Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:31 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,008,208 times

Advertisements

Thanks MB,

I didn't find anything on the indeed site, I'll check out the others you sent me.

I wish I could get my wife to "do something" with her bachelors degree, she has her RN degree but never could pass her state boards, and it's been so long (20 + years) since she graduated she's too far gone. But I say she can still do something more than be a cashier, she has no drive and no ambition. She just wants to go to work, do her thing and leave.

I need a career to get a life :-) I'm almost sick of just hanging around the house, I never leave the house these days.....getting clasutrophobic.

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 11:00 PM
kar

179 posts, read 754,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
YES. We have got to get out of here. I have a bit of time that I will be getting off and I think that we need to do that. I bet I can put in for a transfer and my husband can work anywhere.

Too bad that the valuable information that I conveyed got lost in the shuffle. It will be understood directly, I am sure.
Hi hiknapster,

I sent you a private message.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Tony, go to MSHA.com and Welmont.com,
MB,

I went there and applied for everything from janitor to administrator, trouble is I qualify for them all. That's what is both great and a hindrance with the military experience, I've done most everything while in the service, but most of it doesn't have a little piece of paper issued by the state saying certified. That's why I said that I don't know how much I would qualify for in the "real" world.

But I'm trying none the less, and thanks again for the links.

Tony

Old 03-27-2007, 05:17 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Thanks MB,

I didn't find anything on the indeed site, I'll check out the others you sent me.

I wish I could get my wife to "do something" with her bachelors degree, she has her RN degree but never could pass her state boards, and it's been so long (20 + years) since she graduated she's too far gone. But I say she can still do something more than be a cashier, she has no drive and no ambition. She just wants to go to work, do her thing and leave.

I need a career to get a life :-) I'm almost sick of just hanging around the house, I never leave the house these days.....getting clasutrophobic.

Tony
She could probably get into medical transcribing at home since she has the medical background terminology already. I have a Medical Assistant degree and did just fine starting up. Gee if i were closer, i'd probably be able to get her a job with me. We're always looking for good help and someone with medical background.

I know what you mean about being claustrophobic. one of the problems i have working at home. these 4 walls close in on me sometimes too.

When i was up in TN, truck drivers are in Demand everywhere. Not sure if they are cross country or not but there's plenty of need for them. anything in excavating or truck driving for them too seemed like a big thing up there. I'm sure any medical background you have you can find a job at a hospital doing something. Hope something comes your way.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:45 AM

109 posts, read 359,542 times
Quote:
That is a really tough question. I lived in a very expensive area of Florida. I think some of the food is cheaper. The electricity is cheaper.

BUT, there are several factors involved here that would not relate to your situation.

First of all, I lived near ALL my in-laws. The second we hit the Tennessee border, we had more money in our pockets. It wasn't much, but it was still there. My husband would get paid on Fridays in Florida, and by Monday we were dead broke.

The other problem is, because we struggled for so long, we were not able to save up for a house. Now, it looks like it is too late. And the sup-prime market just went belly up, so we will need a huge down payment. With rents rising to Florida levels, how can we ever achieve this? We will remain renters or move on.

Then there is the factor that you will probably not be able to relate to. I wanted to live among southerners with their values. I am rapidly finding myself living amongst Floridians, Californians and, gasp, Midwesterners. Not my original plan.

If I wanted that I could have stayed in Florida, where real estate agents are willing to wheel and deal.
Hello hiknapster,
I have been away from these threads for a while, but I try to catch up as much as I can since I am desperate to move to Knoxville, TN. I know what you mean and I so relate to you...My expenses in the Kendall area have skyrocketed these past few months...I bought a town home 2 years ago and paid $157,000 and paid $150 for home association...Today, I am paying $309.00 for just home association, and let's not even talk about how much home real estate taxes have gone up. Not only that, but car insurance, digital cable, cell phone, electricity and other cost are high as well. AND, just going out to Miami Beach, to bars, clubs, etc...will eat your money up!!! I feel that Miami is now home of the RICH! I make enough to live, but with everything going up I am SOOOO BROKE NOW....I live paycheck to paycheck and sometimes that's not even enough! Salaries are the same and everything is going up? Why? What is going on? I really like Miami as a city, but the high cost of everything and the overpopulation is kicking me out! I can't even form a family cause I cannot afford it! I think this is only going to get worse, so I am going to sell my home and get the hell out!
I am hoping that once I move from Miami, I will be able to breathe a little more and enjoy life instead of always worrying about bills, bills and more bills....I am hopefull that I will find tranquility in Knoxville or Maryville???

Old 03-27-2007, 09:38 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,839 times
I'm just hoping to get there and bring my family with me and that we are all "Happy". It's been along time since I've been happy per se, but who knows, maybe this will be the ticket. But removing the stress of living in a higher cost area can't hurt, unless I can't earn enough of a living to do well or at least survive comfortably.

Well said Tony. I know exactly where you're coming from. I've been angry over the housing situation in CA for years now. All I can think about when walking to the store past the rows of little 1930's bungalows in my neighborhood selling in excess of 600k is that I can't afford ANY of them. Not in this neighborhood, and not in any others around me. Of course I could take out an IO loan or something and just scrape by, but then again, why even bother when one type of stress would be replaced with another? It is really frustrating when you've climbed the job ladder and even doing pretty well and realize that you can't keep up with the skyrocketing cost of living.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:10 PM

166 posts, read 986,605 times
I have a good question. How much does a personal fitness trainer make at the exclusive country clubs in Brentwood and Franklin?

Do you think a personal fitness trainer in the Brentwood area gets at least 50 to 75 an hr? Most private trainers in S. Florida can easily charge that.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:24 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Thumbs up hiknapster~~

Quote:
YES. We have got to get out of here. I have a bit of time that I will be getting off and I think that we need to do that. I bet I can put in for a transfer and my husband can work anywhere.

Too bad that the valuable information that I conveyed got lost in the shuffle. It will be understood directly, I am sure.
~

I empathize---you may be seeing alot more development there (I am 2 hours east) FWIW I understand. We had some luck and equity- but we are not staying. feel free to PM me if you like. I am a friend.

sincerely,
sunny

Old 03-27-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
~

I empathize---you may be seeing alot more development there (I am 2 hours east) FWIW I understand. We had some luck and equity- but we are not staying. feel free to PM me if you like. I am a friend.

sincerely,
sunny
Sunny,

You went from the Northeast to FL to TN, now where are you going to go? Why are you leaving? Is it too expensive in the part of TN you are in? Any advice to give?

Tony

Old 03-27-2007, 09:19 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Post its just different-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Sunny,

You went from the Northeast to FL to TN, now where are you going to go? Why are you leaving? Is it too expensive in the part of TN you are in? Any advice to give?

Tony
my situation may be different than yours. What I can say (to be positive) is that I haven't had to work since we lived here- There are alot more places in the US (especially now-in a right to work state) that are very depressed. I am learning to count my blessings.

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee