Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 03:04 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrwinFamily View Post
Thanks LAnative,
He's definatly not going to be working an office job, he works as a derrick hand and hopefully operator soon, on a production rig.
We are looking for more country life than city anyway. I have no idea what prices are like and what we can afford with Texas oilfield wages and Texas rental prices. But we are hoping to be able to rent at least a 3 bedroom nice sized house with either a really large yard or a small bit of land, in a desirable safe location.
The big Texas cities are out of the question for this.

Just what LAnative said, Midland/Odessa is a good one coming to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 06:02 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
There is a lot of activity in the Barnett Shale right now, which is going to be more around the Ft Worth area. There are wells actually being drilled in the city and all around the surrounding suburbs. You might look in towns like Wichita Falls, Mineral Wells, Bridgeport, Abilene and also some of the smaller towns in West Texas like Andrews, Big Spring, San Angelo.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:06 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
The highest wages paid for roughneck/roustabout work is going to be in the Gulf of Mexico offshore oil rig industry. That usually implies locating along the Gulf Coast in the Houston to Beaumont areas.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:19 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
I work in the oil industry as an engineer. There are oilfields all over texas (Barnett shale--DFW, austin chalk, beaumont area-east texas, south texas also has lots of wells) . But I would agree with a previous poster that the best opportunity for work would be in the midland/odessa area (permian basin). I've been to Bakersfield and I can safely say that the closest thing to Bakersfield is Midland/Odessa (except housing is cheaper!)... Unfortunately you will run into illegals here as well though.

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2010, 03:31 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,576,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I would look at the Midland/Odessa or Lubbock areas. That seems to be where the wells are themselves.
Wrong. Well...you're right about Midland-Odessa, but the oil industry is virtually non-existant in Lubbock. For some reason, it is a common misconception.

Old 06-17-2010, 04:34 PM

14 posts, read 65,367 times
Thanks everyoen for the info!
We are unfortuatly more confused now than ever. My husband met someone at work that used to live in Midland and Odessa ad he says that they are almost identical to Bakersfield. We arn't going to upo and leave if there isn't going to be a big difference. Ugh. Well back to the drawing board.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:14 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,917,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrwinFamily View Post
My husband met someone at work that used to live in Midland and Odessa ad he says that they are almost identical to Bakersfield.
IMO, Bakersfield is much greener with all the farm fields in the area. Midland/Odessa is very arid with some irrigation well type farming. The lands surrounding both towns is dotted with oil/gas wells. A look at aerial photographs on Google will show the extent. I believe the climate is about the same - with Bakersfield possibly a bit more humid with all of the irrigation.

East Texas contains the oldest and once the largest producing wells in the state, and there is still significant activity in that part of the state. I just signed a mineral rights lease on land in far east Texas to a gas exploration company. East Texas is heavily wooded, very humid and hot in summer, mild year around.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:53 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
When I lived in Midland, I knew a family that moved there from Bakersfield. They always said Midland reminded them of Bakersfield. Not so much is appearance, but in the general feel of the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas