Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 03:11 PM

35 posts, read 106,159 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of different types of felonies out there and only a few that are really concerning for a job like a real estate agent.

you also have to remember that once someone has gone to jail they have paid for their crime already. they have a right to work. it doesn't mean they will steal from you or hurt you and there have also been innocent people who have been sent to prison.

it's wrong to discriminate against felons.

the only types of felony conviction that would really concern me as a real estate agent would be sex offenders and burglars.

with a lower priority of concern to the burglar. they've done their time and there is a good chance they've gone straight. the sex offender thing is a deep seated emotional thing for them. a mental illness.. prison isn't going to make that better.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:05 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Thanks all for your responses. Since this is a state by state thing I am going to move this to the TN forum since this happened in TN. I haven't looked at the links provided in TN but will do so now. Thanks again!

PS. On the topic that it is wrong to discriminate against felons: the act of committing a felony precludes people from many things in the future - including the right to vote. These things are meant to be a deterrent to people to not commit the felony in the first place. Now, before I get too much off topic I will stop.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:58 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Regarding TN...

As you know, I'm going to get my real estate license. Before the school will even take me I have to fill out a form and send it into the state. They WILL run a background check on me.

I have the form in my hands (I have to send this thing in!). They want to know if I have "EVER been convicted of, pled nolo contendere to, pled guilty to, or been granted first offender treatment upon being charged with ANY criminal offense(s) other than a traffic violation." (my emphasis)

They also want to know about any previous reprimands by ANY state or federal licensing authority regarding ANY profession. You must also not be behind more than two months on child support or be on probation.

I believe that the state will consider you but you have to submit a lot of paperwork if any of the above pertains to you.

I hope this helps!

Old 07-06-2009, 06:00 PM

24 posts, read 93,711 times
Don't worry, I'm sure the unconvicted felons far outnumber the convicted one's in your profession.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:09 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,834 times
Someone I know was refused his R.E. licence because of a gun possession and an assault. I think it depends on the type of crime. Fraud or embezzlement, yes. Poaching salmon, probably not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee