Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate your stance on protecting "museum treasures" from serious threats.
I would work to save them from natural disaster but not looting. 1 9.09%
I would put myself in harm's way to save irreplaceable treasures. 4 36.36%
In America the police/army/national guard can be trusted to save them. 4 36.36%
I don't care that strongly about any museum/gallery/artifact to risk my safety. 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 07:04 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

When I was watching the news about Egypt mixed in with all the local weather/power outages/traffic problems/Super Bowl hype--that is one thing that really caught my attention...

Normal, every-day Egyptians going to the local museums and using their bodies as barriers to prevent looting from their country's museums and treasures that are unique in the world...

Young Egyptians Rally to Protect Egypt's Ancient Heritage - NatGeo News Watch (http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/news/chiefeditor/2011/01/young-egyptians-protect-antiquities.html - broken link)

Protesters Are Awesome: Egyptians Form Human Shield to Protect Antiquities - Culture - GOOD

Civilians Take Over Police Duties - WSJ.com

Apparently many of the people striving to protect the museum's treasures are also those protesting but you have to admire people with a conscience who won't let their country be trashed like Iraq was...

I don't know that there is anything in OUR museums that I would be willing to put my body in front of--even the Dr. Pepper Museum in Waco...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 10:35 PM

611 posts, read 2,235,011 times
even though The Alamo and San Jacinto do not hold the same types of artifacts as the museums in Egypt if anyone thinks they will trash them or any other piece of important Texas history they better be ready for some lead in their ass from the barrel of my gun

Old 02-06-2011, 05:44 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
NO I wouldn't body block a museum, that's all stuff that's been documented, anyways. Anything in there has been photographed a million times, analyzed, measured, documented, that's all people look at, anyways, if studying it.

The real King Tut is stashed away somewhere, for all we know, he's not even there. Perhaps his real remains are in a different location for safekeeping. I saw an exhibit of King Tut and his Stuff in Toronto years ago, I swear it was copies, they didn't quite match pictures of the real stuff. the death mask of King Tut had some broken pieces on the lapiz part (the blue lines) those same lines weren't present in pictures of it. Other slight differences convinced me they were copies. Where is the real King Tut, and other stuff? Probably safely hidden somewhere while copies are on display in the Cairo museum.

Hey, King Tut can take care of himself with that creepy curse he put on his stuff!

Old 02-07-2011, 07:14 PM

398 posts, read 1,417,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
NO I wouldn't body block a museum, that's all stuff that's been documented, anyways. Anything in there has been photographed a million times, analyzed, measured, documented, that's all people look at, anyways, if studying it.

Hey, King Tut can take care of himself with that creepy curse he put on his stuff!
not that i don't completely agree with you on major stuff like king tut... but with older, larger museums a lot of stuff is kept in storage and forgotten about. there's forgotten stuff discovered in museums all the time

Old 02-08-2011, 07:04 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Human life is of greater value than any museum or material artifact that exists in this world. No.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:43 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
When I was watching the news about Egypt mixed in with all the local weather/power outages/traffic problems/Super Bowl hype--that is one thing that really caught my attention...

Normal, every-day Egyptians going to the local museums and using their bodies as barriers to prevent looting from their country's museums and treasures that are unique in the world...

Young Egyptians Rally to Protect Egypt's Ancient Heritage - NatGeo News Watch (http://blogs.nationalgeographic.com/blogs/news/chiefeditor/2011/01/young-egyptians-protect-antiquities.html - broken link)

Protesters Are Awesome: Egyptians Form Human Shield to Protect Antiquities - Culture - GOOD

Civilians Take Over Police Duties - WSJ.com

Apparently many of the people striving to protect the museum's treasures are also those protesting but you have to admire people with a conscience who won't let their country be trashed like Iraq was...

I don't know that there is anything in OUR museums that I would be willing to put my body in front of--even the Dr. Pepper Museum in Waco...
Take it back!

On a serious note; there isn't anything I'd be willing to body block or prevent from being destroyed. One thing I do wish though is Texas would learn to preserve its history instead of being so quick to tear stuff down.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
I would be willing to take a reasonable amount of risk to protect those things. Mano a Mano probably if I wasn't out numbered too bad. Unarmed against guns, no way.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:25 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,755 times
You loot, we shoot. Yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: