Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 03:22 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,584,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD'Arc View Post
Dude, I just said I did it myself. Why do you think anyone makes those mistakes? They probably heard it from someone else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
More evidence for my theory that you have no idea what you're talking about! Just because everybody else might use bad grammar is no excuse for not knowng basic spelling and punctuation rules (ones that I seriouly learned in the first grade at a Texas public school). It doesn't surprise me that someone of your thought process would rather blame society than be accountable for his own actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 05:23 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,934,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
More evidence for my theory that you have no idea what you're talking about! Just because everybody else might use bad grammar is no excuse for not knowng basic spelling and punctuation rules (ones that I seriouly learned in the first grade at a Texas public school). It doesn't surprise me that someone of your thought process would rather blame society than be accountable for his own actions.
What horrible things to say about someone you don't even know!

For your information, I did learn proper punctuation, spelling and grammar in public school, and have found myself, surprisingly, leaning toward more "popular" usage without realizing it right away. That was the whole point of my comment. Try using your brain if you have one, before maligning someone else.

I am not blaming anyone; on the contrary, I am accepting responsibility for my own actions, something you are, I am sure, unfamiliar with.

Old 07-01-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
What horrible things to say about someone you don't even know!

For your information, I did learn proper punctuation, spelling and grammar in public school, and have found myself, surprisingly, leaning toward more "popular" usage without realizing it right away. That was the whole point of my comment. Try using your brain if you have one, before maligning someone else.

I am not blaming anyone; on the contrary, I am accepting responsibility for my own actions, something you are, I am sure, unfamiliar with.
I think you read a certain nastiness that into my post that wasn't intended. Blunt perhaps, but not nasty. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the trouble comes in when I said "someone of your thought process." I didn't mean that personally like you are unintelligent or something. It's clear you have a liberal sway, and it is a common liberal stance that personal problems are largely the result of societal problems, and your comments exemplify that whether you realize that or not. So in essence, I was attacking your stance, not you personally. (For the record, I'm not liberal or conservative.)

I get tired of random posters who have no experience with Texas coming on the boards and insulting us because they don't agree with the politics. Don't try to claim you don't fit such a description. You implied that Texans are less intelligent and unable to spell because of the textbooks, which in reality are no different than textbooks in other states. Those stupid changes to the history books (which not even conservatives agree with) were only approved last month and have nothing to do with how people spell.

So I guess I could ask you what were you thinking when you made your comments? Why did you say such nasty things to me like I don't have a brain and I don't know how to take responsibility when I didn't even insult you, just your stance? BTW, your first insult was a classic ad hominem argument, but your second insult doesn't really make sense; you used my argument against me without justification. Where in my posts did I say anything that was along the lines of me blaming someone else for my actions?

To be blunt again, I'm really not interested in hearing your replies to my questions. I wasn't really insulted by your post (this is a forum after all), and all those questions are rhetorical. I'm sorry you were so offended by my post, and for that I apologize. I would appreciate it if you didn't DM me again.

Last edited by Westerner92; 07-01-2010 at 08:25 PM..

Old 07-02-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:

To be blunt again, I'm really not interested in hearing your replies to my questions. I wasn't really insulted by your post (this is a forum after all), and all those questions are rhetorical. I'm sorry you were so offended by my post, and for that I apologize. I would appreciate it if you didn't DM me again.
I appreciate the apology... written text carries little clarifying emotional input so we need to be very careful with it.

You've taken the time to dissect my comments but aren't interested in hearing my response?

Fine by me, but it's hard for me to understand a person who will get into a discussion then quit when someone disagrees with his or her position.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:17 AM

2,327 posts, read 3,941,585 times
I think it's usually the weekend crews in San Antonio that misspell captions, though Tuesday the perennial third place station messed up a word. (Hmmm...I wonder why it's always third place.)

Old 07-02-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I appreciate the apology... written text carries little clarifying emotional input so we need to be very careful with it.

You've taken the time to dissect my comments but aren't interested in hearing my response?

Fine by me, but it's hard for me to understand a person who will get into a discussion then quit when someone disagrees with his or her position.
I wasn't trying to get into a discussion; I was trying to shut you up, which I believe I did so successfully.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:19 PM

45 posts, read 162,248 times
My favorite caption blooper was probably in the early 1980s when I was watching a national TV news, and the topic was Yasser Arafat. I was reading the captions and my eyes widened when I read, "... Arrest Fat." That took me a minute to think and realized the captionist would have typed Yasser Arafat.

From time to time, I still think about that blooper.

Old 07-03-2010, 12:34 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,204,174 times
Yikes! That's a new low.

I simply don't understand what is so difficult about the distinction between there/their and especially its/it's, but it's a big problem for lots of people!

Old 07-03-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I wasn't trying to get into a discussion; I was trying to shut you up, which I believe I did so successfully.
So now I see the sincerity of your apology.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
So now I see the sincerity of your apology.
*Sigh* Just because you deserve to be shut up doesn't mean my apology wasn't sincere. Kudos on keeping me posting on this thread BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas