Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2012, 01:28 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,935,420 times

Advertisements

This thread has been moved from the Education forum. The topic was "Privatization coming sooner then later?" NEWS--PRIVITIZATION coming sooner than later? and the discussion turned into one regarding Texas schools and taxes. This post is a response to that thread. toobusytoday - Education forum moderator

Quote:
I choose to live here in Texas where taxes are minimal, and to fight thieves who you support from taking my hard earned money in the form of wasted Federal taxation.

Stealing money from one person to give to another is immoral. Since you support this, you are immoral.

The Federal Government is useless, inefficient, corrupt, and wasteful, and needs to be dismantled.
The thread got closed, but I needed to point this out since you say you dislike the Feds. You really need to understand how much Federal money the state of Texas gets under Perry

Rick Perry's Texas gets plenty of money from the feds - Kate Nocera - POLITICO.com

Quote:
More than $380 million in early grants and other aid from the federal health law have already gone to businesses and agencies in the Lone Star State, according to figures from the Department of Health and Human Services, and Texas ended up with $17 billion from the stimulus.

Now, the state is waiting for final approval of a new waiver from federal Medicaid rules that could allow the state to draw down an additional $12 billion in funds from the federal government.
Quote:
That’s more than any other state would get under that part of the law. The only other state that comes close is California, which would get between $45 billion and $55 billion in federal Medicaid funds.

“The only word that can describe this is hypocrisy,” said Democratic state Rep. Garnet Coleman. “These days federal dollars might as well be counterfeit, they are so dirty — but Texas would not survive without them.”

To Perry, there’s nothing wrong with taking federal money. In his view, Texas taxpayers send plenty of money to Washington — so they have a right to get some of it back.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-15-2012 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: adding another link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 09:21 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,750,815 times
What's the point of this thread? More Perry bashing? Might as well as if anyone asked him if he has stopped beating his wife?

As for the OP, how much more money we could get for the schools if it was not laundered through the feds?

What value is added by sending it to DC and then getting it back?

For all the money spent by the Dept of Education, how much has test scores gone up?

TX has done a much better job than other states with similar demographics.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,911,348 times
why was this topic moved to the TX thread--
stuff like this topic gets moved off the local agenda more often than not

Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 PM

464 posts, read 660,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You really need to understand how much Federal money the state of Texas gets under Perry
Any money the Feds "give" to Texas is stolen. The Federal Government is largely unnecessary, and larcenous.

However, please point out to me what I need to know. I am eager to learn!

Old 02-18-2012, 03:42 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,091,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
What's the point of this thread? More Perry bashing? Might as well as if anyone asked him if he has stopped beating his wife?
Has Rick Perry stopped beating his wife?

Me must, since I read it here. Texas Education and the Federal Government

Old 02-18-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daminos View Post
Any money the Feds "give" to Texas is stolen. The Federal Government is largely unnecessary, and larcenous.

However, please point out to me what I need to know. I am eager to learn!
Stolen? How to you figure? Every dime of it is voluntarily sent in by Texas residents.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:41 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,618,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Stolen? How to you figure? Every dime of it is voluntarily sent in by Texas residents.
Oh c'mon CapR! I don't know if you are being facitious or not, my friend (and I mean that sincerely! ), but I want to have my say on this one.

Just assuming (and yeah, yeah, I know the answer to that one! LOL)...you are being straight up in your use of the adverb "voluntary", I call BS!

I am not (at least not yet! LOL) a "secessionist", but I totally agree with a few of the earlier posters who ask/question/object to the seeming default assumption that the feds are being "generous" for giving us (meaning Texans), back...what belonged to us to begin with. The federal government has far exceeded -- as has for decades -- its original constitutional authority to tax and spend on things/bureaus/departments/subsidies/etc., that were never its business to begin with.

Why the hell thank these fed thieves for sending our own money back to us?. Forgive the french but screw that and screw them. (of course, I am backtracking to repeat that I mean the above sentiment in no note of disrespect, personally...which I hope goes without saying, anyway).

Anyway, as it applies? The Department of Education has done nothing but nothing to improve a damn thing in those terms. Let Texas take care of its own business and let California or Alabama and Massachussets or Tenneessee take care of their own.

Gawdamighty...what is it in this day and age that makes so many suck the teat of the Fed Nanny...and think we are getting a good deal...?

Old 02-19-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Oh c'mon CapR! I don't know if you are being facitious or not, my friend (and I mean that sincerely! ), but I want to have my say on this one.

Just assuming (and yeah, yeah, I know the answer to that one! LOL)...you are being straight up in your use of the adverb "voluntary", I call BS!

I am not (at least not yet! LOL) a "secessionist", but I totally agree with a few of the earlier posters who ask/question/object to the seeming default assumption that the feds are being "generous" for giving us (meaning Texans), back...what belonged to us to begin with. The federal government has far exceeded -- as has for decades -- its original constitutional authority to tax and spend on things/bureaus/departments/subsidies/etc., that were never its business to begin with.

Why the hell thank these fed thieves for sending our own money back to us?. Forgive the french but screw that and screw them. (of course, I am backtracking to repeat that I mean the above sentiment in no note of disrespect, personally...which I hope goes without saying, anyway).

Anyway, as it applies? The Department of Education has done nothing but nothing to improve a damn thing in those terms. Let Texas take care of its own business and let California or Alabama and Massachussets or Tenneessee take care of their own.

Gawdamighty...what is it in this day and age that makes so many suck the teat of the Fed Nanny...and think we are getting a good deal...?
I understand your point of view and take no offense to it. As I'm sure you know, I was refering to the comment that the Fed money was stolen, which is not the case. No one put a gun to the taxpayers heads and took anything from them without their permission. The tax laws were written with their knowledge and put into effect by representatives that the majority of each state voted into office. If we have since decided we don't like what they have done we can change that with our votes. But to claim anything was stolen is entirely disingenuous and denies the responsibility we each have as voters for the government that we have created. Odds are the majority of the people complaining never bother to vote.

In addition it is relevant to point out that Texas usually recieves more money back then it pays into the federal government. That puts Texas in the hypocritical position of sucking on the federal teat, all the while complaining vociferously about how the fed's stole our tax money from us.

PolitiFact Texas | MSNBC host Rachel Maddow says Texas routinely receives more federal dollars than Texans pay in federal taxes

Old 02-19-2012, 04:31 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,618,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I understand your point of view and take no offense to it. As I'm sure you know, I was refering to the comment that the Fed money was stolen, which is not the case. No one put a gun to the taxpayers heads and took anything from them without their permission. The tax laws were written with their knowledge and put into effect by representatives that the majority of each state voted into office. If we have since decided we don't like what they have done we can change that with our votes. But to claim anything was stolen is entirely disingenuous and denies the responsibility we each have as voters for the government that we have created. Odds are the majority of the people complaining never bother to vote.

In addition it is relevant to point out that Texas usually recieves more money back then it pays into the federal government. That puts Texas in the hypocritical position of sucking on the federal teat, all the while complaining vociferously about how the fed's stole our tax money from us.

PolitiFact Texas | MSNBC host Rachel Maddow says Texas routinely receives more federal dollars than Texans pay in federal taxes

Yes, you are correct (probably) that Texas "gets back" more tax money -- in the aggregate -- than it pays in.

But my point is, most of this tax money sent in to the feds is absolutely coerced. The federal government has no consitutional right to be involved in about 90% (including the education business) of what they are involved in. It is a joke...and can be nothing otherwise when the federal government (with coerced tax money) spends millions of dollars on telling us how large our commodes must be. Gawdamighty damn....

If you disagree with that premise, CapR? Then we are just talking past each other, anyway. It follows that while it might be "fun" for us to exchange....that neither of us will change the others' mind...

Stolen? Damn right it was. This money does not belong to the feds nor do they have the authority to spend the trillions of dollars they do. Please for gosh sakes, tell me how it is possible to resist it?

CapR...I know you are a patriot and I respect you for that and many other things. Just like I do lots of others on the Texas forum with whom I sometimes disagree...

But this one? Call me paranoid or tin-capped or kool-aide drinking or whatever the hell...but it is just beyond belief, to me, that some cannot see the writing on the wall. The federal government is bankrupt...the only thing that saves it is that it retains the authority to keep printing more and more federal reserve IOU notes. This financial insanity cannot keep going on forever...

The gol-dam Education Dept. is just a drop in the bucket...but it serves as a perfect example of Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carol...Alice In Wonderland fantasy....

I'd rather see Texas mess up its own education system with its own money, than the feds do it. Which they have....

Last edited by TexasReb; 02-19-2012 at 04:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: