Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:36 PM

630 posts, read 2,431,494 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for the information.
I don't need a commercial license, just a plain old ordinary driver's license.

Here's what I found in the faq's at the State of Tennessee website:
Frequently Asked Questions - Question 11

I just moved to Tennessee. What do I need to do to get my Tennessee Driver License? What documentation will I need to bring and what test will I need to take?

Answer: New residents holding a valid out-of-state driver license or out-of-state learner permit must obtain a Tennessee Learner Permit or Driver License no later than thirty (30) days after establishing residency.

For the issuance of a Tennessee Driver License:

•You must be at least sixteen (16) years of age.
•Surrender your valid out-of-state permit and submit all other identity/citizenship/residency requirements for a Class D license to the examiner.
•Pass a standard vision screening. If your permit has expired more than 6 months you will also have to pass the Class D knowledge exam.
•Pass a road skills test.
•If you are under the age of 18, you will also need the following:
◦A parent or legal guardian (with proof of guardianship) present to sign a minor/teenage affidavit and financial responsibility form.
◦Show proof of school attendance/progress from a current Tennessee school or a letter from the school in your previous state that confirms your attendance and satisfactory progress during enrollment in that school. This letter must be signed and dated by the principal or guidance counselor no more than 30 days prior to your Tennessee application.
◦Must have held a valid learner permit in the other state for a minimum of 180 days. If your permit from the other state has been issued for less than 180 days you cannot receive a Tennessee license.You will be required to get a Tennessee permit and hold it until you have reached the required 180 days.
◦50 hours of behind the wheel driving experience (including 10 hours of night driving). A 50-Hour Certification form must be signed by your parent, guardian or driving instructor confirming this experience.
◦An original, certified Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) (no photocopies) from the former state issued no more than 30 days prior to your Tennessee application date.
■If there are accidents or moving violations shown on your MVR from the previous state the Examiner will have to submit the MVR to Nashville for review before issuing a Tennessee license. This review is to determine if the violations in the former state total less than 6 points. If the points limit is exceeded you will have to hold a Tennessee learner permit for 180 days without accumulating 6 points or more on your Tennessee record.
■If your MVR from the previous state is clear (no violations or accidents) you will be permitted to take the road test for a Tennessee Intermediate Restricted driver license.

If a new resident brings a valid, out-of-state driver license (or a certified driving record from that state showing the license has not expired), only the vision screening is required unless otherwise deemed necessary by the Examiner. However, if the license has expired over six months, all tests are required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee