Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:16 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,966 times

Advertisements

I've noticed alot of California vs Texas coming up lately. In many of these threads Texans accuse Californians of trying to change Texas into California. I have only lived in Texas for a year, and only briefly visited California so I unaware how Texas is becoming more like California. I am wondering if anyone could cite specific examples? Like increase in taxes, more consumer culture, more environmental regulation, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 07:52 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,058 times
Texas is NOT becoming like California. Some, but definitely far from most, California transplants would like to see Texas look more like California, and complain about this to no end. But regardless of how much they whine nothing is happening to our state and our traditions.

The only way Texas is becoming like California is that a lot of Californians are moving here.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:37 AM

1,305 posts, read 3,489,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
I've noticed alot of California vs Texas coming up lately. In many of these threads Texans accuse Californians of trying to change Texas into California. I have only lived in Texas for a year, and only briefly visited California so I unaware how Texas is becoming more like California. I am wondering if anyone could cite specific examples? Like increase in taxes, more consumer culture, more environmental regulation, etc.
It's a decreasing sense of libertarianism pervasive over the last ten or fifteen years. No longer can you smoke in bars or allow your child to ride in the front seat of the car. More laws are going on the books that limit individual freedoms in the name of safety. We've turned to basing our laws off the lowest common denominators of society rather than the precepts of individual freedom and personal responsibility. The state is turning into a *shudders* nanny. Rational adults are treated like children because a handful of irrational adults act like children. We've gone from managing ourselves to basking in the irresponsibility of having the government manage us because we've become too lazy to do it.

It wasn't always like it is now in California. The nanny-state crept in insidiously and surreptitiously like a thief in the night taking away freedoms bit by bit until the people were no longer held accountable for their actions and the government was crumbling from its largesse. California used to be a tough western state. Now, not so much. It's happening here too. And, this change followed in the wake of the first wave of Californian immigrants. They brought their smoking ban with them, and the people of Texas said, "Yeah, that makes sense," rather than, "Wait, we can decide what's best for ourselves." Then they brought their child safety regulations, and the good people of Texas said, "Yeah, that makes sense," rather than, "Wait, we can decide what's best for our kids." Then the Californians got bolder, joined the local governments and emasculated Austin's music scene. And, they're not done yet either. I don't share in theloneranger's optimism. I think the trend is close to becoming irreversible.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:52 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Do we really have to rehash all of this again..........
There are at least a couple dozen threads already with the same stuff that is going to be said again here.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:54 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
It's a decreasing sense of libertarianism pervasive over the last ten or fifteen years. No longer can you smoke in bars or allow your child to ride in the front seat of the car. More laws are going on the books that limit individual freedoms in the name of safety. We've turned to basing our laws off the lowest common denominators of society rather than the precepts of individual freedom and personal responsibility. The state is turning into a *shudders* nanny. Rational adults are treated like children because a handful of irrational adults act like children. We've gone from managing ourselves to basking in the irresponsibility of having the government manage us because we've become too lazy to do it.

It wasn't always like it is now in California. The nanny-state crept in insidiously and surreptitiously like a thief in the night taking away freedoms bit by bit until the people were no longer held accountable for their actions and the government was crumbling from its largesse. California used to be a tough western state. Now, not so much. It's happening here too. And, this change followed in the wake of the first wave of Californian immigrants. They brought their smoking ban with them, and the people of Texas said, "Yeah, that makes sense," rather than, "Wait, we can decide what's best for ourselves." Then they brought their child safety regulations, and the good people of Texas said, "Yeah, that makes sense," rather than, "Wait, we can decide what's best for our kids." Then the Californians got bolder, joined the local governments and emasculated Austin's music scene. And, they're not done yet either. I don't share in theloneranger's optimism. I think the trend is close to becoming irreversible.

This is an excellent post. Yes, this is the kind of change I've seen, where people from a "nanny state" atmosphere (and it doesn't have to be California) or who really really really want to dictate that everyone else be just like them become involved in our local and state governments and push that kind of agenda. It's slow, but insidious (and I can hear the founding fathers, of both Texas AND the United States, rolling over in their graves, considering all they gave to prevent just such a society).

It should be said that it's most definitely not MOST people moving here from California (or other nanny state areas) who do this, just those who feel that it's in their best interests to replicate that here and who have the time and money to push that agenda.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:15 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Lets pray that, in many ways, it does NOT become like CA.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:04 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,276,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Lets pray that, in many ways, it does NOT become like CA.
Except for the illegals and Mexico border states, I don't ever see that happening.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:18 PM

1,476 posts, read 1,775,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTheKid View Post
It's a decreasing sense of libertarianism pervasive over the last ten or fifteen years. No longer can you smoke in bars or allow your child to ride in the front seat of the car. More laws are going on the books that limit individual freedoms in the name of safety.
A politician has to write these laws up, and they have to approved by the Texas government. Do you think that the influx of Californians was the primary factor for this to happen?

Old 07-08-2009, 05:26 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,164 times
[quote=joejitsu;9650821]Texans accuse Californians of trying to change Texas into California. quote]

I don't think they are trying to change Texas into California, I think just make it more livable.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
[quote=Cupcake77;9667430]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejitsu View Post
Texans accuse Californians of trying to change Texas into California. quote]

I don't think they are trying to change Texas into California, I think just make it more livable.
And there's the problem - for some Californians (the ones we don't care for), the definition of "livable" is "just like California, NOT like Texas".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas