Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:40 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,923 times

Advertisements

In light of the upcoming primary, this is kind of an interesting story contrasting the probable economic futures of Texas and Ohio. According to this, things are looking good for Texas, not so for Ohio.

Ohio and Texas: A tale of two states - Joel Kotkin - Politico.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 12:17 PM

1,298 posts, read 4,288,113 times
Very interesting. I suppose we should be grateful we live in a relatively prosperous state. I think the Texas we knew just a decade or two ago is going by the wayside. Change is inevitable, though. It makes me happy that we're so strong economically but as I see the huge amounts of out-of-staters pouring in, most notably from the west and north/northeast, what's to become of Texas culture? Are any of these in-country migrants interested in upholding it?

Old 02-28-2008, 03:21 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies49 View Post
Very interesting. I suppose we should be grateful we live in a relatively prosperous state. I think the Texas we knew just a decade or two ago is going by the wayside. Change is inevitable, though. It makes me happy that we're so strong economically but as I see the huge amounts of out-of-staters pouring in, most notably from the west and north/northeast, what's to become of Texas culture? Are any of these in-country migrants interested in upholding it?
I moved here 20 months ago and here's my take. I haven't moved somewhere where I didn't already like the culture... I've grown to like most things Texan, and I love the phrase "I'm more of a Texan than you, you were born here, but I chose to live here."

That said, as we move in, we are going to bring some of our culture with us... you'll see more ny style pizza places, more bagel places, etc... but that's not to say that I would want to replace tex-mex with pizza... it's nice to have the best of all worlds.

You're always going to get some people who move and don't want to assimilate at all... you gotta just ignore them. They'll eventually go home, because they obviously haven't made Texas home.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:23 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,937,599 times
Where I live you already see bagel, NY pizza, sushi (Californians' unofficial state meal), etc. places within a few miles. They're already here.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:20 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Where I live you already see bagel, NY pizza, sushi (Californians' unofficial state meal), etc. places within a few miles. They're already here.
In New York you could substitute a bagel shop for every donut shop here, and a pizza place for every mexican restaurant. I had never seen so many donut shops before in my life!

I know we're invading, but it's still hard to find a good bagel and good pizza. But it'll come soon enough.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,192,079 times
I'd say no two of us know exactly the same "Texas", and I'm not just waxing philosophical. There isn't much similarity between Dallas and Alpine, for example. I, for one, wish that "Texas music" didn't just mean what it does in most people's minds, but included jazz...the University of North Texas in Denton is second to none in that.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:01 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times
My son, just back from several years in NYC, mentioned several times the fact that, with all the diversity of kinds of food there, a breakfast taco was not to be found. (I told him he should start a taco wagon up there and clean up - perhaps those desiring an authentic bagel should do likewise! ) Up until shortly before he left, no good true BBQ could be found, either - but he says Hill Country BBQ (I think that's the name of it) is absolutely authentic (and he should know - I doubt there's a BBQ joint within 100 miles of Austin he hasn't tried!).

Old 02-29-2008, 08:15 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,018,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
My son, just back from several years in NYC, mentioned several times the fact that, with all the diversity of kinds of food there, a breakfast taco was not to be found. (I told him he should start a taco wagon up there and clean up - perhaps those desiring an authentic bagel should do likewise! )
A former co-worker's son went to college in upstate NY and he started making breakfast tacos for his roommate, that bleed over to making them for his neighbors, and finally upon graduation he opened a breakfast taco joint that at the time (10 years ago) was booming. Sorry, I can't remember where it was exactly.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:31 AM

7 posts, read 23,212 times
Should be finalizing a newly built home and be out there in 5-6 months...yes, I think this 'in-country' migrant family is up to the task of upholding the Texas culture. Why do you think we're moving out there? To be amongst the likes of you and your family!

Old 02-29-2008, 04:55 PM

52,693 posts, read 47,969,279 times
Texas will continue to thrive, energy prices or no. We've got successes in a lot of different fields. Houses are still being built, and people are still moving here and finding jobs. It's by design, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: