Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 02:56 PM

18 posts, read 106,495 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling through Selmer, Henderson, Jackson, Camden and Paris soon and would like to find some of the Amish/Mennonite type food stores while visiting. I would appreciate any recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 09:11 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,054 times
pudlemom, you will be passing a bakery, candy store, and food supplier as you drive up 45 south from selmer. it is plainly marked and sits on the right side of the hwy. i go there 3 or 4 times yearly to pick up fleur de salle, baking gluten, specialty spices, special chemicals for food processing...they have almost as much baking needs, etc. as the knoxville gourmet market on kingston (i think.) gourmet market has a much better line of culinary specialty tools, french butter, jams, etc. it is my favorite, and i go about 4 txs yearly. they are reliable about shipping anywhere in the u.s. anyway, the store on 45 has various fresh baked goods---cakes, cookies, breads. homemade jams, jellies, preserves, relish, on and on. they are very friendly and helpul...they will appreciate your business. good luck.

Last edited by kingchef; 04-18-2009 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: wrong spelling

Old 04-18-2009, 02:53 PM

Kingchef, thanks so much for your reply. That sounds interesting. I bet they'll have unique flavorings and extracts. I am specifically looking for soft white wheat for making pastries, etc. I hope they carry it.

Are you referring to Ada's Unusual Country Store with the hoop cheese sign? I came across a reference to this on a Tennessee vacation website.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:46 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelmom View Post
Kingchef, thanks so much for your reply. That sounds interesting. I bet they'll have unique flavorings and extracts. I am specifically looking for soft white wheat for making pastries, etc. I hope they carry it.

Are you referring to Ada's Unusual Country Store with the hoop cheese sign? I came across a reference to this on a Tennessee vacation website.
yes, ada's is the place. i'm sorry for not telling you the name when i answered your post; however, i was trying to do three things at once and pet my cat, who was walking on my lap top. they do have different extracts---good madagascar vanilla, good pure extracts, lemon, orange, rosehips, etc. i have bought bread flour there on several occasions and in large quantities. i have been able to purchase bakery quality flours for pastries and cakes, bleached and raw...i think you will like it. i have always been pleasantly surprised w/ the variety and amount of items they carry. by the way, i was able to beat the king arthur price for pastry flour through food service at this establishment. that is always a good feeling.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:32 PM

No problem! I appreciate your answering at all ;-).

I am actually looking for soft white wheat berries/kernels, but may pick up a little flour if that's all they have. I'm eager to see the extracts. Oh, I bet I could load up on cake flour and freeze it, too. The King Arthur brand is not available where I live.

What kind of chemicals for food processing (if you don't mind my asking)? That sounds so interesting. I make my own jams and jellies, but I'm sure they'll have flavors I don't make/have never seen. I can hardly wait!

Old 04-20-2009, 07:01 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
There is a Mennonite bakery in Whiteville Tennessee but thats a good 40 miles west of Selmer. Ruins my diet all the time!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-20-2009, 08:12 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
I'm trying to remember the name of that place in Murray, Kentucky not too far from Paris, but failing. Google says nothing on it, but does mention that the Amish sell at the Murray farmer's market.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:14 AM

beachmouse, Perhaps my friends will know of the place in Murray. Thanks for mentioning it.

Capt. Dan, I can certainly understand that. For me it would be the maple pecan glazed long johns or whatever they're called.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:24 AM

beachmouse, it wouldn't be something called Kenlake Foods, would it?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:26 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
No idea. It's been 10+ years since we lived in the area, and I remember the food, but not the name or location of the reataurant & gift shop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee