Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 09:44 PM

115 posts, read 596,140 times

Advertisements

I have been researching homes and the lifestyle in Tellico Village. Looks great to me.... a very active community. Any input?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 05:02 AM

I can't believe it...... not a single response? I was expecting more from this site.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:59 AM

86 posts, read 414,437 times
Although I don't live in Tellico Village, my friend did and it was beautiful. Their home was pricey, but it was very nice and the lake view was terrific. That's about all the input I can give you.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:44 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Sorry, I don't know about Tellico either, however if you use the search option at the top bar of the TN forum page, and search for Tellico, there are several threads a few pages back with lots of info about that area.
Hope that helps.

Old 03-05-2007, 08:49 AM

mbmouse .... Thanks for the response. I did search and found many comments.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 18,700 times
Default Quick summary

Having been raised on the northshore of Chicago, lived a while in Denver and 30 some years in West Knoxville, we truly enjoy Tellico Village. It is a mix of couples (almost no families with live-in children) from mainly the northeast, midwest and California. We live in a lakeview home and most of our neighbors are well educated, young retirees who did well in the real estate market with their previous homes and reinvested in the Village with considerable upgrades in lifestyle and homes. It is an active community before 9PM (we laughingly call that midnight in the Village) with numerous clubs and activity groups. The facilities are superb including three golf courses, a megamillion recreation and fitness center, yacht club, boat slips, three restaurants, and a few small shops for basic necessities. It's a pretty good hike (about 11 miles) into the nearest town with full services, WalMart etc. You'll probably want to invest in a large freezer

Property taxes are very low. We do not pay city or county taxes, and there is not an income tax in TN (however there is an investment tax on dividends and interest) and you will get hit for a monthly assessment to cover common properties, private road upkeep and contribute to the operation of Village ammenities. (The golf courses are underutilized and require some property owner funding in addition to greens fees.)

Overall, the financial condition of the Property Owners Association is reasonably solid. They have some retained earnings built up and seem to be anticipating changing financial conditions well, looking ahead to when there will be fewer new home building starts and a great demand for ammenities.

Basically, it's a really good deal. We've been in the Village two years and consider this a very smart move. Property and home values are increasing continuously. There are building lots being offered by Cooper and National Recreational Properties that are overpriced, but there are still some good values available from private lot owners who invested in property but have not built homes. If you visit and find TV attractive, I'd suggest running a "building lot wanted" ad in the Knoxville News-Sentinel and see if someone responds. Vacant lots carry a full monthly assessment.

Beware of interior lots without a view of golf course or lake. Recently, most remaining lots in Cooper's inventory (the original developer) were sold as a package to NRP and they quickly jumped from $4k - $5k to well over $15,000 minimum.

I think the Village is ideal, and my wife and I have our own interests, chose not to participate in group activities, and make our own entertainment using the waterway. We are among the rare few who are not golfers.

Knoxville is not far away, ditto for the Smoky Mountains, and the cultural offering in the metro area are surprisingly diverse with the University of Tennessee and Oak Ridge National Labs contributing to the mix.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:14 PM

9 posts, read 39,946 times
My husband and I have looked at Tellico Village. Everything looks great, but is there anything we're missing? Want to make sure it's not too good to be true. We want to be able to enjoy the lake and warmer climate that here in OH. Does the summer get unbearable? How are the average temps in January and February? Also, what about the sales tax rates in TN - they seem high, but do you really notice any extra cost or are products cheaper than up North? Would appreciate input from anyone living there! Thanks!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:23 AM

3 posts, read 31,067 times
Default Tellico Village HOA fees

What are the monthly homeowner association fees at Tellico Village and what is the history of special assessments over and above these fees? What services do the fees cover?

Old 06-25-2007, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 19,505 times
I have lived in Tellico Village for 3 years. We are originally from New York, lived in Va. Beach for 12 years, Dallas for 1 year and South Florida for 14 years. The move here was a job transfer for my husband. Tellico Village is very nice.

We decided on the Village because of its beauty and serenity. We live on one of the golf courses. We are still of working age so we don't have a lot of time to partake of all the activities here. But let me tell you there is more to do than you can. This is an incredibly active community. The residents are great. The cost of living is wonderful and the drive into Knoxville is not a problem - I do it 5 days a week. UT sports rule the area. Having always been avid NCAA basketball fans we are season ticket holders to the men's team - it is great. The shopping could be better, but I'm from NYC so I got used to the best.

It is a great place to live and what you see is what you get.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:15 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Thanks Jeannie for your input. My Hubby and I are looking very seriously at Telico Village. We are flying out in August to see some of the area and we are spending 2 nights at a patio home in the village. We are really looking forward to seeing it for ourselves, it sounds like the place for us. We are going to retire in about 2 years and then we hope to buy our place there, probably a re-sale home. Since we will be early retirees, we are looking for a place with lots of active sports, boating, etc. and we are hoping that the lifestyle there will fill the bill. Have you had any difficulty meeting new friends there? What shops are in the village or within a couple of miles? We live in a rural area now and are used to having to travel 20 minutes to do serious shopping other than the basics.
Here's a weird question....what was the biggest surprise you ahd when you moved to Tellico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville