Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:33 PM

42 posts, read 163,632 times

Advertisements

Home owners insurance will run you around $1,200.00 a year, give or take a few dollars. gas an electric, depending on if your home is mostly electric or more gas then electric. You can always ask for the home owners recent utility bills, just to make sure.

Moderator cut: advertising not allowed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 10:53 PM

63 posts, read 184,210 times
If my Italian family can eat grits (yellow corn grits called POLENTA) then so can a Scot! They are yummy so many ways. White or Yellow, we love them with butter, cheese, bacon, and cracked pepper!

Old 05-29-2007, 11:13 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,439,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SClady View Post
The only way to eat grits is with butter and SUGAR, lots of sugar I prefer hashbrowns.
Sugar? Ick! No wonder you prefer hash browns. Use butter and SALT. And cook 'em 'til they're not crunchy, but not until they're totally mush (which is the way Cracker Barrel cooks them). If your mama can't cook 'em right, try a Waffle House. And they've got hash browns as a back up.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:04 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,383,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachnutt-26 View Post
There are Highland/Scottish festival in Grandfather Mountain, North Carolina once a year. It'a a big deal. Not sure of exact dates. Go to Google and try Scottish festival/Grandfather and see what comes up. Good luck.
I'm pretty sure that the Grandfather Mountain Scottish Games are the week of July 4.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:52 AM

3,964 posts, read 10,639,061 times
3,000-4,000 sq. ft. house will average 300-350/mo. in utilities, 500-525 if you have a pool. These are averages, so no hate mail please.

TNLove- What are you talking about? Hello, historic Franklin? The downtown area? The Square?! Leiper's Fork? Just my opinion.

Lastly, I'd imagine you're more likely to eat grits than I am to try haggis .
Welcome!

Last edited by akm4; 05-30-2007 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: typo- no coffee yet.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:38 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,791,433 times
I'd say that if you want to be in a region that has more to do with your Scottish heritage, you might consider East TN. Many of the natives, myself included came from Skotch-Irish ancestors who settled in the Appalachian South in the 1700's-1800's. Since the region was fairly cut off from outside influence, many of the customs were preserved. I'm not about to suggest that people would be shaking your hand as a long lost cousin or anything, but there are many music and arts festivals that celebrate the arts and culture of the Southern Appalachians. As mentioned, you'd probably find the traditional culture to be somewhat closer to your own. I went to many festivals that featured marching bagpipe bands.

As far as Franklin and Brentwood, these two towns near Nashville are the most expensive cities in the area. Many from out off state think they're getting a deal, but in reality they're paying 2 and 3 times the amount for a home that elsewhere in the city area would be perhaps half or even 1/3rd as much. So I would do a bit more careful research. This forum is a bit too Franklin happy and as a few have mentioned, their perception of Franklin was that it wasn't THAT different from some of the other smaller areas around it.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:20 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,330,416 times
I think Franklin is fine if you are coming from out of state, want cheaper than what you are use to, no state income tax and you want to have some transplants as neighbors.

That's going to suit some people.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:39 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,611,663 times
The original settlers to the region were far and away mostly scottish immigrants. Most of the current population has probably forgotten and much of the latest immigration is from California and other professional/technically inclined locals.

While it may not be apparent on the surface, once you make friends and get to talking you will find a lot of folks that will have much in common and many are interested in geneology and will have interest in their ancestors homeland to the point that you will have eager ears to know what modern scotland is like in hopes of better understanding their past.

A lot of my family came through that area in the mid to late 1700's and I still have a number of distant cousins a bit north of Nashville. Probably less than 50 miles from Franklin.

As to the economic questions you asked, I cannot give you a clear picture of the region other than as others have said, Franklin is a very high rent district compared to most of the surrounding area. Unless schools are a primary concern, you can probably do much better picking a rural or small town in the surrounding area to buy in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee