Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:35 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,171 times

Advertisements

Yea! SE Tennessee, or more specifically Chattanooga, has been chosen as the North American site for Volkswagon's new plant. About 2,000-3,000 new jobs should be created for the area.

Is this a return to the old polluted manufacturing days/ways of Chattanooga? We think not as VW is committed to many green initiatives and no doubt chose Chattanooga for it's green efforts.

Hehehe...listen to me....I sound like a tree-hugger!

Chattanooga Times Free Press | Chattanooga lands VW plant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 08:43 AM

950 posts, read 3,192,065 times
I'm glad they have chosen Chattanooga over Alabama! Maybe other companies will start paying attention more to Chattanooga instead of Nashville-Davidson and Knoxville.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:27 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Congrats to Chattanooga. I know ya'll could use the jobs (as could we all!)

Old 07-15-2008, 12:35 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
This is great news! Thanks for sharing it.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:39 PM

Chattanooga Times Free Press | TFP Volkswagen Special Edition

check this out

Old 07-15-2008, 12:49 PM

364 posts, read 1,112,838 times
Congrats All. I know brother-in-law is happy to hear the news. With gas prices the way they are you may see more manufacturing jobs coming your way.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:10 PM

With the Tennessee River as a backdrop, state and local leaders welcomed Volkswagen to Chattanooga.

In an hour-long news conference at the historic Hunter Museum elected officials took turns thanking VW for choosing Chattanooga and praising Hamilton County Mayor Claude Ramsey for his vision to transform the former Volunteer Army Ammunition Plant into an industrial megasite that would lure a major manufacturer.

Matt Kisber, the Tennessee Commissioner of Economic and Community Development opened the news conference. He said this is the most important event in his political tenure.

Kisber introduced Stefan Jacoby, the President and CEO of Volkswagen of America.
Applause broke out as Jacoby made the first public statement "Volkswagen of America is building it's next plant in Chattanooga."

Next he said, "Why?"

In answering his own question, he thanked the states of Michigan and Alabama for their interest.
"Something in our gut, or maybe in our heart... looking across the mountains and across the rivers, the intangible suddenly became very tangible. This is America at its best," said Jacoby.

He said with the new facility, they expect to triple their sales in the United States. He admitted that, like in a marriage, there will be good times and bad times in carrying out this aggressive plan.

Jacoby praised business and government leaders for "visionary leadership" that compliments that of Volkswagen. He specifically named Governer Bredesen, Senators Corker, Alexander, Congressman Wamp and Mayors Littlefield and Ramsey.

Jacoby ended by saying, "We are looking forward to a longterm partnership and marriage with Chattanooga and Tennessee."
Governer Bredesen then took the podium saying, "Danke schön" which mean "thank you" in German.

"They have their backs (to the audience) right now, but I wish you could see the smiles on Mayors Littlefield's and Ramsey's face right now," joked the Govorner as he praised their hard work.

The Governor said that the area "had a mission" and set about accomplishing that mission.

"I wish Washington would take note of what Chattanooga did," he added to another round of applause.

Hamilton County Mayor Ramsey took the podium saying, "They've given me two minutes tell you about 15 minutes of my life.... What a good day, what a good day," he said with emotion.

Mayor Ramsey's grandchildren were in the audience. He spoke of the drams he had for his grandchildren and thanked Jacoby "for making my dreams come true."

Mayor Littlefield said he told Jacoby that he had promised his wife a new Volkwagen if they decided to locate their plant here.
He said Mayor Ramsey suggested combining normally "highly-competitive" city and county workforces to prepare the Enterprise South site.
We're been through the rodeo before," said Senator Bob Corker. "I don't know of a greater event in this community in my lifetime."
"I'm happy for our citizens, our children and our grandchildren," said Sen. Corker. "But there is no one that I am happier for today than Claude Ramsey. I'm so glad this happened under his watch."

Senator Lamar Alexander said that with today's announcement, he expects Tennessee to become the number one state in the nation for automotive jobs.
Congressman Wamp joked how, among all the happy people, is Nelson Bowers, the owner of a local Volkswagen dealership.

Congressman Wamp said that for each of the 2,000 jobs created at the Volkswagen plant, we should expect an additional seven "support jobs."

"That's 14,000 jobs," he said. ""It was just a matter of time before a major auto manufacturer decided to locate at Enterprise South - and our time has arrived."

Old 07-15-2008, 02:43 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,876,612 times
Thumbs up Good News

Thanks T.D. for typing a lot of good news. For the last few days tv news kept reporting that ALA was the most recent favored site. OUtside all day at swim park. Thought radio was giving a favorable message, but was still commentary.
.. Five o'clock tv news soon.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:26 PM

849 posts, read 2,955,568 times
This truly is fantastic news for the city! I wish I were there to feel the excitement, it has to just be something. I feel for Huntsville and Detroit, I am sure they could have also used this positive news and the stimulation to their communities and economies. But someone had to be selected, and it is Chattanooga, so time to puff out the chest a little!

I haven't lived in the area throughout the tough times (well, ever for that matter ), but for those that have seen Chattanooga evolve into the beautiful city and destination it has become, ripe with so much potential, this has to be a proud moment!

Congrats to my future hometown!!

Old 07-15-2008, 05:07 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Chattanooga is a beautiful city, probably Tennessee's most beautiful big city. The Chattanooga-Cleveland area has also lost a couple thousand jobs the last year or two. I can certainly understand why VW chose Chattanooga, and I can definitely understand why people in Chattanooga are ecstatic about the new VW factory. It's going to be fun seeing this big huge factory go up in the next couple of years. And hopefully this means that places like East Ridge and Red Bank will come back to life after years of decline.

Go Chattanooga!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee