Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 03:44 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,604 times

Advertisements

When you mean HOI, do you mean insurance? I didn't mean to say that the insurance in Florida will go down. I wouldn't expect it to. But home prices are dropping like a rock there. FL was one of the most heavily invested states during the boom. There are literally entire planned communities out in the middle of nowhere that sit empty. At the same time, FL really doesn't have much of an economy. Now that the boom is over, I'd expect less people coming from FL simply because the pressures ( high home prices) that caused them to move will be somewhat alleviated.

Anyone that wants to read about Florida's situation should check out this site:

http://thehousingbubbleblog.com/

make sure and look at the hbb pics too. Lots of Florida bubble homes. Perhaps one of the most important real estate sites out there.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:51 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Great point.

It looks like all the people building up on Hawk's Bluff are from the southEAST part of Florida. Apparently, there is some guy named Rocco, based out of Miami, or somewhere close by, that is selling to these folks. I have no idea what advertising ploy he is using.

There's a huge thread on here about how Hawk's Bluff is such a great place to live. They are all so happy. Well, except for the woman on that thread that is mortified that there is a trailer at the bottom of the mountain where someone lives with tires on their roof. I just wanted to strangle that pompous woman. Then she said that she was going to go over to those people and offer to fix their roof. You have to love it! I wonder how long she can run in those high heels while they use her for target practice?

The night before we moved out of Florida, we were sitting up. Neither one of us could sleep. I guess we were pretty terrified. The Erik Estrada infomercial came on. We couldn't stop laughing. I guess we were hysterical. We should have taken it as an omen.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:22 PM

710 posts, read 1,960,878 times
We were so fortunate to sell our Florida home in November of 2005. We traveled back there to visit friends in January and they told us that the market just absolutely tanked in our old area in January 2006. Houses are just sitting now. Between that and the apparently astronomical increase in homeowners insurance, I feel like we got out of there just in time. I truly do not miss it even when things have not always been sunshine and roses up here!

Old 03-13-2007, 08:54 PM

390 posts, read 1,701,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Great point.

It looks like all the people building up on Hawk's Bluff are from the southEAST part of Florida. Apparently, there is some guy named Rocco, based out of Miami, or somewhere close by, that is selling to these folks. I have no idea what advertising ploy he is using.

There's a huge thread on here about how Hawk's Bluff is such a great place to live. They are all so happy. Well, except for the woman on that thread that is mortified that there is a trailer at the bottom of the mountain where someone lives with tires on their roof. I just wanted to strangle that pompous woman. Then she said that she was going to go over to those people and offer to fix their roof. You have to love it! I wonder how long she can run in those high heels while they use her for target practice?

The night before we moved out of Florida, we were sitting up. Neither one of us could sleep. I guess we were pretty terrified. The Erik Estrada infomercial came on. We couldn't stop laughing. I guess we were hysterical. We should have taken it as an omen.
We were laughing this weekend, because our Sunday Sun-Sentinel here in Broward County (SE FL) came with a sticker on the front page advertising Hawk's Bluff....We never really noticed advertising until we started checking out this site...Then all of a sudden we see it more. I only see ads for Hawks Bluff and Tellico Village here.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:02 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Fascinating, but it's not just TN. I live on a horseshoe with about fifty houses. I think maybe there are 5 families from here. Everyone else is from somewhere else.

This entire area is that way, mainly because of the huge (#2 in the world - or is it #1 now - not sure) insurance presence, and Wells Fargo.

We do live in a mobile society. For the most part it's a good thing, but some areas are "over lived" for one reason or another. I sincerely hope TN stays TN, even with all of us coming to your state (yeah, me too in a few).

Old 03-13-2007, 09:10 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm sure market research tells businesses where to target their advertising. I keep reading about all of these Floridians that see Eric Estrada hawking Tellico Village, I think. I have never seen Eric Estrada in any ad/commercial. I don't even know where Tellico Village is located in TN.
We are actually planning on taking ol' Eric up on his offer. We'll spend the weekend at Tellico, get dropped off at the airport, and rent a car to look over the rest of the area around Knoxville. I don't mind them paying part of my airfare and lodging. Heck, why not? I'm coming down anyway to look.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:10 AM

37,796 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Great point.

See, this is what I mean. For everything I have read about Tennessee in retirement magazines and for all of the retirement things that come to me in the mail or in e-mail, the only time I have seen the words "Hawks Bluff" is here in this forum. And it's not like I wasn't looking at Tennessee, either, and dropping my name and address and e-mail address in places so I would get info before I made up my mind. Now, western North Carolina, that's another story. Got plenty of stuff from them and think I may have even seen TV ads.

Plus, I'm a news junkie. I probably watch at least 3 hours of cable news a day and listen to talk radio in the car. Cable news tends to have an older audience so you would think I would have seen the Estrada and Hawks Bluff come ons aimed at retirees, but no. I have to presume that Marylanders are not the Tellico Village/Hawks Bluff target audience. I do get a lot of stuff from Del Webb (e-mail and snail mail) and Crossville, TN (I give Crossville an A+ for effort even though I'm not moving there).

There are no billboards in the town or adjacent towns where I live now or on my daily commute route and if they are advertising on the sides of a bus or in the subway, I drive everywhere and wouldn't see those.

But this is why I think we see Floridians in large numbers in 3 counties but not in the same counties where we see large amounts of people from the midwest. Different new communities are targeting different parts of the country for their come on.

Old 03-15-2007, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,698 times
hello, just wanted to tell my story. I am originally from LI, NY. Moved to FL when I was 19 because my parents sold their house and built a new house for cash, like some have mentioned. I lived in FL and loved the beaches etc. I am now married with 2 kids. I absolutely HATE what happened to FL and yes my parents are to blame too! Florida was a great place to retire because living was affordable for the retired folks. Florida is no longer a place where young families or retired folks can live. I am a stay at home mom and my husband works in law enforcement. Our mortgage payment spiked $500 because of taxes going out of control and home owners insurance. I understand that you pay for living in paradise. To me it was not worth it to pay State Farm and the County of Brevard when I didn't have to. Also the schools were becoming so overcrowded and they are building portables every where. Plus they were recruiting many teachers from places like Puerto Rico to teach in our schools because no one wants those jobs if the salary is so low. I have nothing against anyone, But I have a choice and I did not want my child being taught by someone who has a heavy accent when they do speak English, again nothing personal here against anyone. When English is becoming a 2nd language, I have a problem with that. A friend of mine moved from Naples, Fl which used to be a ritzy place to live, to TN because her child was one of approximately 123 kids out of about 800 where English was their first language. Because of that, her daughter was so far behind in her classes. The teachers had no choice but to make sure every child, even those where Spanish is their first language, understand everything she was teaching. By slowing down like that, it causes everyone to be behind. There would have had to be special classes for English as a first language instead of classes for Spanish as a first language. I did not want that for my 2 kids and that is when we decided to move. A friend of mine in Miramar, Fl is having the same problems with the schools where her daughter attends. When we sold our home, we had nothing but people from Miami and the surrounding areas looking at our house and moving up the coast of FL. I moved to Brevard county because I did not want to live in Miami, well eventually it will be. We actually looked at Money Magazine's top 100 places to live. We wanted an area that has a good climate ( I hated FL summers), A place that had jobs available for my husband and a great family friendly area. I am by no means bashing anyone who is of Hispanic or Spanish decent, I am only giving my personal story as to why we moved and what happened in our area schools. I do have to say though, Schools are what you make of them. If parents are going to help their kids learn then any school is good. A school is not the only source of learning. It starts at home. I happen to have a college degree, but that doesn't mean I will remember everything my children will learn. I will make an effort to learn those things again to help my children better understand what they have been taught in school. It is a family effort, not just a school effort . And I do not wish that my area of Murfreesboro, TN change one bit nor do I want to change it one bit. I love everything about it and I hope no one else finds this great place and moves here ( I don't want the secret getting out because I love it here

Old 03-15-2007, 06:20 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
FLTOTN, I TOTALLY understand where you are coming form! I too moved up to TN. I made the decision to move out of Fl within the first month of my son being in kindergarten. I KNOW they are getting a great education here.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:39 PM

166 posts, read 986,326 times
I can't stand Miami. I live near Boca Raton and the thought of going to Miami greatly disturbs me. Let's face it we have a huge problem with illegal aliens. They can't speak English if their life depended on it.

How would you feel living in an area where you can't communicate with the locals? I have tried I dunno how many times going to Miami and hardly anybody understands English. I hate it there. I go out of my way to make sure I don't go there often.

My husband insists that we attend a church there. I understand how he feels so I go with him. I love to go to church, but I really wish the location was different. I remember the last time I went we stopped off at Starbucks only to find the local community staring at me in my Corvette. They looked at the car as if it was a space ship from outer space while looking at me as if I was alien. I was extremely uncomfortable.

LOL. I remember communicating with a person on a message board that immigrated from South America to Miami. He considered himself as American as apple pie. He said he came to this country ten years ago, worked hard and is now finishing his masters degree. I read all the material he wrote on that message board. Look, I only had one semester of college. However, if he really says he is finishing his masters degree, South Florida is managing to produce college graduates that can't write on a collegiate level.

True, English was always my best subject (I'm also a self-taught music journalist). However, after almost six years of college I would assume this man would be able to compose his sentences on a professional level. I read and reread what he wrote; I could compose sentences better before I graduated High School.

If this guy applies for a teaching job down here we are going to have a serious problem. I should get a job teaching an English class. Even, I think I would do a better job - considering I actually grew up learning this language!

What is going on in South Florida? It never used to be this way. I can't wait to move. If you lived here would you want your kids to grow up in a community where many people are not literate? I love to write, and I have written articles that have been syndicated, too. It really bothers me to see this.

I have a friend that wanted to move to Miami. She told me that it would not be possible for her to work down there. I asked her why? She told me she is not bilingual. Most every job she applied for required her to speak both English and Spanish. Basically, they should have just told her that it doesn't matter if you speak English, what we need are Spanish speaking employees. They are taking away good jobs from English speaking American citizens.

When I grew up I had English teachers. They taught us English, and I easily understood all the work. I got A's almost all the time in English. That's why I took as many English classes as I could. Now kids have teachers that can't speak much English.

That's what has happened here. I can totally understand why Floridians want to move to Tennessee. I am going to sell my house and move up there.

Last edited by Angelrocks; 03-15-2007 at 10:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee