Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 02:26 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,803,633 times

Advertisements

My dad was a reader, as am I. One of his favorite books was one called "Six Feet Six". I had read it when I was in my pre-teens, and really haven't read it since. My dad's copy has been packed away, moving along with me, up on bookshelves, back in storage again.

Recently I went thru my book collection, and re-discovered this book. I put it aside to read when I finished my last book. Well, yesterday, I started reading this again.

Most likely, a few of you already recognize the book.

It's about Sam Houston - yes, a romanticized version, and the style it's written in is aimed at the younger set, but I'm still enjoying it.

I've re-discovered that the first part of the book is set in the first part of Sam Houston's life - in Tennessee! With delight, I'm reading about how they travelled thru Knoxville, and settled about 15 miles outside of Maryville TN. They had a store in Marysville, where Sam would occasionally work, in between his adventures with the native americans.

His travels to Nashville, Lebanon, and other towns that I recognize in Tennessee!

What a delight this book is!

And of course, some may ask who Sam Houston is, unless you're a Texan - (shame on our public school system if they don't!!).

Well, Sam Houston was a governor of both Tennessee and Texas. Involved in national politics, and actually could've run for President if not for a few happenings in his life. He was influential with the native americans, bettering their lives on the reservations. A fight with a Congressman, followed by a high profile trial, led to his emigration to Mexican Texas, where he soon became a leader of the Texas Revolution.

Part of what was going on with President Jackson at that time, echoes modern day politics, with an un-popular war, lies, fights, and underhanded tricks by political cronies.

This book is just an introduction into his life, and a romanticized version as it is, but it's going to make me look further into his life and read on.

I am hoping to see what remains of his life and history in Tennessee when/if we move there.

blessings, Shen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 02:46 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Thanks for sharing that! I don't really know much about Sam Houston. I'll have to do some research!

Old 06-17-2007, 02:46 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
I have a video somewhere around here somewhere of Houston's early life in Tennesse. It was produced by the local PBS station. I'd be glad to send it to you . . . if I can find it. I just taped it off the broadcast so I'm not sure what quality it is.

Everyone here knows about Sam Houston, or at least who he is.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:12 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
Alleycat - you'd be surprised at what people DON'T know! I was going to a dinner a couple of years ago, where the society was honoring Jimmy Stewart. Well, one of the few living actors who has acted in a production with Jimmy Stewart is Ernest Borgnine. My sister and I made reservations for the hotel, and mentioned we would be meeting Ernest Borgnine. The hotel clerk said 'Who?'

blessings, Shen

Old 06-17-2007, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Thanks for sharing that! I don't really know much about Sam Houston. I'll have to do some research!
Hiknapster, anytime I can get someone as fired up about American History as I am, it's a good thing!

blessings, Shen

Old 06-17-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post
Alleycat - you'd be surprised at what people DON'T know! I was going to a dinner a couple of years ago, where the society was honoring Jimmy Stewart. Well, one of the few living actors who has acted in a production with Jimmy Stewart is Ernest Borgnine. My sister and I made reservations for the hotel, and mentioned we would be meeting Ernest Borgnine. The hotel clerk said 'Who?'

blessings, Shen
I was working on the house in Misssissippi owned by William Faulkner's brother. The University was turning it into some of kind of guest house/conference center thing. I told a friend about it. She asked, "William Faulkner? Is he dead?" This was in about 1996. Yeah, I think he's been dead for a while now.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:38 PM

You don't have to get me fired up about history, Shen! My favorite channel? The History Channel! You and I can talk about it at our Polish dinner!

Y'all missed the Secret City festival, yesterday. They had a World War II reenactment. Incredible.

They had a lot of people there that were original residents of the Secret City. It was something else.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:49 PM

I hope there wasn't a big exposion at the end.

;-)

Old 06-17-2007, 03:54 PM

Guess what? We won!

Old 08-05-2007, 03:01 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,376,856 times
Thanks, Shen, for the facts about Sam Houston. I think he was also President of Texas during its independence. As a native Virginian, I am proud that he was born there near Greenville, between Staunton and Lexington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee