Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:24 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,868,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Wow you guys would be considered bandwagon fans but every great franchise has its ups and downs. The Cowboys will return to glory hopefully sooner than later.
It doesn't matter to me at the current time whether they win or lose.

Until they have another team owner, it wouldn't bother me if they lost every game they played.

In the days of Tom Landry and the class act he was....and the team he had--very different story.

So many of today's players are just drug addicts, womanizers and thugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Cathy4017: The coach was Jimmy Johnson. The owner is Jerry Jones. You conflated the two. I am so tired of the owner's star turn in the Mr John's Pizza commercials, "the official pizza of the Dallas Cowboys". How silly is that, and doesn't Mr Jones have enough money already? I can't imagine Landry doing that.
Catman...thanks for the correction! You're quite right!

I don't like Jerry Jones at all...and I REALLY didn't like Jimmy Johnson, since he came on the heels of Tom Landry.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:35 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,375 times
Quote:
They really did look horrible. Of course they are trying to put a positive spin on it, but it's hard to do. They had 13 yards of rushing in the entire game!

I always hated that "America's Team" nonsense. It embarrassed me and still does. All it did was tick off all the other teams.

We shall see, but I don't think they have much chance of even getting into the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl. I prefer college ball anyway.

Who will ever forget Lyle Alzado (defensive end - LA Raiders) saying "it just made him want to get down on the ground and puke" when asked how he felt about the Dallas Cowboys calling themselves America's team. LOL! Little did he know, a lot of us felt the same way! It was embarrassing!

I've never been on the bandwagon for the Cowboys either, but at least back in the days of Clint Murchison Jr., Tex Schramm and Tom Landry I had respect for them. They ran the franchise as a class act, whereas the present owner can't even spell the word class and the football franchise has suffered greatly for it. What a pity!

But to address the question of how the Cowboys will do this season I will say in my opinion you can never tell how a season will go by preseason games. It shouldn't take too long in the season to get a feel on how they're going to play this year though! Even then, you always have the issue of their injuries, other teams key injuries, unaccountable upsets, etc. to contend with, so who's to say who's going to wind up in the Super Bowl.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:17 PM

I've never been on the bandwagon for the Cowboys either, but at least back in the days of Clint Murchison Jr., Tex Schramm and Tom Landry I had respect for them. They ran the franchise as a class act, whereas the present owner can't even spell the word class and the football franchise has suffered greatly for it. What a pity!

Exactly. When you had Tom Landry....and the likes of Don Meredith, Roger Staubach, Too Tall Jones, Drew Pearson, Randy White, Tony Dorsett, Charlie Waters, Danny White...and many others....you had a very different class of players...and that had a WHOLE LOT to do with Tom Landry.

In the present day....I just don't care. It's just not the same caliber at all.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:28 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,273,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
It doesn't matter to me at the current time whether they win or lose.

Until they have another team owner, it wouldn't bother me if they lost every game they played.

In the days of Tom Landry and the class act he was....and the team he had--very different story.

So many of today's players are just drug addicts, womanizers and thugs.
I thought I was the only one who thought like that and I didn't dare mention it. I'm so glad you did! I cannot understand how people can even watch those clowns.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
I thought I was the only one who thought like that and I didn't dare mention it. I'm so glad you did! I cannot understand how people can even watch those clowns.
Canine....thanks for the rep points.....and I understand completely.

I watched part of the game when I was in CO last week, alternating between 3 programs.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:28 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Cathy4017: The only thing I differ with you on is that I really did like Jimmy Johnson. It wasn't his fault that Tom Landry was so unceremoniously booted, and another point in his favor is that he didn't get along with Jerry Jones for long. Jimmy obviously knew what he was doing as a coach, as his book Turning the Thing Around showed. I haven't cared for any Cowboys coach since then. Wade Phillips doesn't seem like he's all there.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:29 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Heh, I just caught on to a commercial for watching football on your cell phone. An older couple in a taxi in NYcity, watching the Cowboys score. They were headed for Central Park. At the time of the touchdown they made typical noise of excitement, the cab pulled over and said, 'You're here'.. or something to that effect.

He dropped them off at a poorly maintained dump of a park in what looked like a frightening part of town.

But I got it. New York, Dallas...

But a point here... pro-football is not what it was in the days of Landry and Staubach. In those days football could be classy and respectful. Today it's a cut throat business, star players out for the bigger buck. Players just move around until a club hits the right combination.

I think the Cowboys are having a 'teachable moment' tonite. They're either going to get it together for the season or it's going to be biz as usual. But like it or not, that's one real nice stadium, regardless of who built it.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Cathy4017: The only thing I differ with you on is that I really did like Jimmy Johnson. It wasn't his fault that Tom Landry was so unceremoniously booted, and another point in his favor is that he didn't get along with Jerry Jones for long. Jimmy obviously knew what he was doing as a coach, as his book Turning the Thing Around showed. I haven't cared for any Cowboys coach since then. Wade Phillips doesn't seem like he's all there.
I guess I lumped Jimmy Johnson and Jerry Jones together, since Jones was the one responsible for booting TL and hiring Jimmy Johnson.

Have you seen all of the blurbs for Survivor? None other than Jimmy Johnson shirtless in some jungle....LOL!!

I hate reality shows, especially the 2-3 episodes of Survivor that I tried to sit through--and I have no plans to watch the new season!

Old 09-02-2010, 09:48 PM

216 posts, read 444,285 times
I wasn't a fan of the way Tom Landry was let go, but to be fair his time had come. The game had long passed him by.

Jerry Jones is an ass though. As much as I dislike him, I'm not going to start rooting for another NFL team. The man can keep getting facelifts, but he won't live forever. (Yeah, that sounds terrible. I know.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas