Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 11:58 PM

4 posts, read 6,864 times

Advertisements

Hello my husband and I are looking to relocate to the TN area from California and would like any information you can provide that will narrow down our search for the best city for us. We have a four year old daughter that is active in gymnastic, dance, and karate and would like to keep her in them. A good school system is very high priority for us. A low crim area is also high on our list. If you have any suggestions on areas and schools that I should look at that would be great. I would also like to hear what you like and dislike about your current location. California is just to city for us. My family is from AL but my mom moved my family to CA when I was four and I have been here since then and I am ready for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 06:15 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,520,245 times
Need to take a yellow legal pad and list all your " Real Needs" write down the whole family, then extend that out 2-5-10 years. And then start searching. Most Chamber of Commerce have web sites for their city /county and using a bogus e-mail address like Yahoo will allow you to filter what you will get,"You now can decide who and whom to contact. You will receive tons of "FREE INFORMATION" on that City / Town / County. This information has schools~house of work ship~and employers that belong to the local chamber including contractors. This information can help on your decisions..... Also if you use a major search engine you can use the City / Town / County for demographics.....

Old 11-13-2008, 06:38 AM

451 posts, read 1,371,829 times
Tinman has some great suggestions. What sort of employment are you looking for? That will narrow down your choices a lot also. When i first read your post, Tullahoma popped into my mind because it has all the good schools and opportunities for your daughter that you mentioned. It is a smallish town which is experiencing some growth. Might be worth looking at, anyway. Good luck with your search.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:59 AM

204 posts, read 876,488 times
Thankful and Blessed, there are many great towns in Tennessee. Here is Clarksville we have four great dance schools as well as gymnastics. The school system is outstanding as well.

Regards

Tim Cash

Old 11-15-2008, 12:26 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,494,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankful & Blessed View Post
Hello my husband and I are looking to relocate to the TN area from California and would like any information you can provide that will narrow down our search for the best city for us. We have a four year old daughter that is active in gymnastic, dance, and karate and would like to keep her in them. A good school system is very high priority for us. A low crim area is also high on our list. If you have any suggestions on areas and schools that I should look at that would be great. I would also like to hear what you like and dislike about your current location. California is just to city for us. My family is from AL but my mom moved my family to CA when I was four and I have been here since then and I am ready for a change.
At the bottom of my post, in my signature line, there is a link to the City Data home page. Click on that link to see a list of cities. You can narrow your search there and then come back here and ask us specifics. Let us know how we can help. Thanks!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:11 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,700,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thankful & Blessed View Post
Hi Thankful & Blessed,

My wife and I also live in California (Sacramento suburb) and we also want to move to Tennessee (when we retire). We have already purchased a 4 acre lot on which we will build our retirement home in a development called Cumberland Cove, near Monterey, TN. The town of Monterey is off of Interstate 40 between Cookeville (around 30,000 people) and Crossville (around 10,000 people). JMT, one of our forum members who posts regularly, says that Cookeville has excellent schools. The city of Cookeville also offers all of the goods and services you could ever want or need. Cookeville has a fairly large hospital (Cookeville Regional Medical Center). Perhaps JMT or someone else can provide you with more information on the schools in this area and whether gymnastics, dance, and karate would be possible for your daughter in this area. I've done an overall cost of living comparison between my Sacramento suburb and Cookeville, TN and found that the cost of living in Cookeville is around 35% less than it is where I now live. What a difference! When my wife and I retire, we will do most of our shopping in Cookeville. Tennessee Technological University is also in Cookeville. I hope this helps.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:11 AM

630 posts, read 2,432,215 times
Once you've done your internet research, and or library research, contacted the chambers of commerce, received info about the city, and narrowed down your search, a visit to the area would be the next step.

Otherwise, you may decide on a place, pack your stuff up, and move there only to find out that you hate it.
So, if it's in your budget or in any way feasible, a trip to the area would show you whether or not this will be where you will want to move.

There is so much information available now online, and there are also people on this forum who may be able to help you in your search. You can also Google for pictures of an area, and if there are any pictures online, you may be able to see what a particular area looks like.
Do a search for pictures in this forum also. There are a lot of really great towns with pictures already posted.

Good Luck, and let us know when you move to Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee