Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 09:22 AM

7 posts, read 12,197 times

Advertisements

Hi, I will be attending training for 5 days in New Braunfels and plan to bring husband and 3-year old and my mom and dad so that's it's also a mini-vacation for them. How is the weather in September? And where do you recommend we go where my toddler could play? Also plan to visit a family in Arlington but found out that it's about 4 hours away. What is the closest airport there or any suggestions on public transportation, train or car rental/shuttle service?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 11:55 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,155 times
Trying to fly that short distance would take you much longer than 4 hrs by the time you got to the San Antonion airport, sat in the holding pens, went thru security, etc.... I'd just rent a mini van and head north...it's not a bad drive.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:04 PM

950 posts, read 1,259,768 times
Default New Braunfels-Visiting in September

I agree, it would be better to drive to Arlington.There is an airport at New Braunfels, but it is a small one.Nearest Big one to New Braunfels is San Antonio International.Heck of a lot closer than Austin's airport.
Weather here is I guess usually cool.I would bring a sweater or light jacket maybe.So far it seems we are off to a rainy start,but we will see,as it can get to 100 degress or more over the summer.

There is a children's museum in New Braunfels and also Landa Park and Prince Solms park your little one can run around in.
San Antonio is right down the road from New Braunfels on Interstate 35 South.You can visit the San Antonio Zoo and the Witte Museum has a kids playhouse. Go to the New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce website for visitor's info. You might be able to go to San Marcos to the outliet malls there, and It's not too far from New Braunfels to Lockhart to get Texas BBQ.Cooper's Bbq in New Braunfels I hear is good.
It's just a short drive to Gruene,Tx.It was a ghost town near New Braunfels, with a small population.Now it is a popular place for visitors.There are various shops and a winery tasting place where you can purchase wines from different Texas winerys.Also, the Grist Mill Restaurant in Gruene on the Guadalupe river is very good.It used to be an old flour mill at one time.You can sit outside an look over the Guadalupe river.
Schlitterbahn Water Park is in New Braunfels and has been featured on the Travel Channel as one of the best water parks in the country.You can type in their name and see how long they are open.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:40 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
all good suggestions--
especially about driving to Arlington but frankly I would see if your family could not come down to visit you--
they might enjoy chance to get into NB and take a minivacation==
the water will still be warm enough at the water park--and they rent houses as well--but most of them are probably the worse for wear--the ones I have seen online--
we have friends in FTW whose extended family has gone to NB to water park every year for past two decades I guess and think they stay at one of the rentals around the park-NB is pretty low-key, casual regarding lodgings--Gruene area has some upscale B&B and hotels more than NB

Schlitterbahn Waterparks - America's First Family of Waterparks

New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce
New Braunfels Vacations, Tourism and New Braunfels, Texas Travel Reviews - TripAdvisor

THE ONLY BBQ YOU NEED TO TRY IS CITY MARKET BBQ IN LULING--right on corner of Davis and 183---
you want the one on the NW corner --no the imposter farther east on Davis

Grist Mill is good place to eat and walking around Gruene is nice for a day--
Gruene also has a web site --and love town's motto--Gently resisting change since 1872--
Gruene, Texas - Gently resisting change since 1872
Gruene, Texas - Visitor & Real Estate Guide to Gruene, Texas
the Hall still has live music
the movie Michael with John Travolta had its dance hall sequence filmed there and other local sites used in film...

If you husband is going along and likes to golf--there are is plenty of golf available--
the Bandit course says it is in New Braunfels but it is out of town more by Lake McQueeny--about a 20 drive from say the Holiday Inn on I35 in New Braunfels--excellent course

the old Starke Park Course in Seguin was one of the best around but the flood more than 10 yrs ago took down so many of the beautiful pecans and I think the course has not really come back
Landa Park has a course--but the Bandit is top dog

Landa Park in NE has a mini-railroad that people can ride through the park that your child might like
New Braunfels, TX - Official Website - Landa Park Attractions

PS---if you haven't considered it--and your company would be ok with it--you might consider checking out some of the VRBO rentals or other home rentals in New Braunfels--there are homes with yards that might give you more space for all your people and stuff--
New Braunfels Texas Vacation Rentals by Owner - New Braunfels Texas VRBO, Vacation Home Rentals, Condo Rentals, FRBO Vacation Rentals, New Braunfels Texas Travel Information (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/texas/hill-country/new-braunfels - broken link)
this is another home rental site that has list of attractions in the area--and it mentions the Children's Museum
http://www.vacationnewbraunfels.com/...ls-attractions

NB itself is not that pretty a town to me and not that much to see/do IN town--most of it is around the hub on way to San Marcos---it has not done what Gruene has done or Wimberley

but there is bakery in downtown part--one of the oldest in TX--make some good kolaches...
Naegelin's Bakery--Quality Baked Goods Since 1868
last time we were in about two years ago it was showing its age--they have not really spent any money to spruce it up--so it is a little downscale but food was still good but I noticed on TripAdvisor site that some people gave it some negative reviews...

Old 07-13-2010, 08:27 PM

885 posts, read 1,553,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colors632 View Post
Hi, I will be attending training for 5 days in New Braunfels and plan to bring husband and 3-year old and my mom and dad so that's it's also a mini-vacation for them. How is the weather in September? And where do you recommend we go where my toddler could play? Also plan to visit a family in Arlington but found out that it's about 4 hours away. What is the closest airport there or any suggestions on public transportation, train or car rental/shuttle service?

Thanks!

Are you from the East Coast?

Old 07-13-2010, 10:08 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
If you have time I would defanatly check out the attractions in SA like the Riverwalk,Alamo,Market Square your son would probably love the San Antonio Zoo there's also Natural Bridge Caverns and Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch and of course Sea World.

The Official Web site for The San Antonio River Walk! (http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/index.asp - broken link)

Historic Market Square

San Antonio Zoo and Aquarium - Where you experience Real. Wild. Life.

Home Page Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch

Home

San Antonio Home

Saloon Cafe - Since 1881

Six Flags Fiesta Texas

Old 07-14-2010, 04:18 AM

11 posts, read 27,414 times
All of the suggestions are great! New Braunsfel is a great location.

Texas Temperatures can still be very warm in September! An interesting alternative from the heat, visit Natural Bridge Caverns. The cave temperature is probably about 68 degrees (plus or minus-see the web site). A cave's temperature is based upon the average ambient temperature of the surface.

This area was once under water, limestone caves are abundant. My three year old Grandson had a wonderful WOW experience at Cave Without A Name.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 AM

35 posts, read 99,574 times
all good suggestions.

Depends when you'll be here in September.

Schlitterbahn is only open on weekends after labor day. Personally I think the water is pretty cold for a toddler once we get into September.

Our park has some good playscapes for toddlers and the train ride is a rather slow one, but relaxing and kids usually dig it. We were on it about a month ago and I think that the ride was about 15 - 20 minutes or so.

As for barbeque, I know people just rave about Lockhart barbeque...but I've never been overly impressed with it. :/

Definitely hit up Gruene, if not to just to look at the stores. If it's not too hot, Gristmill is definitely a nice place for the ambiance/setting. I think that Gruene River Grill, which is right next door, has better food but you can't go wrong with either one. There's a place up the road called Gruene Door that's great too...especially their desserts. We have a new Cupcakery Place in the same center as Gruene Door, but I haven't been there. I've also seen a new coffee/juice place that looks beautiful to sit outside in the evenings at. It's along Gruene Road between the actual community of Gruene and the center where Gruene Door/Cupcake place is. (also, in case you didn't know...Gruene is pronounced Green. Lots of tourists tend to get confused or mispronounce it. )

If you're only going to be here for 5 days, I wouldn't want to drive up to Arlington. It's going to take a good 4-5 hours to get there...and that's IF traffic isn't at a standstill. You can take the toll around Austin, but there always seems to be a patch of traffic outside the Hillsboro-DFW cutoff.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
and there is NO public tranportation
you should fly into Austin or San Antonio--Austin if I had a preference because its airport is on edge of town toward NB and is large and fairly easy to navigate but guess it depends on who your carriers are from your home and what prices you can get on tickets...

you will have to rent a car to drive to NB and get around while you are there

Old 07-15-2010, 11:06 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colors632 View Post
How is the weather in September?
It'll likely be hot still. The all-time record high in San Antonio was 111. That happened in early September in 2000. There are fronts that blow in, but that usually means highs in the 80's. It usually doesn't get consistently cool until October.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas