Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I live???
Houston 40 35.40%
Dallas 31 27.43%
Austin 42 37.17%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 02:41 PM

1,445 posts, read 3,268,510 times

Advertisements

Yes I would agree that the Riverwalk is nothing more than an overrated idiotic tourist trap. I personally LOVE the riverwalk at Las Colinas in Irving. It is based completely on all of the office complexes in the area and only gets going during the weekdays. It is still developing, but really nice to goto on the weekends when it's dead and you can have peace and quiet!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I agree with you for a change.

visiting SA may be okay, but you have to live there to feel how crappy it it.

and yes, the Riverwalk is a crap hole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 02:42 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,915 times
Default Houston's Buffalo Bayou

Lots of people are suprised to learn that Houstonians use Buffalo Bayou. It's not the Frio, but it serves for some fun. Have a look:

http://culturemap.com/site_media/uploads/photos/2010-12-08/CultureMap_B-Day_120710_boat_2.350w_263h.jpg (broken link)

http://blogs.chron.com/momhouston/dragonboats.JPG (broken link)

Old 03-20-2011, 03:30 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Yes I would agree that the Riverwalk is nothing more than an overrated idiotic tourist trap. I personally LOVE the riverwalk at Las Colinas in Irving. It is based completely on all of the office complexes in the area and only gets going during the weekdays. It is still developing, but really nice to goto on the weekends when it's dead and you can have peace and quiet!!
That Las Colinas Riverwalk is a joke. Something out of suburbia/sterile land. I'll take SA's version anyday.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Austin will be an even more vapid ghost-town by 2015.

At least they have the Austin Art House remodeled. I'm not sure if it's any good. Has anyone been to it yet? I'm sure the quality of art is an "acquired taste".
http://www.arthousetexas.org/about/

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepstein View Post
Not only that, but San Antonio has a great zoo. My family has a membership and we go probably about every other month. Generally speaking, it's one of the better zoos i've been to in this country. It's quite easy to get around the area and I have never once encountered any bad traffic on the freeways.

North and Northwest parts of San Antonio certainly bears watching over the next few decades. With higher end shopping, restaurants, and subdivisions (not to mention people) being built up like crazy, it could be a real problem for Austin down the road. San Antonio offers a substantially lower cost of living, an efficient (continously improving infastructure), and a rapidly developing North and Northwest areas. It also has nearby hillbilly country just as Austin does. Assuming this high end growth still continues, Wouldn't be surprised to see some business moving down there to escape the high costs of doing business in Austin.

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-20-2011 at 07:56 PM..

Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Las Colinas reminds me of Austin for some reason. Very sterile and bland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
That Las Colinas Riverwalk is a joke. Something out of suburbia/sterile land. I'll take SA's version anyday.

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-20-2011 at 07:54 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 AM

471 posts, read 851,166 times
Houston is by far the most international and cosmopolitan. Probably the most in the US after NYC. Take it from somebody who lived in SF before. In Houston you have an Asian population on par with CA, and a latin influence similar to that of Florida. You also have many Europeans working in Energy or Medical sector.

Dallas will feel very "Texan" to somebody from NY.

Austin is great for a university student and for families. Not so much for the working professionals. It will feel like a college town after a short while. Outside of UT, it is also not very diverse. It's only prettier (in Texas terms) compared to the other two.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:51 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfa...anding_wav.php

Last edited by Lakewooder; 03-21-2011 at 11:07 AM..

Old 03-21-2011, 10:56 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio View Post
Houston is by far the most international and cosmopolitan. Probably the most in the US after NYC. Take it from somebody who lived in SF before. In Houston you have an Asian population on par with CA, and a latin influence similar to that of Florida. You also have many Europeans working in Energy or Medical sector.

Dallas will feel very "Texan" to somebody from NY.

Austin is great for a university student and for families. Not so much for the working professionals. It will feel like a college town after a short while. Outside of UT, it is also not very diverse. It's only prettier (in Texas terms) compared to the other two.

Oh wow; everything was wrong with that first paragraph. I agree with the rest though.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:07 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QhmPbWadts

Old 03-21-2011, 11:16 AM

471 posts, read 851,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Oh wow; everything was wrong with that first paragraph. I agree with the rest though.
Please enlighten me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas