, you can get a factory job in Greeneville.

That may be a bit of an overstatement, but there are industrial jobs in Greene County and due to brain drain, the opioid epidemic, and more folks moving into white collar work, I think there is a decent shot at landing a production/assembly job or something very similar.

Maybe a good place to start:
https://www.greenecountypartnership.com/jobs

The Partnership (linked above) could also probably provide you with more info on who the major industrial employers are in the local area, too. I haven't lived in Greeneville in over a decade, so I've kind of lost touch with who is who, these days.

Old 02-03-2023, 02:57 PM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Greeneville was one of my favorite towns in TN, Jonesborough a close second. We were not looking for a hopping metropolis but don't need a whole lot of amenities. We're coming back in the fall to check things out again.

Old 02-04-2023, 07:02 AM

Drug test is not an issue for me at all. I just want to stay away from shopping jobs.

Old 02-04-2023, 11:25 PM

537 posts, read 445,178 times
There are substantially more manufacturing jobs in Morristown than Greene County. You could easily live south of Greeneville and commute to Morristown--the next city south.

I like both communities

I was looking at Johnson City, and schools, the university and non-manufacturing jobs abound. It's the biggest city in the region, however.

Old 02-06-2023, 01:43 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
This has been touched on, but I think it needs some expansion.

The pay in this area is generally very low. That used to be somewhat justified by the low cost of living, but real estate has appreciated rapidly here over the past few years. I bought in Bristol in 2019, and my house is now worth about 50% more than I paid for it. Those kinds of run-ups are pretty common. Pay has gone up a bit, but nothing like the cost of living. The area is quickly becoming "discovered," and difficult to afford on the prevailing local wages.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a 3BR/2BA that's reasonably updated for under $250k in Greenville. When the average job might pay $15-$20/hr, that's not really affordable.

Also, the healthcare in this area is not good. Greenville used to have two community hospitals - that's down to one, and anything semi-serious is going to get referred to Johnson City Medical Center. The regional hospital system isn't well-regarded and there are no other inpatient options. Your closest option for a "not Ballad Heath" facility will be in Morristown.

Old 03-13-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This has been touched on, but I think it needs some expansion.

The pay in this area is generally very low. That used to be somewhat justified by the low cost of living, but real estate has appreciated rapidly here over the past few years. I bought in Bristol in 2019, and my house is now worth about 50% more than I paid for it. Those kinds of run-ups are pretty common. Pay has gone up a bit, but nothing like the cost of living. The area is quickly becoming "discovered," and difficult to afford on the prevailing local wages.

You'll be hard-pressed to find a 3BR/2BA that's reasonably updated for under $250k in Greenville. When the average job might pay $15-$20/hr, that's not really affordable.

Also, the healthcare in this area is not good. Greenville used to have two community hospitals - that's down to one, and anything semi-serious is going to get referred to Johnson City Medical Center. The regional hospital system isn't well-regarded and there are no other inpatient options. Your closest option for a "not Ballad Heath" facility will be in Morristown.
I have been so busy with ton of overtime. Now catching up. My husband and I did research on that. We are thinking maybe a bit more west. Between Knoxville and Nashville. Like Cumberland county? We do want to be surrounded by mountains. It is pretty much everywhere unless its further out.

I am currently making 17 an hour now. I was making a lot more until I left that job a year ago. I had enough. I do not need to be rich but I do not need to be scrapping to the penny either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee