Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 08:09 AM

80 posts, read 258,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Nope, Cookeville has the newer and larger hospital. Its new $80 million addition was just completed last month about the same time as the magnificent new nursing school at Tennessee Tech. Crossville does have a large hospital for a town its size, but it's still smaller than Cookeville's.

Cookeville is closer to big lakes than Crossville. It's closer to a major airport (Nashville), has more restaurants, shopping, recitals, concerts, art galleries, libraries, museums, and sporting events than Crossville. Cookeville's schools are better rated and better funded. Cookeville has two symphonies, Crossville has zero.

But Crossville does have more golf courses and shuffleboard than Cookeville, and higher unemployment rates.
All they did was add more beds. That small addition doesn't make the hospital newer. I bet somewhere around 50% of CMC has been built in the last twenty years. The latest addition was finished up just a few years ago, however. Personally, I've had the displeasure of going to both hospitals, and absolutely hate them both, but at least CMC is clean when you walk in, and you're not treated like just another number.

Also, Crossville is closer to a major airport. McGhee Tyson Airport.

Crossville also has the Cumberland County Playhouse, live theater, which does have it's own orchestra, and is also a stop for many other orchestras as well as an array of many other live performances. Seusical is playing there now, which is awesome by the way.

Unlike Cookeville, Crossville does have it's own lakes and beaches, and is way more accommodating than Cookeville when it comes to outdoor activities. If you want to find a major lake, you have to go north. Way north.

To anyone else thinking about moving to the area, I would suggest you look into Roane Medical Center for hospital needs. Better doctors, better staff, better hospital. Not a big hospital, but a better hospital in my experience. Go there as long as they are physically able to care for your needs. If you need a slightly taller hospital for some reason, go to CRMC. Something in between, go to CMC.

Last edited by mbmouse; 03-24-2009 at 07:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 09:50 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychop1 View Post
All they did was add more beds. That small addition doesn't make the hospital newer. I bet somewhere around 50% of CMC has been built in the last twenty years. The latest addition was finished up just a few years ago, however. Personally, I've had the displeasure of going to both hospitals, and absolutely hate them both, but at least CMC is clean when you walk in, and you're not treated like just another number.

Also, Crossville is closer to a major airport. McGhee Tyson Airport.

Crossville also has the Cumberland County Playhouse, live theater, which does have it's own orchestra, and is also a stop for many other orchestras as well as an array of many other live performances. Seusical is playing there now, which is awesome by the way.

Unlike Cookeville, Crossville does have it's own lakes and beaches, and is way more accommodating than Cookeville when it comes to outdoor activities. If you want to find a major lake, you have to go north. Way north.
McGhee Tyson is a major airport? You can't be serious. It's about 1/6 the size of Nashville's airport and has much higher air fares with very few non-stop destinations.

Easily over 50% of Cookeville's hospital has been built in the last 20 years. The latest expansion was the 3rd in the last 20 years.

Cumberland County Playhouse is very, very nice. I've performed in it. But Cookeville is no slouch when it comes to live theater, either. Cookeville has Tennessee Tech's very active theater department as well as the Wesley Arena, the Children's Theatre, Drama Center Stages, and Backstage Playhouse which has won awards from the Tennessee Theatre Association, the Southeast Theatre Conference and the American Association of Community Theatres.

Center Hill Lake is a major lake and is less than 15 minutes from Cookeville. It's got beaches, campgrounds, marinas, and floating restaurants. Cordell Hull Lake, another large COE lake, is in adjacent Jackson County just NW of Cookeville. You must be talking about Dale Hollow Lake which is north of Cookevile. There are two lakes within Cookeville's city limits, both of which have parks, nature trails, and one of them also has paddleboats and frisbee golf. I don't know what outdoor activities you can do in Crossville that you can't do in Cookeville. Besides shuffleboard.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
McGhee Tyson is a major airport? You can't be serious. It's about 1/6 the size of Nashville's airport and has much higher air fares with very few non-stop destinations.

Easily over 50% of Cookeville's hospital has been built in the last 20 years. The latest expansion was the 3rd in the last 20 years.

Cumberland County Playhouse is very, very nice. I've performed in it. But Cookeville is no slouch when it comes to live theater, either. Cookeville has Tennessee Tech's very active theater department as well as the Wesley Arena, the Children's Theatre, Drama Center Stages, and Backstage Playhouse which has won awards from the Tennessee Theatre Association, the Southeast Theatre Conference and the American Association of Community Theatres.

Center Hill Lake is a major lake and is less than 15 minutes from Cookeville. It's got beaches, campgrounds, marinas, and floating restaurants. Cordell Hull Lake, another large COE lake, is in adjacent Jackson County just NW of Cookeville. You must be talking about Dale Hollow Lake which is north of Cookevile. There are two lakes within Cookeville's city limits, both of which have parks, nature trails, and one of them also has paddleboats and frisbee golf. I don't know what outdoor activities you can do in Crossville that you can't do in Cookeville. Besides shuffleboard.
I'm not talking about Dale Hollow lake, I'm talking about Lake Michigan. Way north. That's a major lake.

Meadow Park Lake
Lake Holiday
Lake Tansi
St. George as well as several other lakes in FFG

ALL in Cumberland County.

Putnam County???

Nothing. You can't live on or near a lake in Cookeville. This is one of the biggest reasons that people that do prefer Crossville over Cookeville live here. That and the property taxes, less congestion, and industry. Almost forgot, golf and shuffleboard.

Cumberland County playhouse is a professional theatre. Big difference between kids taking drama in school, and professional actors that are paid to perform, not to mention the professional musicians, orchestras, and comedy acts that grace the Cumberland County playhouse as well as the Palace Theater - another well kept secret here.

The biggest thing I do like about Cookeville is what they invest in their Independence Day celebration. I really wanted to see their big show a couple years ago, but didn't get to go. We have three different shows here, but none of them have ever invested $1 million into fireworks alone.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:01 PM

275 posts, read 1,125,377 times
one thing about this area, I haven't seem many roachs, my guess is the spiders ate them!
- I also get mad cows, well not mad, just roaming cows in the yard. no big deal. I kinda like them.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:33 AM

710 posts, read 1,961,790 times
Just a heads-up about CRMC and CMC, and it's important. CMC is a feeder hospital for CRMC. That's just the way it is. There are not many, if any, instances where CRMC would be transferring a seriously or critically ill patient to Crossville. CRMC has much better, and more, accredited facilities. That's just simply a fact. It doesn't make the Crossville hospital a bad place. But if you have a critically ill patient or need a level of treatment that does not reach the "tertiary care center" level and thus, a transport to Nashville and Vanderbilt, advice that the Crossville Hospital has better facilities than CRMC could actually affect a patient outcome. The new expansion also did not just "add more beds." It tripled the size and services of the Cancer Center, for one thing. CRMC also recently acquired the Davinci Robot, which it uses in many different kinds of surgery now.

I can personally attest to the quality of the new patient tower at CRMC. My daughter was just released from CRMC yesterday morning, having had a complicated ankle surgery that required an overnight stay. It was--no kidding--like a hotel room. I was amazed.

None of this is to diss the facility in Crossville. But it just simply is incorrect that the two facilities are even comparable.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:01 AM

Likewise, I've never known anyone critically ill or injured transferred to CRMC from Crossville. Everyone I have ever known that had to be transferred was transferred to Erlanger or UT, but most of them to Erlanger. CMC's rooms are the same way. The hospitals (CRMC and CMC) are comparable in many ways, but neither of them make the grade in my opinion. In my opinion, the best hospital in the immediate area is RMC in Harriman.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:46 PM

710 posts, read 1,961,790 times
CRMC is a "regional referral center." They absolutely get hundreds (probably thousands) of transfers from other local hospitals each year. Erlanger is where trauma cases are sent (from CRMC, too). It would not be where a "heart attack" patient would be sent from this immediate local area. Those would generally go to CRMC once stable enough to transfer. I'm sure that's not always the case, but there's a pretty well-developed "acute coronary syndrome" program at CRMC with protocols 100% in place and fully staffed to back it up. I believe the same goes for strokes, but I'm not completely sure about that. I am not familiar with RMC, so I won't offer an opinion on that, but comparing CMC and CRMC as if they are apple to apple is just not accurate. Again, that's not a diss on CMC at all. CRMC just has far more extensive facilities.

I'm only belaboring this point on the small chance that somebody reads this and later someone in his or her family needs the kind of urgent critical care that CRMC can provide better than CMC just by virtue of its programs and facilities. It is important to understand that CRMC truly is a regional referral hospital, so all other things being equal (assuming equidistance between the two), CRMC is definitely where you would need to go if you needed urgent critical care, particularly along the lines of a heart attack/coronary event.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Cookeville has about triple the population of Crossville, yet Crossville's crime index is almost twice as much.

Crossville has a lot of out-of-state retirees that rub elbows with the natives at the local Walmart and sometimes end up rubbing each other the wrong way. I've talked to several of the newly retired and all have second-guessed their move. Out in the middle-of-nowhere seems to be the major complaint.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:33 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Cookeville has about triple the population of Crossville, yet Crossville's crime index is almost twice as much.

Crossville has a lot of out-of-state retirees that rub elbows with the natives at the local Walmart and sometimes end up rubbing each other the wrong way. I've talked to several of the newly retired and all have second-guessed their move. Out in the middle-of-nowhere seems to be the major complaint.
Gotta love that research. But hey, the property is cheap!
(no, not talking about any particular city/town.)

Old 03-28-2009, 09:12 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
It's one of our inside jokes.

We have a member who is originally from New Jersey and once asked us how dangerous the cows in the field were.

We all had a lot of fun with it, including the member from NJ. I told her that the cows sometimes hid in trees and jumped out at unsuspecting people. ;-)
OMG! ROFLMAO

At least, people in TN have a sense of humor! Well, there's at least one person who has one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee