Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 09:35 AM

437 posts, read 925,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I don't get why this is the popular perception, but Lubbock actually has hardly any oil industry at all, less so than most Texas metros it would seem. The oil is with our neighbors 100 miles to the south. That said, our economy is doing relatively well because our main industries - healthcare, education, and education - tend to be stable overall despite the business cycle.
This is true--there is little to no oil industry in or around Lubbock. I worry about Lubbock's economy with all the cuts to education spending in the proposed budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 10:37 AM

109 posts, read 204,323 times
Education in Texas is in serious trouble and has been for years. There is a perception that there are teaching jobs in Texas. The myth has been circulated for years and years. There was never a teacher shortage anywhere. Yet people still believe it.

In Texas, there was a short period where we needed bilingual Spanish teachers in certain areas, especially South Texas. That ended a while ago. yet every day for years, I see people dissatisfied in their own states (Education is a mess everywhere in the US, especially Texas). People see some silly article without researching facts and they are all off to Texas for fictitious teaching jobs. I see posts like, "I want to teach history or music in Texas, which district in Dallas or Austin should I work at"?

Like you could just move and have pick of a job or district. And all young people want Austin or Dallas (where thousands of student graduate every year from local universities). There are thousand of out of work teachers here. And no jobs. In fact some districts aren't even hiring subs. Most all subs are certified teachers. It is a sad state of affairs. Universities should just stop certifying teachers for several years. I feel sorry for all the teachers out there. They have so much to deal with and get dumped on by everyone and they keep taking the hits.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
I don't get why this is the popular perception, but Lubbock actually has hardly any oil industry at all, less so than most Texas metros it would seem. The oil is with our neighbors 100 miles to the south. That said, our economy is doing relatively well because our main industries - healthcare, education, and education - tend to be stable overall despite the business cycle.
I understood when I first moved to Texas that every citizen got their own oil well. I'm still waiting for mine, 33 years later, but I'm sure it will come in soon.

Old 02-05-2011, 03:01 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
Quote:
Doh! The second education is supposed to be agriculture.

Old 02-06-2011, 08:46 AM

437 posts, read 925,326 times
Quote:
Doh! The second education is supposed to be agriculture.
Agriculture is a bright spot right now. Commodity prices are sky-high. However, it looks like rising fuel prices may put a damper on those profits too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas