Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:50 PM

12 posts, read 139,028 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I need some advice as what to do about my situation. I'm having a new home built which is scheduled to be completed sometime in February 2009. Here is the situation. The house is at the stage where the frame is up, roof, shingles (except bay window, porch), brick, insulation, and drywall are all up. A few days ago, it rained pretty heavily and the bay window did not have any shingles over the roof so it leaked. The door was also open so the entire OSB flooring was soaked. I believe the framing, insulation, and inside of the drywall got wet also because we noticed water dripping out where the light fixture should be near the bay window. From looking at it a few days afterward, I can't tell whether there is any damage. The drywall looks normal, but I can see a little water ring around where the light fixture will be. Is this something to be concerned about. My thought is that I could potentially have mold growing inside but I can't tell because it's all covered up with drywall. I'm planning on talking to the superintendent but I have a feeling that they will just give me some excuse not to replace it. What do you guys think?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 02:39 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,000,972 times
Sounds like it's pretty obvious that the insulation got wet in that area. I don't think there's any question that the drywall and insulation should be removed, that area allowed to dry, and new insulation and drywall installed. The OSB may be OK...but check it for any signs of separation or warping. The framing will dry out just fine.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:23 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,525,886 times
I would be afraid of any moisture on anything unprotectedwshich could cause mold and mildew problems....very unhelathy. Make sure the builder takes care of all moisture problems.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:52 AM

85 posts, read 285,051 times
Call the building inspector for the county/city and ask their advice. Maybe they can come out and put a fire under them to replace the insulation and drywall. Paperback drywall has been found to breed mold due to paper being food for the mold, therefore you need to address this issue thoroughly. At the very least demand that the builder pay for a VERY experienced home inspector (one that you choose, that specializes in mold and has a great reputation) to inspect the home PRIOR to accepting the final product from the builder (you should do this with or without the mold issue). There is very sophisticated equipment out there that can detect mold. If they won't pay, then hire one yourself. Also, demand a clause in the warranty that any mold issues in "X" amount of years will be covered for full cost by the builder. With the housing market they way it is, the builder should be more than willing to make good on this; however if they aren't willing to back up their product or make the proper repairs, then legal action may be necessary and I would suggest you research your legal options now so that you know what course of action you may have to take as a last resort.

Last edited by LovnTN; 12-30-2008 at 10:08 AM..

Old 12-30-2008, 10:08 AM

Thank you everyone for the valuable information. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good home inspector that specializes in mold and new construction?
Thanks.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:25 AM

85 posts, read 285,051 times
I don't know of an inspector, however here is a good link to the American Society of Home Inspectors to start your search.

http://http://www.ashi.org/ (http://http//www.ashi.org/ - broken link)

Old 12-30-2008, 10:31 AM

1,292 posts, read 5,000,972 times
The problem is that there may not be mold there NOW, but if they leave wet insulation in the wall mold will develop in the near future. There's a reason why builders don't insulate and close walls until the structure is weatherproof. Your builder tried to shortcut that simply so the insulation and drywall subs wouldn't have to come out a second time. No excuse for that...

Old 12-30-2008, 10:48 AM

24 posts, read 93,700 times
Express your concerns to the builder and he should remedy the situation while it's still cheap to do so.

I can't understand anyone choosing a builder they wouldn't be comfortable with in adressing a problem like this.

Try not to involve those other clowns, it's just not something they should be involved with unless the builder refuses to help you.

Signed,

35 years in the business with no complaints.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:06 PM

I have expressed my concern to the builder and he is going to take care of it. I have also called the county building inspector and they will inspect it for damages tomorrow.
Thank you everyone.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Good to hear it. As someone who now lives in hurricane territory, I can tell you that if drywall gets wet, there's about a 90% chance that it will mold on you in a very ugly way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee